Graphics Cards related queries here.

happy17292

Ambassador of Buzz
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

i am confused. i want to buy 768MB GTX460, but i am worried, will it work fine on games for 2years? i mean i dont want to use it if new games require only 1GB and above. what is future proofing with 768MB?

i dont play @ high res.
i use 1024X768. sometimes 1280X1024 not more.
and i dont want to buy 1GB if 768MB is equally future proof

Hello guys,

1. i want to buy GTX460 768MB can anyone plz mention price of different brands?

2. Also i want an SMPS too. here only hytech, iball,odyssey, enter etc. local SMPS are available. they barely give 16A on +12V. i found a dealer who sells zebronics products. i can get any zeb. SMPS from there.

should i buy this?
Products - Pro Series, Power Supplies, Computer Cabinets, Keyboards, Mouses, Speakers, Web Cameras, Jet, Hawk, Shivaji, Antibiotic

this has twin +12V rail with 19A on each. what that means? 19A total or 38A ? [19+19A]

review says GTX460 768MB requires 24A on +12V rails

or shud i go for iball sprinter 450/500W ?
iBall ? Your eyeball view. Our technology new.

[not sure about +12V Amperage]

NO CM,TAGAN, Gigabyte, VIP etc. are available and i cant buy online.

3. i will buy when southern islands will launch. how much price fall is expected?

thx.

Those Local PSUs will damage your circuit anytime and their efficiency is not even 50%. Go for either Corsair, XFX, Antec or Seasonic. All of them comes with 5 yr warranty have efficiency of more than 80% and will make your rig bullet proof.

I think Corsair PSUs are now a days available all over india

i am confused. i want to buy 768MB GTX460, but i am worried, will it work fine on games for 2years? i mean i dont want to use it if new games require only 1GB and above. what is future proofing with 768MB?

i dont play @ high res.
i use 1024X768. sometimes 1280X1024 not more.
and i dont want to buy 1GB if 768MB is equally future proof

At that resolution it will be an Overkill for next 10 yrs. You don't even need a GTX 460 for such a low resolution unless you wanna go for eyefinity or DX11 games.

trishankur

Broken In

the amd radeon 6800 series launching tomorrow... when it will be available in indian local market?????

happy17292

Ambassador of Buzz

At that resolution it will be an Overkill for next 10 yrs. You don't even need a GTX 460 for such a low resolution unless you wanna go for eyefinity or DX11 games.

i have LCD too. which i have not used for 8months :))
but i will start using it again. or maybe i will buy a new 22" LCD next year.

so i am buying that card

plz tell me future proofing of 768MB. i am worried if the games start supporting GPUs with 1GB and above. 768MB will be total waste

kadirmkarthik

Broken In

hi guys,
i am very less informative about graphics cards and doesnt really till now understand the importance of them.
y there s need for such costly graphic cards? will the games work on cheaper ones? i m asking because i previously had asus mobo and i played AOE3 with that one without a single graphic card. it was struggling for some scenes but i have completed the whole game without a graphic card(may b due to tat i lost tat board).
can any one of you tell bout the importance of those costly cards, can we get adjusted wit some cheaper ones n still play games like mafia2?
wats tat geforce, radeon hd, gtx? i dont understand inspite of repeated surfing.which one to choose and when?
some say intel procc go well wit nvidia and amd wit ati, is tat true?
some mo.bo companies produce gr.cards,,,,are those to be used wit those mo.bo alone?
please reply me so tat i can get some information.

PHP:
p4 3.2ghz, Foxconn 945GZ7MC-RS2H, transcend 1gb ddr2, seagate 160gb, lg crt -15", sony combo drive, logitech m&kb combo, creative inspire 4.1

vwad

In the zone

hi guys,
i am very less informative about graphics cards and doesnt really till now understand the importance of them.
y there s need for such costly graphic cards? will the games work on cheaper ones? i m asking because i previously had asus mobo and i played AOE3 with that one without a single graphic card. it was struggling for some scenes but i have completed the whole game without a graphic card(may b due to tat i lost tat board).
can any one of you tell bout the importance of those costly cards, can we get adjusted wit some cheaper ones n still play games like mafia2?
wats tat geforce, radeon hd, gtx? i dont understand inspite of repeated surfing.which one to choose and when?
some mo.bo companies produce gr.cards,,,,are those to be used wit those mo.bo alone?

PHP:
p4 3.2ghz, Foxconn 945GZ7MC-RS2H, transcend 1gb ddr2, seagate 160gb, lg crt -15", sony combo drive, logitech m&kb combo, creative inspire 4.1

Please try and use formal language when you are on support and help forums. :) Just a suggestion.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

The HD6870 and HD6850 this time round are going to be mid end parts. So the HD5870 will still be stronger.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

^ so there prices will be less than HD5870 and HD5850 respectively.

hi guys,

can any one of you tell bout the importance of those costly cards,

It's hard to explain to you if don't play modern games like COD MW2, Crysis, FC2, WIC, etc.

These modern games requires way more gpu power than old games and that's why we need a powerful gpu to enjoy them fully using highest possible gfx settings.

They may run on some modern day IGP but they will be like slideshow but on a discrete gfx card of they will give better performance.

Just try running crysis or WIC at your monitor's maximum settings with all the gfx settings of the game maxed out and you will know why you need a gfx card.

can we get adjusted wit some cheaper ones n still play games like mafia2?

to enjoy mafia 2 get at least a HD5770 around 10k or HD5670 @ 5k.

modern day gfx cards uses pci-e x16 slot - so if mobo has one pci-e x16 slot you can use manufacturers pci-e gfx card with any manufacturers mobo - there's no limitation.

iwhich gfx card you want to buy depends on at what resolution you want to play and what gfx settings you like to have and what's your budget for a gfx card.

that's not true.

PHP:
[/QUOTE]

BTW, your mobo has pcie- x16 though it's operate at x4 speed so I would recommend you a complete system upgrade along with a gfx card.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

hi guys,

PHP:

Just to add - on and give perspective to what TopGear mentioned. The reason a GPU/VGA as a discrete unit is needed because games require real time 3D renderings. For this to happen complex calculations to extreme floating points have to be done. Imagine a 3D image as a polygon mesh. These are joined together, and each mesh has to be computed / rendered over and over. Via using an accelerator these complex tasks can be 'off loaded' to the GPU and the CPU can 'manage' various other tasks. Ideally the ultimate goal is to render the frames as quick as possible to get a smooth and realistic feel. This is knows as FPS (framer per second). The more powerful the card is the more fps it can generate. Geforce and Radeon are the gaming product GPUs manufactured by nVidia and ATI (now AMD) respectively.

Here is a good article on GPU functionality. Hope it helps.

i have LCD too. which i have not used for 8months :))
but i will start using it again. or maybe i will buy a new 22" LCD next year.

so i am buying that card

plz tell me future proofing of 768MB. i am worried if the games start supporting GPUs with 1GB and above. 768MB will be total waste

To be on safer side a GTX460 1GB is still an overkill for a resolution of 1680 X 1050. Therefore it will support games upto next 5 yrs under that resolution. Try OCing your CPU and GPU and your PC will remain future proof for years to come

funkysourav

What The.... !!!

hd5870>hd6870>hd5850>hd6850>gtx 460 1gb=>gtx 460 768mb=>hd5830>hd5770

WAT!!:flu-surprised3:..u mean 5870 performs better than 6870?..R u sure??Isn't it supposed to be the other way round?

it IS other way round
No it is not the other way around:-D

what i have posted is completely correct
HD68XX series has been launched today
you can head over to Anandtech, Techpowerup reviews to see for yourself
*www.anandtech.com/show/3987/amds-radeon-6870-6850-renewing-competition-in-the-midrange-market/6

6870 was never meant to replace HD5870
HD6870 is practically competing with GTX470 and is somewhat better than HD 5850
but it falls short of HD5870:)

Last edited:

funkysourav

What The.... !!!

the replacement for the HD5870 and HD5970 will be launched at mid November at earliest
don't get confused by the confusing model numbers

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

if the HD57**, HD58** & HD68** is confusing, think what will happen when AMD brings out the HD67** & HD 66** parts. most probably, 5series will be EOL.

damngoodman999

damnbadman666

@ funkysourav

Here's the review

HIS Radeon HD 6870 1 GB Review - Page 1/33 | techPowerUp

I wish only price of HD 6870 with 15K

Top Bottom