GPU NEWS Channel

mandarpalshikar

Why So Serious ???
What on earth AMD is upto ? Check below link... Confirmed with Techpowerup as well. They are going 7970 way for 7950 now.

Radeon HD 7950 with Boost review
AMD Radeon HD 7950: Pre- and Post-BIOS Update Comparison - Softpedia
AMD Updates Radeon HD 7950 to Thwart GeForce GTX 660 Ti | techPowerUp

They say this BIOS can be patched to any 7950 with device id 679A.... mine is 679A :) Hoping Asus releases this update within next 1 or 2 months.
This would mean that the current easily achievable overclocks for 7950 will become default speeds.

device_id.jpg

18K at max.

Zotac is pricing 660Ti AMP edition for 25K... :( that would mean they will sell non AMP at around 23K right ? Obviously prices will drop in 3 months but then the prices of competition will also drop.

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
NVIDIA's Strong-arm Tactics - How they treat GPU Partners and Media :: TweakTown USA Edition

Cameron Wilmot's bit:

We are angry; don't make any doubts about it. We are and have been angry with NVIDIA and many of its employees for many years. I could literally go on for pages about the colorful history between NVIDIA and TweakTown. The events of today prompted us to prepare a public response to NVIDIA's latest actions against us. We think it's high time that everyone knows how NVIDIA operate when the game gets heated.

First a little summary for those just tuning in now. TweakTown and NVIDIA once enjoyed a fruitful manufacturer / media relationship that worked really well. Old NVIDIA employees back in the day knew how to treat media people with respect and not carry some type of arrogant attitude that seems like a prerequisite for some (not all) NVIDIA employees these days. Our issues with NVIDIA started with not being invited to media events and later not being review sampled on various GPU launches. Sure, back then, we weren't a leading technology website as we are today, but we weren't a small fish either.

This went on for years and we were put into a position where if we wanted a launch day review of a new GPU, we really had to fight for it, beyond on what we thought was reasonable. We had to work with NVIDIA partners to get a review sample if we wanted one at all. After countless anger fueled emails to NVIDIA, we eventually realized we were fighting a losing battle. It and the associated anger and stress was just a waste of our time and surely wasn't healthy for our wellbeing. We decided at some point (I can't remember exactly) that we would just acquire samples early on our own and post the reviews when we wished. We were not under NDA by NVIDIA - heck, they'd need to have a working open dialogue with us for that to even happen.

We enjoyed massive surges in website traffic every time we posted an NDA-free review, usually one or two weeks ahead of the actual NVIDIA launch day. I've said it before, but I don't know if I've said it many times publically, but this was not to alienate our friends from other websites and magazines, and it certainly was not done out of disrespect. Some of our media friends understand the situation and others want our heads on a platter. Those in the latter category need to realize that NVIDIA could have solved this issue by supporting us just the same as any other key media partner they work with. We were not looking for any type of special treatment - just not to be treated like worthless dogs. We were put into a position where we had no other choice. Case in point right here: Shane Baxtor (our VGA editor) moved to Taiwan at the end of 2011. We contacted Melody Tu who is the local PR person looking after things for NVIDIA in the Asian region. We asked her to meet up for a meeting to try and resolve our issues. Her response was that she was "too busy" to meet us. Too busy? Fair enough.

NVIDIA's response on our early release of reviews was to prevent certain video card vendor partners from sending us video cards. I recall Galaxy being one of the first and in more recent times GIGABYTE was told not to send us samples. NVIDIA must have suspected the aforementioned companies of supplying us with video cards early and supposedly assume they have no respect for the NVIDIA NDA. But that's not true; any partner NDA we receive or told about is honored. Much like with our recent MSI GTX 660 Ti coverage - we were told the NDA and adhered to it, we even posted the review two or three minutes later to be on the safe side.

That is why it was such a shock for Shane Baxtor and I to receive an email from the MSI Marketing Department this morning. After reading the email, I instantly knew that NVIDIA had contacted MSI before hearing anything else and applied its usual pressure. The type of pressure I am talking about is threats of cutting GPU allocation to MSI if they continue to work with TweakTown. We've heard it before and we'll hear it again. Now I'm not sure if I'm lost in translation or whatever, but as far as I see, MSI is a customer of NVIDIA. NVIDIA is not a customer of MSI. They both ultimately make money together at the end of the day, but without MSI, NVIDIA would make less money than they do when we talk about GPU shipments. MSI of recent years has produced maybe the best NVIDIA GEFORCE partner video cards that we've tested and we have worked with MSI on these reviews for a long time, so it baffled us to receive the email from them. The email basically said that MSI could no longer support us with video card review samples. The latest update is that MSI will continue to support us with video card samples, after a long discussion between MSI and TweakTown today.

The thing about this email that doesn't make much sense is the fact that it claims that we broke the MSI NDA. That wasn't the case; as I mentioned above, we posted the recent review of the MIS GTX 660 Ti Power Edition a couple minutes after the NDA expired and in the past we haven't broken other MSI video card NDAs. It must be that NVIDIA assume because our first retail video card review of the new GTX 660 Ti was of an MSI product, that it must have been MSI who supplied it to us early. We aren't too sure what proof they have to go along with those claims. It seems like NVIDIA is just going after MSI (and other partners) because they can or they don't know what else to do.

This is ultimately how NVIDIA treats its partners, like ****. It's these strong-arm tactics by NVIDIA that make us incredibly mad. Now we understand that NVIDIA needs to protect their products and the interests of the company, but MSI didn't do anything wrong. Yet this is how they (and other partners) are treated. I am sure many will be shocked, and rightfully so. If we could write everything we hear about what GPU partners say about NVIDIA, you'd be shocked even more. But in the interest of those who tell us these stories, we won't.

It goes further though and this one we just have to publish...grab some popcorn. I remember earlier this year we had a face to face meeting with a certain NVIDIA GPU partner and they told us that they had developed a really kick-ass new video card cooler, but NVIDIA told them that they could not use it, as it was "too much better" than NVIDIA's own reference design cooler. Now this is where you the consumer comes in - NVIDIA blocking an awesome cooler that you could have bought and utilized because it is too much better than its own... WTF? Yeah, right. We weren't impressed one little bit either.

NVIDIA is out to stop our early GEFORCE reviews. This article is for you, our lovely readers; we want you all to be fully up to speed on what is happening behind the scenes. We are not done yet NVIDIA. Expect us.

quad_core

CyberdyneSystems Model101
^^That's bad tactics from nvidia, if this news is true .

Some more news, AMD drops prices of some of its 7000 series GPUs . This launch of GTX660Ti is proving to be a blessing for all gamers :-o

*www.tweaktown.com/news/25383/amd_drops_prices_on_high_end_cards_again/index.html

Last edited:

max_snyper

Maximum Effort!!!!!!
Best price cuts ever!!!!!!!!
From AMD

•Prices of Radeon HD 7950 Boost will go down from US $349 to $319,

•Prices of Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition will go down from $299 to $249,

•Prices of Radeon HD 7850 2GB will go down to $209, and HD 7850 1GB to $189.

WOW hd7870 Ghz In the price of hd7850....lil late but always welcome!!!!!!
BTW......the prices are gonna get in-effect from this week.....but in India from when is this price gonna reflect??????????????

Last edited:

mandarpalshikar

Why So Serious ???
^^ In India they'll take time. Distributors will wait till the stocks clear off. We dont get many buyers for cards costing more than 20k in India. The average drop would be around 3k when they are forced in India. It'll be atleast 1 to 2 months from now.

No doubt GTX680 broke all the records for single GPU catagory and GTX 670 is sligthtly better than 7950. But IMO 660Ti is being overrated by all of us. AMD is also making ripples by annoucning the BIOS update which give the 7950 boost in memory clock. But dont forget the stock 7950 can very well be overclocked without tinkering the voltages. If we try with upping the volts, the 7950 can beat stock 7970 as well. Nvidia are experts of marketing and employ some tactics to make sure that their products are always rated higher. AMD is very bad at this. And I am saying this as a Nvidia fanboy for last 10 years now.

And plus this 660Ti again has raised the question of games favouring one family of GPUs... e.g. Sleeping Dogs runs 15% to 20% faster on 7950 than on GTX670 since it is a "Gaming Evolved" title and makes use of GCN architecture. Here as well Nvidia wins since we dont have many "Gaming Evolved" titles out their. Take the case of BF3 which runs 10% to 20% faster on GTX660Ti than on a HD7950.

So I guess we'll see more of such titles which perform better on either of the two factions in near future.

max_snyper

Maximum Effort!!!!!!
From where im watching the drops......amd dropped prices last month from 350 to 299........and now to 249...............
Last drop was not registered in India it was supposed to be reflected this month so next month may be we'll see this........
A drop of 100$ for the new stocks....

what you think about this???

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Best price cuts ever!!!!!!!!
From AMD

•Prices of Radeon HD 7950 Boost will go down from US $349 to $319,

•Prices of Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition will go down from $299 to $249,

•Prices of Radeon HD 7850 2GB will go down to $209, and HD 7850 1GB to $189.

WOW hd7870 Ghz In the price of hd7850....lil late but always welcome!!!!!!
BTW......the prices are gonna get in-effect from this week.....but in India from when is this price gonna reflect??????????????

Ula la la...
At Microcenter stores, HD7850 2GB is being sold @205; HD7870 is being sold @240.

News about price drop: *www.anandtech.com/show/6175/amd-radeon-hd-7800-series-price-cuts-new-game-bundle-inbound

max_snyper

Maximum Effort!!!!!!
^^Just may be possible.....by 4th week of september.
or distributors will screw us till end of this year!!!!!!
coz previous price cuts haven't been reflected till now.

mandarpalshikar

Why So Serious ???
HD7850 @ 13k
HD7870 @ 16k
HD7950 @ 20k

possible in India by October 2012 ?? :lol:

The price drop wont be so much in India.... Dont raise your expectations so much :) . Main difference in pricing in India and markets like US & UK is the number of units being sold, which is low in India. So obviously price drops wont be so stiff for us. Expect maximum drop on 3K Rs.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
By the time these cards will be priced like that, I think the next gen will be with us. ;)

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
HD7850 @ 13k
HD7870 @ 16k
HD7950 @ 20k

possible in India by October 2012 ?? :lol:

Don't dream boi..

^^Just may be possible.....by 4th week of september.
or distributors will screw us till end of this year!!!!!!
coz previous price cuts haven't been reflected till now.

Don't worry. In India, distributors increase the price when rupee goes down, but don't decrease the price when rupee comes up.
Although, Ii can't see rupee getting back to 44 in next 1year.

max_snyper

Maximum Effort!!!!!!
@d6bmg.....i dont think rupee is gonna catch up with the dollars for the next 2 year,its not going to come close even to "44 mark"......rupee decline is heavily dependent on the other factors(will not go into details)
Till then its Diwali for distributors........! :)

+1 for that @SKUD ....btw is there a time slot set for the "sea islands"...?
And i couldn't find this MSI card any where......link: *www.msi.com/product/vga/R7870-2GD5T-OC.html
Can any one suggest where i can find this card?

I wish we had some kind of system in Electornics sales as the US has......!

Last edited:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
@d6bmg.....i dont think rupee is gonna catch up with the dollars for the next 2 year,its not going to come close even to "44 mark"......rupee decline is heavily dependent on the other factors(will not go into details)
Till then its Diwali for distributors........! :)

+1 for that @SKUD ....btw is there a time slot set for the "sea islands"...?
And i couldn't find this MSI card any where......link: MSI Global ? Graphics Card - R7870-2GD5T/OC
Can any one suggest where i can find this card?

I wish we had some kind of system in Electornics sales as the US has......!

I am not quite sure, but I think Sea Islands will be released next quarter, AMD will definitely try to push the cards out before Christmas.

max_snyper

Maximum Effort!!!!!!
^^ they could be high end parts i think hd8970 with 2560 shaders,384-bit bus ....man its gonna cost a bomb when released due to dollar/rupee ratio!!!!!

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Nvidia quietly launches gtx 660 for OEM market. This is the non-ti version and perhaps will see the light of day in the retail market.

Just like its big brother, its based on gk104 but has two smx disabled totalling 1156 cuda cores. It has the same 192bit bus and will come in 1.5gb and 3gb avatars for OEM.
Will take on the successful 7850 if launched in retail. Its expected to perform around 75-80% of a gtx 660-ti.

Source 1

Source 2

Source 3

max_snyper

Maximum Effort!!!!!!
^^ 660 non-ti will not kill the market for hd7850 coz recently there ahs been a price reduction for the hd7xxx line up
and hd7850 will retail near $209 and hd7870 will retail near $249.99 so.......empty space again filled up again by Nvidia

And if amd is looking forward to Sea Islands then nvidia too is also looking for 7xx series......!
good for us....let the round two begin .....!

Top Bottom