GPU NEWS Channel

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
VR Zone is posting some really interesting news about AMD these days:-

AMD Next Generation Codenames Revealed: 2013, 2014, 2015 GPUs Get Names by VR-Zone.com

2013: Sea Islands

Read post #639 too.

First and foremost, Sea Islands will bring Unified Address Space between the GPU and the CPU. Furthermore, GPU will be able to page system memory using CPU pointers, bringing full memory coherency between the two. This is something even Intel doesn't have planned for its Xeon Phi (Larrabee / Knights' Corner / Knights' Ferry).

Also worth mentioning is that SI is the architecture chosen to be expanded into high-performance consoles, thus we should see quite interesting announcements regarding to vast compute and graphics capabilities carrying the next generation of console games.

2014: Volcanic Islands

Manufactured at 20nm Gate-Last process, this will be the first GPU family which AMD should be able to manufacture in Common Platform Alliance as well as its long-standing foundry partner, TSMC. Thus, AMD will have the choice between TSMC GigaFab Hsinchu/Taichung, IBM East Fishkill, GlobalFoundries in New York and Dresden or Samsung in Austin. The manufacturing flexibility will be of paramount importance, for Volcanic Islands GPU architecture will represent the pinnacle of system integration between the CPU and GPU. In terms of Fusion/FirePro APUs, which will replace the current FX/Opteron CPUs, Volcanic Islands bring silicon-level system integration. APU will extend to the Discrete GPU and treat it as one, as well as VI silicon treating the CPU as an integral part.

2015: Pirates Islands

AMD's imaginative engineers are targeting the 20nm process with 14nm APUs in mind. The real work on this GPU architecture only started recently and guessing what lies on cards is a bit too unpredictable. We know feature set, but performance… your guess is as good as ours.

max_snyper

Maximum Effort!!!!!!
@skud...is it good to play the wait game for gpu purchase or.....can we look into the options available now.....?
Coz mid-high end sea-islands or 7xx series are not going to be in India till march....and the prices to normalize will take another 2~3 months....!

Darth Vader

In the zone
@skud...is it good to play the wait game for gpu purchase or.....can we look into the options available now.....?
Coz mid-high end sea-islands or 7xx series are not going to be in India till march....and the prices to normalize will take another 2~3 months....!

wait for 2 more months if u can(no guarantee).........else bite the bullet like me :D

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member

Depends on how you look at it and what you currently have. For me, my 6950 will chug along pretty well for some more time even in DX11 titles. Also I will definitely be looking for something which will be more VFM as far as performance goes compared to my present card. Your priorities may be completely different.

In any case, prices are coming down. So, if you can't wait, this may be a good time to get hold of a shiny new one. ;)

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some more teaser:- ;)

*www.kitguru.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/AMD-Radeon-8000-8950-8970-KitGuru-launch-CeBIT-2013.jpg

We’ve learned that, right now, partners are planning to show off the Radeon HD 8970 XT at CeBIT in March – with a full launch at Computex in June.

However, the products are actually ahead of schedule, giving AMD the option to launch early if something new comes along from nVidia. If AMD is as far down the line as we suspect with its development, there will be some ‘behind closed doors’ displays for key customers in a secret hotel room in Vegas come the first week in January.

Source

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Nvidia launches gtx 650-ti. Performs much better than a 6850 and 7770 and is priced at 150$.

The only issue is the 128bit bus. Had it been a 192 bit bus, it would have beaten a 6870 as well.

GeForce GTX 650 Ti Review: Nvidia's Last Graphics Card For 2012 : GeForce GTX 650 Ti: The Last Kepler-Based Card For 2012

vkl

Cyborg Agent
HD7850 1GB is available for as low as 160$ and is a much better performer than gtx650ti whether 1GB or 2GB.

No point in comparing gtx 650ti with hd7770.
HD7770 is priced on a level with gtx650 and it does perform better than gtx 650 making hd7770 the better choice in that price range.

Without some further price cuts gtx 650ti does not look that good for the money when there are much better alternatives available in that price range.

Last edited:

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Take indian perspective into consideration. If priced under 10k here, it will be a very good buy.

iittopper

Wise Old Owl
If it launch below 10k then its good , but if not then one can buy 7850 1 gb for 12.5-13k or 560 at 9.5k

If it launch below 10k then its good , but if not then one can buy 7850 1 gb for 12.5-13k or 560 at 9.5k

vkl

Cyborg Agent
^^ Take indian perspective into consideration. If priced under 10k here, it will be a very good buy.
First of all that pricing is not certain.No point in speculating for things which are uncertain.
And even if gtx650ti is priced at 10k then by that calculation hd7850 should also be priced below 11k as it is just 10$ more making the latter a much better choice.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
First of all that pricing is not certain.No point in speculating for things which are uncertain.
And even if gtx650ti is priced at 10k then by that calculation hd7850 should also be priced below 11k as it is just 10$ more making the latter a much better choice.

It doesn't work that way mate. Yeah 650 should have been priced $10-$20 less but its not a competitor for 7850 but 7770.
660 (non-ti) is 7850's competition. Recent price cuts in amd's line up has increased value in their gpu's. Lets see what indian pricing will finally be.

vkl

Cyborg Agent
It doesn't work that way mate. Yeah 650 should have been priced $10-$20 less but its not a competitor for 7850 but 7770.
660 (non-ti) is 7850's competition. Recent price cuts in amd's line up has increased value in their gpu's. Lets see what indian pricing will finally be.
Yeah,the pricing here is uncertain.But what I wrote was in relation to way you calculated things and in that respect I don't see anything wrong.

The thing is not what is a competitor for what but which is the competitor of other in the "price range".
HD7770 performs generally better than gt650 which are priced nearly same as of now making the former the better choice.
Gtx 650ti doesn't look like a good option when it is so close to the price range of hd7850 1GB.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Radeon 7xxx series just got better with recent price cuts, new game bundle and now the Catalyst 12.11 driver.

*tpucdn.com/reviews/AMD/Catalyst_12.11_Performance/images/perfrel_1920.gif

IndianRambo

In the zone
updated my 7850 driver to catalyst 12.11. performance was great. battlefield 3 improved a lot.

bf3mp noshahr canals 64 players
12.8 driver-avg 53-57 fps @1600*900 (ultra settings)

12.11 driver-avg 65-70 fps @1600*900 (ultra settings)
note: my card overclocked @950/1200 mhz as default

Top Bottom