GPU NEWS Channel

Heard that only the desktop GPU's from AMD are rebranded, even in that the HD 8670 and 8570 are new and that the mobile GPUS HD 8000M series are new. Can any one confirm wether the mobile GPUS are new or rebranded??!!

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
*www.techpowerup.com/img/13-01-31/306a.jpg

This is apparently the performance figures of Geforce 780 Titan, for reference a 690 scores around X6000.

Source

tkin

Back to school!!
^^
*media.giantbomb.com/uploads/1/16071/2147093-un_mother_of_god_meme_rage_face.jpg

WTH is this sorcery?

A SLI would... I don't eve...

Dad, dad, sell the car asap :D :D

amjath

Human Spambot
From older reports, we know that the GeForce Titan is expected to ship sooner than most people think, some time in February.
WTH really

Edit: Not 700 Series still GK110 chip [kepler]. Unnecessary shock

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
I won't be surprised if this is true.

Earlier we showed you the upcoming GeForce Titan, and explained that the performance would be at around 85 percent of that of the GeForce GTX 690. In light of new rumors, according to WCCF, this might not be the case, and the GeForce Titan might actually exceed the performance of the GTX 690.

Nvidia's GeForce Titan will be based on the GK110 GPU, a GPU previously only found on Nvidia's Tesla cards, the K20 and K20X.

The rumors haven't been verified since PCOnline has not named their source, but claim that it is a reliable source. Their source says that the GeForce Titan scores X7107 points in 3DMark11, in extreme mode, a massive jump above the GTX 690. The GTX 690 alone already scores just shy from X6000 points with the same benchmark under the same conditions. The most staggering part though is that the Titan, a single GPU part, outperforms the GTX 690, a dual-GPU part.

Another leak indicates that the GeForce Titan's PCB is similar to that of the GTX 680, but will carry 6GB of 384-bit memory.

Other reports suggest that the upcoming GeForce Titan will also not be called the GeForce GTX 780, nor will it take a GTX 600 series name. It will simply be called the GeForce Titan, likely inspired by the by the Cray Titan supercomputer, which houses nearly 19 thousand Nvidia Tesla K20X cards.

Availability is rumored to be around the end of February with a hefty MSRP of $899.

This thing is just round the corner and if these leaks are true, then get ready to expect the unexpected.
Another rumor suggests this card to be called simply "Geforce Titan" instead of Gtx 7xx which sounds intriguing.
Its compute ready too owing to GK110. Hope it manages to match GCN in compute.

If at $899 it manages to beat a 690 and that too in a single gpu avatar, it will be extremely VFM. The tdp at 225w for a card of this level is great too.
Its going to be an interesting battle for top spot.

Report: Nvidia GeForce Titan Might Outperform GTX 690

Cilus

laborare est orare
A $899 card can never be VFM, especially when it only beats a similarly priced components.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
A $899 card can never be VFM, especially when it only beats a similarly priced components.

It is, considering it has a single gpu. Nvidia wasn't bluffing when they said gk104 to be a midrange part.
The performance jump looks ginormous if this info is even a bit true. This isn't even a new architecture but benefits from the amazing efficiency of kepler.

Holygrail for gamers going for multimonitor setups. With the advent of next-gen consoles, this kind of graphics horsepower should be expected from PC to keep up with them.
I'm interested in its compute power though. If it keeps up with GCN, it will be a big achievement from nvidia considering the gaming power and TDP mainly.

tkin

Back to school!!
Why not, lets do the math, 2x7970 is $800(not taking in deals etc), now the price for titan is $899, price increase is 12.5%, now 7970CF is ~10% faster than 690, okay? Now performance increase is about 20%(690 vs titan), so in turn the Titan is 10% faster than 7970CF, at a cost increase of just 12.5%, now add two more things, power draw of 7970CF(GPU only) is ~500 watt, lets say titan draws 300W(considering PCIE spec), so that's 40% less power consumption, even if titan draws draws 400W(be realistic people, compute engines draw power, remember 480?), still 20% less power consumption, so Titan wins, period. BUT ONLY AGAINST 7970CF, nothing else, any one buying this for less than 3 monitors is an idiot(I would be one if I had the cash).

PS: Also note no more compute problems, and CUDA as a compute platform is more mature than OpenCL, nVidia has developed it a lot. Plus opencl would also work good on Titan suppose.

tkin

Back to school!!
It's gonna compete with 8970, not 7970. :neutral:
It all depends on how fast 8970 compared to 7970 is, 20% increase still puts titan in a comfortable position to match dual 8970 setup, but any more than that it looses its value, buuuut, remember as a single GPU 8970 will never beat Titan, no way, so it'll be a fight between 8970CF and Titan and their price points, value for money and power consumption, remember nVidia won power consumption last round, and held a comfortable lead over value for money for over 6 months, titan looks exciting, a jump of over a f'n 140%, this is unheard of, even 5xxx series couldn't do that over 4xxx series. And all from a single GPU, dual titan, monstahh kill.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
It all depends on how fast 8970 compared to 7970 is, 20% increase still puts titan in a comfortable position to match dual 8970 setup, but any more than that it looses its value, buuuut, remember as a single GPU 8970 will never beat Titan, no way, so it'll be a fight between 8970CF and Titan and their price points, value for money and power consumption, remember nVidia won power consumption last round, and held a comfortable lead over value for money for over 6 months, titan looks exciting, a jump of over a f'n 140%, this is unheard of, even 5xxx series couldn't do that over 4xxx series. And all from a single GPU, dual titan, monstahh kill.

You just need to go another generation back, when the 4870 more or less pawned the 3870X2 (and at lower price point too). ;)

I really doubt anyone can sell a 900USD single GPU card these days, people generally expect more performance at similar price point with every new generation. Unless AMD brings out a HD2000 in GCN 2.0, which seems even more unlikely.

tkin

Back to school!!
You just need to go another generation back, when the 4870 more or less pawned the 3870X2 (and at lower price point too). ;)

I really doubt anyone can sell a 900USD single GPU card these days, people generally expect more performance at similar price point with every new generation. Unless AMD brings out a HD2000 in GCN 2.0, which seems even more unlikely.
3870X2 was a really bad GPU, like really really bad. :|

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Titan's die size will also be something around 600 mm sq. That is, twice of GK104.

What's special? The price makes it a niche product. Stop over-reacting.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Titan's die size will also be something around 600 mm sq. That is, twice of GK104.

What's special? The price makes it a niche product. Stop over-reacting.

Nobody is overreacting.

Show me a gpu with 600mm sq die size( if its that big) having a tdp of 235 watt.
Even if its 300 watts, its still something special.

7970 with a 352mm sq die offers a tdp of 230 watts while ghz has 250 watts. I guess you get the point now.

[YOUTUBE]37DNZRqLzrA[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:

max_snyper

Maximum Effort!!!!!!
Titan will be just like Asus aries.......both of them would B****-a** costly and not available in enough quantity for everyone.....only select few ones will have the benefit of buying it....with money and reference BOTH.

If somebody is so rich to build a Costly System with these cards...he would better buy a car or a bike with that money...!

These days companies are just toying with the customers, providing current technologies in different forms till they perfect the new tech. is ready.

tkin

Back to school!!
Titan will be just like Asus aries.......both of them would B****-a** costly and not available in enough quantity for everyone.....only select few ones will have the benefit of buying it....with money and reference BOTH.

If somebody is so rich to build a Costly System with these cards...he would better buy a car or a bike with that money...!

These days companies are just toying with the customers, providing current technologies in different forms till they perfect the new tech. is ready.
Asus Ares series costs 2x that of titan, but still titan is costly, but a gaming setup incl. titan can be made for 120k I think, and many of us here have a system worth that much, just for example you have a 7950 card which costs 20k, I have a few friends who would think you are completely nuts for buying a graphic card for 20k and most of them could afford it easily, its just how you prioritize things. Same could be said for someone buying a 1 lakh bicycle, or a davioff perfume, cheaper things will get the job done, but still people buy it, I can bet the titan will sell like hotcake, not as much as cheaper cards, but nvidia would be able to clear stocks easily, remember the 8800 Ultra? It costed as much but sold like hotcake.

Top Bottom