GPU NEWS Channel

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
Anybody know when the Price cut of HD 7990 will be confirmed in India?

Does AMD Supports Asymmetric CF? and is it good to do so? Like- 7970+7990?

d3p

PowerHouse
Anybody know when the Price cut of HD 7990 will be confirmed in India?

Does AMD Supports Asymmetric CF? and is it good to do so? Like- 7970+7990?

Yes, it does support AF Crossfire, since HD5xxx [Well i'm not sure about HD4xxx series]

You can CF, 7990 with 7970 & its going to act like Tri CF 7970.

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
Then I can right away buy a Gigabyte HD7970 for now and then wait for some price drop with HD7990. ??

Will the FP issue prominent in Asymmetric CF?

d3p

PowerHouse
Then I can right away buy a Gigabyte HD7970 for now and then wait for some price drop with HD7990. ??

Will the FP issue prominent in Asymmetric CF?

Yes & No : Even AMD / Radeon can't answer this.

AF Crossfire between HD 7970 & HD7990 will act like Tri-CF HD7970, since HD 7990 is a dual 7970's. The only problem, you might end up is with the support for latest released games, otherwise they are stable for single monitor application so far. Secondly, you need to have a Good PSU like AX1200.

Single HD7970 requires 500w to be in safer side & 750w for CF. Tri CF will surely need anything above 1000w.

And from my experience, avoid Eyefinity till Radeon fixes up the micro shuttering & screen tearing.

On a side note : Stick to Single Card solution, either from Nvidia or Radeon.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
7970 tri-fire does not scale that well and frame pacing is even a greater issue with 3 cards.
Besides, the humongous power consumption is not at all worthy of a recommendation. A GTX 780 sli consumes far far lesser power and performs consistently better.

For single monitor with this much money involved, a single 780 or 760 sli makes sense.

d3p

PowerHouse
7970 tri-fire does not scale that well and frame pacing is even a greater issue with 3 cards.
Besides, the humongous power consumption is not at all worthy of a recommendation. A GTX 780 sli consumes far far lesser power and performs consistently better.

For single monitor with this much money involved, a single 780 or 760 sli makes sense.

Exactly, 7970 Trifire will be a Big Overkill for 1920x1080.

But if we talk about Performance, then Tri HD7970 would smoke GTX780 SLI. But again, its CCC, who is the culprit.

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
Hm, So better stick with Single HD 7990 and later CF it.

Any news of Latest GPUS coming in September?

d3p

PowerHouse
Hm, So better stick with Single HD 7990 and later CF it.

Any news of Latest GPUS coming in September?

Hmm, not exactly. Buy a Single HD7970 or GTX 770 for now. HD 7990 cost close to 70k-75k & its not worthy at that price tag.

As of now, Single GTX770 or HD 7970 are enough for 1080p gaming.

After a year sell it off & grab the next generation Card instead of CF or anything else.

If money is not a concern, then Grab a single GTX titan & Sli it later.

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
Hmm, not exactly. Buy a Single HD7970 or GTX 770 for now. HD 7990 cost close to 70k-75k & its not worthy at that price tag.

As of now, Single GTX770 or HD 7970 are enough for 1080p gaming.

After a year sell it off & grab the next generation Card instead of CF or anything else.

If money is not a concern, then Grab a single GTX titan & Sli it later.

There is a Huge Price Cutt Imposed by AMD on HD 7990 , you know that?

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
There is a Huge Price Cutt Imposed by AMD on HD 7990 , you know that?

Why don't you give the 760 sli a try? At 40k, it will simply kill a 7970 or 770 at 1080p and power consumption is surprisingly low too.
If you have a good ATX board ( which you have as per your siggy), then i suggest you to get two of these:

ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Graphics Card - ZOTAC: Flipkart.com

These are reference cards and the centrifugal cooler is ideal for multi-gpu setups. You'll get 5 years of zotac warranty for each card and performance is much much higher than a single 7970/770.

You'll save considerable amount of money with considerable performance to boot. This is a better choice than a 7990 whose cost is not at all justifiable in an Indian context. Spending more than 40k for 1080p gaming is not wise.

SLI is pretty consistent too. No issues on that front. Geforce drivers also automatically download latest sli game profiles as soon as they release.
I strongly recommend to invest in a 760 sli. Even AMD's upcoming flagship gpu against titan won't beat this combo.

760 SLI is faster than GTX TITAN and just below a 690 and costing 20k less.

GeForce GTX 760 SLI review - Introduction

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
Why don't you give the 760 sli a try? At 40k, it will simply kill a 7970 or 770 at 1080p and power consumption is surprisingly low too.
If you have a good ATX board ( which you have as per your siggy), then i suggest you to get two of these:

ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Graphics Card - ZOTAC: Flipkart.com

These are reference cards and the centrifugal cooler is ideal for multi-gpu setups. You'll get 5 years of zotac warranty for each card and performance is much much higher than a single 7970/770.

You'll save considerable amount of money with considerable performance to boot. This is a better choice than a 7990 whose cost is not at all justifiable in an Indian context. Spending more than 40k for 1080p gaming is not wise.

SLI is pretty consistent too. No issues on that front. Geforce drivers also automatically download latest sli game profiles as soon as they release.
I strongly recommend to invest in a 760 sli. Even AMD's upcoming flagship gpu against titan won't beat this combo.

760 SLI is faster than GTX TITAN and just below a 690 and costing 20k less.

GeForce GTX 760 SLI review - Introduction

I have considered this Option Vicky, its just that I will extend my Monitor setup soon. Increase my Resolution may be.
So i am hopping for a GTX 780 for now or wait for Upcoming AMD Hawaii .
I just want to take some Advance Architecture on desk, and this 760 and 770 are same like there previous versions.
While GTX 780 is new and based on TITAN's PCB
Suggest me something like that
I hope you understand my point,

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
GALAXY GeForce GTX 780 Hall of Fame Edition [ HOF ] - fastest GTX 780 ;-)

The GALAXY GeForce GTX 780 HOF Edition runs at a 1006MHz base clock with a boost clock at 1058MHz. However, thanks to the improved cooling, our GALAXY 780 HOF runs at a real-time frequency of 1.1GHz while gaming, in every game!

Compare that with the reference GeForce GTX 780 which runs at 863MHz base clock and 900MHz boost clock. Our real-world GPU frequency while gaming, with our reference GTX 780 got up to just 900MHz, while gaming, right at the boost clock. Therefore, a reference 780 runs at 900MHz while gaming, and the GALAXY GTX 780 HOF Edition runs at 1.1GHz while gaming, a whopping 200MHz faster out-of-the-box.

The second feature you should take note of is the Hyper Boost technology. This engages proprietary circuitry on the video card to allow higher core clocks. Quoting GALAXY:

Pressing the Hyper Boost button engages special circuitry and internal optimizations, pushing clock speeds into overdrive and raising fan speeds accordingly. Hyper Boost increases core clocks by up to 8% beyond GPU Boost 2.0’s dynamic overclocking function and users’ custom OC settings. Multiple world record benchmark scores have been broken already as a result.

*www.hardocp.com/images/articles/1376280388OaKRudmCMk_1_7_l.jpg

*www.hardocp.com/images/articles/1376280388OaKRudmCMk_1_11_l.jpg

Now here goes the cooler and custom white PCB [ after a long time I'm seeing a white PCB ] :)

The third feature, which is unique, is GALAXY’s advanced dual fan cooler with hybrid vapor chamber heat pipe design. The GALAXY GTX 780 HOF uses a combination of vapor chamber and heat pipes. There is a 70x70mm vapor chamber on top of the GPU. There are four 70mm nickel plated heat pipes. Then there are dual 90mm low noise EBR liquid bearing fans on board. GALAXY is using a fire-resistant polycarbonate, anodized metal and die-cast aluminum alloy housing. While the "TITAN reference cooler" GTX 780 runs up to 80c, the GALAXY GTX 780 HOF Edition should run about 10 degrees cooler, at 70c, maximizing GPU Boosts capabilities. It should also be a few degrees cooler at idle.

The fourth feature is that the GALAXY GTX 780 HOF Edition is using high quality custom components on a custom white printed circuit board. GALAXY is employing CHiL CHL8318 VR11.1 compliant top-of-the-line digital PWM with an 8+2 phase power. For reference, reference GTX 780 is 6+2 phase. There are high quality POSCAP capacitors on board for longer lifespan. You will find 10x Coiltronics copper high frequency high current power inductors rated for up to 70A at 125C. There is an IR3550 PowIRstage DrMOS 4.0 compliant chipset which replaces multiple MOSFETs and driver chips in a single package. It provides a massive 60A current at up to 90% efficiency. The GALAXY GTX 780 HOF is able to deliver up to 480 amps of current to the GPU. As mentioned, there is a custom 10-layer white PCB with optimal signal routing used.

All of this won’t be cheap of course, the current street price and MSRP for the GALAXY GTX 780 HOF Edition are $689.99, which is $40 higher than a reference GTX 780. That extra $40 buys you a fully customized video card that ships with the highest real-time GPU frequency in games we’ve seen yet, incredible overclocking headroom, and an extremely efficient cooler.

HARDOCP - GALAXY GeForce GTX 780 HOF Edition - GALAXY GeForce GTX 780 HOF Edition Review

Gollum

Collector
GALAXY GeForce GTX 780 Hall of Fame Edition [ HOF ] - fastest GTX 780 ;-)

*www.hardocp.com/images/articles/1376280388OaKRudmCMk_1_7_l.jpg

*www.hardocp.com/images/articles/1376280388OaKRudmCMk_1_11_l.jpg
[/url]

White PCB, I likes
Something new for a change.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Nvidia does not want to lose the crown of "fastest gpu in the world" anytime sooner.

Check the following:
Report: Nvidia Making Dual-GK110 Graphics Card

Titan Ultra will feature full 2880 sp's whereas the rumored 790 will feature two GK110 chips in a single PCB.
Considering kepler's unmatched efficiency, Nvidia might actually pull this off.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
hmm, heard about Titant Ultra and GTX 790 before but I'm more interested in Maxell and it's 20nm version - despite of TSMC's limitation they can at-least send some review samples to give us an idea how good these cards can perform.

Top Bottom