Google co-founder: Windows is torturing users

godfather_

Broken In
*www.techyfox.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/59328d54da3e5807_google-logo.jpg

At the Google I/O 2011 conference yesterday, Google co-founder Sergey Brin made a point to outline why his company is taking on Microsoft in the operating system space. In short, he believes Windows is too much of a hassle to use and maintain, and that his company can offer a solution to this problem.

“I don’t think there’s anything inherently wrong with Windows … Windows 7 has some great security features,” Brin said according to GeekWire. Then he added: “With Microsoft, and other operating system vendors, I think the complexity of managing your computer is really torturing users … It’s torturing everyone in this room. It’s a flawed model fundamentally.”

Google yesterday announced the Chromebook, which refers to a mobile device running Google Chrome OS. As you can probably guess, the name comes from combining the words Chrome and notebook. Two Chromebooks, one from Acer and one from Samsung, are slated to be available for preorder on June 15, 2011 in seven countries: the US, the UK, Spain, Germany, France, Italy, and the Netherlands.

Microsoft has an Automatic Update feature in Windows, but Google of course believes its seamless updating mechanism (as shown in the video above) is superior. The company insists that keeping the computer up-to-date without any work on the part of the user, making management and updates essentially invisible, is critical.

This isn’t the first time that Google has implied Chrome OS is superior to Windows. In October 2010, Google CEO (at the time) Eric Schmidt trash talked Windows 7. In November 2010, the search giant claimed 60 percent of businesses could immediately replace their Windows machines with computers running Chrome OS.

Remember, these statements were being made before the Chromebook was even announced. Google may not be able to completely destroy Windows, but it’s certainly trying to do as much damage as it can. We can only imagine what the company is going to push with its marketing campaigns around Chrome OS.

SOURCE

sujoyp

Grand Master
The worst thing about google is privecy...They tend to extract and track too much personal data...
Anyways they r very innovative:smile:

abhijangda

Padawan
Although, I didn't like cloud computing and specially Chrome OS as sujoyp has said about privacy. But still they are doing good by promoting Open Source.

mitraark

Decrepit
Chrome OS [ to be honest i have no idea what it is ] will have to prove that is better before someone tells Microsoft tortures users . So what makes you think Chrome won;t ?

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
Frankly.. I believe its a torture to a normal user.. I was in a field for a long period where ppl were using PC for very crucial part of their work yet they were almost dumbo about computer.. even years with computers.. they had no idea what actually MS windows is..

I will try Chrome then will say anything in its support or against.. but the comment that "its a flawed" model.. its true.. MS windows are not really meant for common man though it looks to ppl (don't compare it to linux now)..

Sarath

iDota
Always being on the cloud= Bad battery life
Plus i dont like the idea of having nothing with me and having to look up in the clouds (not literally) to find what i want.

Also superior in what?
This isn’t the first time that Google has implied Chrome OS is superior to Windows.

Nothing can beat windows. Atleast not for long. Not till Chrome can play Crysis 3.

netbook OS competing with full fledged OS.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
My Humble Opinion:

Chrome and Windows SHOULDN'T EVEN BE COMPARED!
They both are world's apart. Both have different uses. Both targets different users. Period.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
I don't think he is comparing Windows 7 and Chome OS directly.
Let's face it, most of the work is in the Enterprises can be/is done using the Web Applications in the Intranet, as well the interwebs. Chrome OS provides a very effective and simple approach for Enterprises to set up their IT infrastructure without worrying about legacy formats, security, and is pretty cheap as well. As far I as I see, Windows is a huge overkill for most employees, complicated to set up an infrastructure and has huge licensing costs. Chrome OS provides a fresh and interesting approach to setting an IT Infrastructure. Also with a cloud OS companies can also restrict their employees.
I don't think Windows is really being compared to Chrome OS in technical or home use sense.

sygeek

Technomancer
The people of India will never be able to use/get used to Cloud-based OS, not with the current available Internet bandwidth. However I really like the offline storage of webapps capability of ChromeOS which makes it something worth introducing to the Indian Market

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
i think some kind of storage can be implemented on the PC/netbook. also India have low bandwidth, but its not like that "if India doesn't accept Chrome OS now, in future too it can't & so its a failure".

@Sarath, don't forget Chrome OS is a fresh entry (who cares if its made by google or Mozilla team). OS world got bigger players & about games, Linux support games too. so just comparing these 2 will make others talk about linux & this thread will end up as Windows Vs Linux Vs Chrome/cloud OS. and eventually LOCKED.

nims11

BIOS Terminator
running a cloud OS in with the internet connection most of us have will be a TORTURE!! but i am positive that things will change in the coming future

nisargshah95

Your Ad here
Nothing can beat windows. Atleast not for long. Not till Chrome can play Crysis 3.
netbook OS competing with full fledged OS.

The people of India will never be able to use/get used to Cloud-based OS, not with the current available Internet bandwidth. However I really like the offline storage of webapps capability of ChromeOS which makes it something worth introducing to the Indian Market

+1

It will be really long before Chrome can even come to competition...

desai_amogh

In the zone
In India.. Chromebooks will be a torture to users looking at the kind of bandwidth majority of the crowd gets ... Lol

Sarath

iDota
The only advantage i have found for cloud based storage is while using evernote. Otherwise i think its a huge battery hog. Imagine a notebook with wifi always on.

However cloud does seem to be the future. Actually is more convenient coz you you will never lose your data even if your Chromebook breaks down gets stolen etc. i think thats an advantage. The only thing required are the servers holding the data to be credible, secure and reliable.

Top Bottom