GPU NEWS Channel

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Nvidia releases GTX 660 based on GK 106 & GTX 650 on GK 107 priced at $229 & $109 respectively.

660's performance is between 7870 & 7850. Its 10% slower than overclocked 7870 ( neck and neck with reference 7870)& 15% faster than a 7850 both of which are priced at $260 & $ 210. Overclocked 660 is almost on par with an overclocked 7870 if not better.
650's performance is on par with 7750 and comes with 1gb gddr5 memory on a 128 bit bus whereas 660 shares the same bus and memory configs of 660-ti i.e 2gb gddr5 on a 192 bit bus.

Check the reviews below:

Toms

Anandtech

Hardocp

Techpowerup

Finally, 7850 & 7870 receive some competition.

Last edited:

funskar

Padawan
Zotac Gtx 660ti - 22.5k
Zotac GTX 660 - 18k
Zotac GTX 650 2gb - 10.7k 1gb for 9.5k
Prices confirmed from aditya infotech..
And the batch is cuming next week

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Nice prices especially for 660-ti and 660. 650 is overpriced as it performs similarly as 7750 which is cheaper.

One more thing is that the retail version of 660 is different from oem version. The oem 660 is based on gk 104 with 1152 sp's whereas retail
660 gets gk 106 with 960 sp's but with faster clock speeds. Overclocked performance of 660 is really good as seen in tomshardware.

Hardocp tested the reference asus model. They will soon tested factory overclocked ones.

funskar

Padawan
^^ Nice prices especially for 660-ti and 660. 650 is overpriced as it performs similarly as 7750 which is cheaper.

And expect 500 inr fall in all those card after batch cums..
Between Saphire hd 7870 ghz edtn for 18.5k is killer gpu under 20k..

max_snyper

Maximum Effort!!!!!!
Will there be a bus-witdth bottleneck with the nvidia's 660 series coz issues have come up with metro 2033(though the bottleneck is not that much only 2~5 frames), This could not be the issue right now but in the coming year where more AAA games are scheduled which have massive texture quality....!
can some one clarify on this issue???

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ I don't think 6xx series has any bottleneck in metro 2033 due to memory bandwidth. Infact 660 is faster than a 7870 in metro 2033. See here.

Hardocp has tested the reference 660 against an overclocked 7870 and found no such issues even in new games like sleeping dogs which although performed better on amd's hardware and has nothing with
memory bandwidth.

Read this

Hardocp

In the end this all reinforces our stance that memory bandwidth isn't everything, and people seeking out video cards for gaming should not focus so intently on the memory bus width and bandwidth specification for determining their video card for gaming. Other factors go into it, and only through actually gameplay will you know how these truly perform side-by-side. That is why we here at [H]ardOCP actually play games with these video cards and use that real-world gaming performance to determine which card your money is better spent on.

Benchmarks and the like cannot tell you this real-world information, and can be extremely misleading. Take for example a test that stresses memory bandwidth and fills it to the brim, sure, the 7950 would win that test, but that test doesn't translate to what we just found out in real-world gaming. Performances were close between these cards, and in some cases faster on the card with the lesser bus and bandwidth. So focus on what real-world gaming tells you.

Our testing today at super high AA settings has shown that the "bus limited" GeForce GTX 660 Ti does not crumble so easily. There were no instances where we ran into "VRAM wall"s that took gaming performance into single digits, this never happened even at high AA settings with Transparency AA.

What we did experience was a clocked matched GeForce GTX 660 Ti performing slower than the clock matched GTX 670 as would likely be expected, but probably not as unfavorably as we might have thought. NVIDIA had to scale something down in performance to make this video card sell at $100 less expensive than a GeForce GTX 670. Surprisingly NVIDIA did not scale down CUDA cores, or clock speeds, but rather used the same GTX 670 GPU and cut memory bandwidth down by 33%. Even though the memory bandwidth was cut down by 33% we are not seeing 33% slower performance clock-for-clock. Our tests revealed a much less of a performance difference than that, which is music to the budget oriented gamers’ ears.

The GeForce GTX 660 Ti cards continue to show a very solid value at Amazon and Newegg for gamers and as we have shown (here and here), a little bit of overclocking on the right card can go a long ways.

So you have your answer there.

Here's a 660-ti against a 7950 with 12.7 drivers

HARDOCP - Introduction - MSI GTX 660 Ti Power Edition OC Video Card Review

Last edited:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
More price cut on offing:-

AMD Cutting GPU Prices Again

Makes me wonder how much profits AMD has garnered this generation. ;)

max_snyper

Maximum Effort!!!!!!
@Vickybat
Check out this review of memory bandwidth issue from toms hardware itself:
Seven GeForce GTX 660 Ti Cards: Exploring Memory Bandwidth : Seven GeForce GTX 660 Tis, Rounded-Up

It states that just as we crank up the MSAA in the game....both the cards 660ti and 660 begin to throttle,even a hd7770 CF config takes the lead from them at the resolution 1080 or 1440, hd7950 & hd7870 are better than them with MSAA 2x(lowest seting of aa applied).......it has been said that even a game with higher texture quality and AA could bring trouble to the 660 series in frame rates...!

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
@Vickybat
Check out this review of memory bandwidth issue from toms hardware itself:
Seven GeForce GTX 660 Ti Cards: Exploring Memory Bandwidth : Seven GeForce GTX 660 Tis, Rounded-Up

It states that just as we crank up the MSAA in the game....both the cards 660ti and 660 begin to throttle,even a hd7770 CF config takes the lead from them at the resolution 1080 or 1440, hd7950 & hd7870 are better than them with MSAA 2x(lowest seting of aa applied).......it has been said that even a game with higher texture quality and AA could bring trouble to the 660 series in frame rates...!

Well msaa ofcourse is memory bandwidth dependent. But in future, things are setting to change. With the advent of fxaa, you already see that it gives similar image quality as with msaa without there being a significant performance hit. It has been tested in games like battlefield 3.

Besides, there is TXAA which will soon be implemented in all upcoming titles and it is mostly independent of lower memory bandwidth. This is said to beat msaa out of the water without sacrificing performance. So in a nutshell, msaa isn't the future.

In current gen, i find the tomshardware findings over exaggerated as they rely too much on graphs rather than actual gameplay experience. Read the hardocp link i gave fully and you'll come to know. They have explained everything in detail and in a gaming perspective, unlike tomshardware.

check the following:

*i.imgur.com/YnefV.gif?1

The card with lower memory bandwidth is technically faster than the higher one with full 8xmsaa.
Honestly mate, its better to use fxaa in all the games that support it including batman arkham city. Its equivalent to 8xmsaa sans performance hit.

The Radeon HD 7950 has a 384-bit memory bus with 240GB/sec of memory bandwidth, while the GALAXY GTX 660 Ti GC has a 192-bit bus with 144GB/sec of memory bandwidth, yet we sometimes see the GALAXY GTX 660 Ti GC video card performing faster, but the 660 Ti does have a GPU clock advantage. We don't see that 66% advantage in memory bandwidth the Radeon HD 7950 has in real-world gaming with high setting AA configurations. This means there are other factors besides the width of the memory bus and the bandwidth that affect performance between these two cards; namely GPU clock and architecture advantages.

At end of this year amd seems to price 7850 between 10-12k n 7870 undr 15k..

Those will be terrific buy then. :)

Last edited:

max_snyper

Maximum Effort!!!!!!
Wouldn't heavy textures be a problem in the near future......besides keeping AA not into consideration.....?
And don't you think they are a little overpriced.....!
Cant decide between the two hd7870 or 660-ti....!

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Wouldn't heavy textures be a problem in the near future......besides keeping AA not into consideration.....?
And don't you think they are a little overpriced.....!
Cant decide between the two hd7870 or 660-ti....!

If you can afford a 660-ti, getting it is a no-brainer against a 7870 (unless you need compute). If the 660-ti will suffer with heavy textures in future, so will the 7870 or even 7950.

About AA, i already said that non of the 6xx series have bandwidth issues or gets crippled in performance. There are other things that matter which are clock speeds and architectural changes.
660-ti is a beautiful card mate and definitely a better buy than 7870 in indian context.

Yes all cards in india are overpriced compared to US prices. But little can be done in this regard. Even price drops are not reflected here.

Last edited:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is yummy news, provided it has some sort of validity:- ;)

*media.bestofmicro.com/F/S/353080/original/78a.jpg

Source

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Thanks for sharing skud. Although i'm not a big fan of AMD, an offer like this is indeed very tempting, especially at those price points.

70% more compute performance at 20-25% less price is stellar. I've started to like these GCN parts.

It seems at 10-12k, 8850 is gonna perform like a 7950. Simply irresistible.

max_snyper

Maximum Effort!!!!!!
^^Better specs than previous generation does not mean better performance...we will have to wait for the actual product review
And yes the product pricing is very tempting....but if NV is late to produce against AMD then we will get price bomb again from AMD....!

Top Bottom