Graphics Cards related queries here.

abhidev

Human Spambot
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

HD6xxx series releasing in next 10days.....gosh should hv waited for few more months...

Gollum

Collector

No extra connector means you have the slowest 9600gt there is. That extra socket is for, i don't know, some service crap i guess but surely not for power. I'd recommend not soldering or doing any hardware change to the card.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

Got the 9600gt. its in my system as i type this.
but this card did not have any extra pcie connectors on the board.but running fine.
although the card does have a 2 header slot, next to where the gpu fan cable is connected to card. there is a corresponding two pin header cable.
the cable/header is like the ones on the motherboard(like the front panel/hdd indicator). what is its use?

congrats!

the power connector less card means it's eco edition card with reduced gpu and memory clock speed - so it will perform less than GT240 but nontheless it will perform better than your previous card. Can you post a GPU-Z screenshot of your card ?

BTW, they have not charged you anything for this card - right ? have you gotten a box packed card or a bare card only ?

That connector is for HDMI audio provided you are using a HDMI cable and compatible monitor/TV with speakers built in.

clear_lot

Journeyman

^ thanks a lot for the info! :):)

yeah its the low power/low profile version.

*gpuz.techpowerup.com/10/10/15/447.png

but i OC it to the standard 9600gt levels of 650/1650/1800 without any problems. is stable.

then i OC it to 750/1850/1800. its stable there also. though about 3-4 fps in crysis warhead.(is it worth it?) temps are ok. about 68C at 100% RPM.

i did not pay anything for it ! :grin::grin: but yeah i sent it for RMA on 23 AUGUST.

it came in a complete box, complete with the manual(who needs them really?), installation instructions, obsolete driver CD, the cable, card, " DO NOT DISTURB.I'M GAMING" door hanger. nice box though.

Krow

Crowman

Just a small point clear_lot.
manual(who needs them really?)
Keep the manual safe. It is very useful. Comes in handy on that one time in a trillion that you may run into some trouble. It also helps others trying to sort any problem you may have. Great book for technical reference.

Enjoy gaming. :)

aarnav03

Right off the assembly line

Is Nividia 9800 GX2 good for hardcore gamming.i am a great fan of just cause 2,assassins creed 2,saboteur etc.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.

HD6xxx series releasing in next 10days.....gosh should hv waited for few more months...

hahaha...in dat case the user will have 2 wait always for a better card..

HD4XXX ---> HD5XXX ---> HD6XXX ---> HD7XXX ---> still waiting for so long..
damm..i have waited since HD4XXX now i can wait for HD8XXX....

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

@ clear_lot - thanks for providing clear infos - you got a great card ( compared to the previous one ).

I really have to deal with those ( jerks ) Rashi guys regarding a gfx card in the next couple of days - will disclose my story later as I'm waiting for what's they are going to do.

you are getting great OC speed with that eco edition card - enjoy your gaming time.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

Is Nividia 9800 GX2 good for hardcore gamming.i am a great fan of just cause 2,assassins creed 2,saboteur etc.

it's very old and power hungry card and is not good for gaming anymore - the best dual gpu card from nvidia you can get is GTX 295 ( 2x GTX 275 Slied on the pcb ).

BTW, what's your system config - post in details.

quad_core

CyberdyneSystems Model101

I am facing one wired issue here. Now a days ,(MSI GTX 460 CYCLONE 1GB) my frame rates have started to drop in BBC2 , F1 2010 and Mafia II. When there is smoke, or water or some extra details in the game, the game actually runs slow such that i experience lag . I play all the above games at 1920 X 1080 with highest settings . Dont know why. Dont remember , but i think i played with some settings in the nvidia control panel, but later I restored them...Now I am getting really worried ..Now I will reinstall the drivers and upgrade to version 260.89 beta... lets hope there's no issue with the card .. This is really getting me worried... :x

clear_lot

Journeyman

@ clear_lot - thanks for providing clear infos - you got a great card ( compared to the previous one ).

I really have to deal with those ( jerks ) Rashi guys regarding a gfx card in the next couple of days - will disclose my story later as I'm waiting for what's they are going to do.

you are getting great OC speed with that eco edition card - enjoy your gaming time.

yeah its a good card. my latest stable OC is 720/1850/1030.
in furmark, max temp reaches 81c.

in crysis warhead, i play at
settings--> everything enthusiast, 1152x864, no AA.
i get about 25-27 FPS, which looks very smooth. max temp is 67c.

is it better to enable some AA and lose FPS? personally, i enabled upto 8XQ AA and found no subjective difference from no AA.

I found out that in this game, i can shoot the birds that are flying (the little black dots in the sky)?

sasuke

Broken In

I am facing one wired issue here. Now a days ,(MSI GTX 460 CYCLONE 1GB) my frame rates have started to drop in BBC2 , F1 2010 and Mafia II. When there is smoke, or water or some extra details in the game, the game actually runs slow such that i experience lag . I play all the above games at 1920 X 1080 with highest settings . Dont know why. Dont remember , but i think i played with some settings in the nvidia control panel, but later I restored them...Now I am getting really worried ..Now I will reinstall the drivers and upgrade to version 260.89 beta... lets hope there's no issue with the card .. This is really getting me worried... :x

open the nvidia control panel from taskbar, or right click on desktop and choose the option to set all settings to default.

if it doesnt help, then remove the software and drivers then reinstall the latest again and the choose the option of default settings.
it has to work coz it worked for me once.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

yeah its a good card. my latest stable OC is 720/1850/1030.
in furmark, max temp reaches 81c.

in crysis warhead, i play at
settings--> everything enthusiast, 1152x864, no AA.
i get about 25-27 FPS, which looks very smooth. max temp is 67c.

is it better to enable some AA and lose FPS? personally, i enabled upto 8XQ AA and found no subjective difference from no AA.

I found out that in this game, i can shoot the birds that are flying (the little black dots in the sky)?

if you did not find any significant difference in visual quality then there's no point in enabling it.

WoW - that's new - never knew that before.

jakeichan1986

Right off the assembly line

The sole reason is the Graphics card itself, Jaskanwar . Phenom 9950 is a very good processor and on per with Core 2 Quad 6600. P 9850 and 9950 are free of the TLB bug and also having 2 MB L3 Cache. You can check the review in Tom's Hardware.

If you wanna play WoW at full HD resolution with over 30 fps then minimum a Radeon HD 5650 is required. Get the 1 GB version. your current PSU will be well enough for it. If you want a little extra punch in all the games, then the choice is either HD 5750 or Nvidia GTS 450.
But if you can spend the money, then get GTX 460 768 MB @ 10.5k
Although your current PSU may support those cards, but a PSU upgrade will be advisable.
Also Phenom 9950 is a Black Edition processor and has good over clocking potential. Try to over-clock it to 2.8~2.9 GHz.

And regarding PSU, as Jas said, a 850 is a super overkill. Go for Corsair TX550
, more than enough for your configuration.

Hi Jas & Cilus,
thanks..
am planning to upgrade the rig by feb or march 2011..
to a i7 and better supported board..
thats the reason i chose the 850..

About the gfx cards..
is there a possibility my current PSU i.e. Zeb 500w Platinum srs with 22A @ 12v rail, support a current generation gfx card, the reason i chose ATI was because of its lower power consumption.

&Cilus, i am playing @ lower resolution right now, but, its kinda icky, i am not able to play well due to the small screen..

depends on which brand you want to get-

MSI GTX 460 1GB HAWK is the best one to buy around ~14k.

Zotac GTX 460 1GB should be 12.9k

Also you may get some POV GTX 460 1GB cards.

I am planning to buy a Galaxy GTX 460 (1GB Version). It is such a great card, if Overclocked, it can perform as good as HD5850. How much does it cost in Delhi?

Finally I baught MSI Cyclone GTX 460 1GB for 12,900/. Was it a good deal or I could have got it for even less?

quad_core

Finally I baught MSI Cyclone GTX 460 1GB for 12,900/. Was it a good deal or I could have got it for even less?

Dude its a kickass card!! and you got it at really nice price. I got the same card a few days ago... or max a month ago for 14 k ...Its really runs cool because of its " cyclone" cooler:evil:

quad_core

open the nvidia control panel from taskbar, or right click on desktop and choose the option to set all settings to default.

if it doesnt help, then remove the software and drivers then reinstall the latest again and the choose the option of default settings.
it has to work coz it worked for me once.

I reinstalled the driver... this time the 260.89 beta version.. I think the problem has sorted out... but as it is i think Mafia 2 puts up quite a load at 1920*1080 at full settings.. But BFBC2 's frame rates also suffer sometimes... dont know why.. does any one have the same issue? Or
Am I playing at high resoultion , that its stressing the card too much , but i think gtx460 can handle this much load, cant it??Am I expecting too much from GTX460 ??:-?

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

^^
With all maxed out an 1080pi your card will stutter at times on BC2. What have you set DoF..?

rajan1311

Padawan

tried reducing AA?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

@ maverick786us - you got a nice deal and congrats for your new card - enjoy some great gaming time.

Top Bottom