From the Editor's Desk

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
even i am facing the same problem my last post took nearly a minute..
the server randomly takes a lot of time to load pages

OP
Raaabo

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
Happy New Year!

I changed the forum to remove the left vertical bar for the avatar and member details. Now you'll have to scroll more, but you also get more width to read.

I'll make more changes tomorrow night, and see what can be done to fix things. I'm still having no luck with the Ajax, but I'll beat it into submission sooner or later. I asked for suggestions for themes (v3.8.4 and V4 compatible). Apart from Kirsch, I didn't see any other suggestions.

Come on guys... team effort... find some themes, and let's get everything up and running in Jan 2010 itself.

OP
Raaabo

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
1. Please increase the forum width.
There's more width now. Let me fix other problems before I can choose a theme and see if a variable width one works.

2. What is the difference between Software QnA and Solution in Software section??
Will be updated in forums rules soon (a few days) once we freeze all the new sections based on feedback.

3. What are the purpose of single sub forums within Hardware QnA and Bazaar under Hardware section??
Those are read only, and will be deleted once their contents are moved to the correct forums

4. Please look into the image hosting feature, doesn't works well.
Attachments? That doesn't work at all. I think I'm going to have to start from scratch with either v4 or v3.8.4 to get everything working again. Am still trying to understand what caused it to break, so that I'll know how to fix it if it happens again.

5. As said by Krow try to introduce image resizing picture.
once we have a new light theme, with ajax working, sure. Low priority for now.

6. I've no problems with ad's. I know its necessary. But place them strategically.
I'm glad you take that attitude. It's only mature to realise that ADs are going nowhere. We'll try and improve placement, but not now, maybe once everything else works and a theme is chosen

7. We need more active mods(The only one I see is Anorion).
Agreed

8. Look into rules and regulation section. Make it more strict and change whereever necessary.
Yes, in about a week or two, looking to fix problems firstt, then add plugins, and then I can make rules

OK, sleepy now, will update you guys on more later

---------- Post added at 06:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 AM ----------

Whoops, plugins were still disabled.

Testing doublepost preventor

---------- Post added at 06:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 AM ----------

Oh and 8) will no longer show as 8/ use 8 / from now on to get 8/.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Regarding Theme:

Why not add some greenery in support for "Green Earth" like this one:

*vbskins.com/forums/?styleid=6

This is one theme that I looks good but am not sure whether it is light or heavy:

*www.completevb.com/demo/index.php?styleid=42

Website width:

TDF on 1440x900 resolution: *img685.imageshack.us/img685/7469/1440900.th.jpg

TDF on 1024x768 resolution:

*img194.imageshack.us/img194/9543/1024768x.th.jpg

Is the forum optimized for low resolution display?

Last edited by a moderator:

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
^yes it is.. The forum looks best on 1024*768 that's where the problem lies As most of the members run in high resolution than that.

toofan

Technomancer
RAboo Nice changes made in the forum. Ajax will really speed up the things.

Happy New Year to You and thinkdigit team.

Some critics about the magazine.

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1197163#post1197163

Only my views.

Krazzy Warrior

"Aal Izz Well"
I changed the forum to remove the left vertical bar for the avatar and member details. Now you'll have to scroll more, but you also get more width to read.
Hmm Pretty Good Work! Now apparently there is not much difficulties in reading through threads.. Well Done!But still you can replace that useless space on both side with width(just like i showed u in my screenshots @ previous page..

Apart from Kirsch, I didn't see any other suggestions.
Well this theme suggested by @desibond is good:-
*www.completevb.com/demo/index.php?styleid=42

@desibond
Well, I really didn't liked that Green Earth Theme. Time Traveler theme is way way better..

Hats of to your effort Raabo and CyberJunkie!!! :)

---------- Post added at 11:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 AM ----------

Some Other Requests:-
# Can you update this forum with new set of smileys? Smileys - Click Here ?? It will be great if we have this set of smileys..

# Just like u changed URL color to blue earlier.. keep it black but put an underline format to links. This will solve both the problem.. :)

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Is it possible to divide Mobile monsters into two sections

1) Laptops and netbooks
2) Mobiles and PMP

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
I like this KIS forum theme or at least u can try a bit darker (shades of grey) background for posts.
A pure white background is very stressful for eyes if we are reading the forum for hours.

Krow

Crowman
*vbskins.com/forums/?styleid=217
*vbskins.com/forums/?styleid=7
*vbskins.com/forums/?styleid=21
*vbskins.com/forums/?styleid=179
*vbskins.com/forums/?styleid=205
*vbskins.com/forums/?styleid=3
*vbskins.com/forums/?styleid=204

All taken from: *vbskins.com/page/1

These are my suggestions for themes. Also, I think an upgrade to vB 4 would be nice.

Krow

Crowman
I still stand for the Kirsch theme. The above suggested skins can be modified I think. All are free skins. So, the flower and dollar and header can be changed AFAIK.

Just read the post count/rep debate. I am for the rep system because it will serve as a measure of useful posts made by the member. Both post count and reps should be there. No negative reps, just positive reps and report post button.

---------- Post added at 04:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 PM ----------

Forgot to add, is everyone fine with the online/offline status icon? I think it should be changed. What say? It's good and more so, it works, but I think that if we are going to change the theme, then the icon should change too.

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 PM ----------

Sub-sections could be added for Photography and Cars/bikes, etc. Photography sub-section is a must IMHO.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Well, here I chose some from Krow's link,

1st Pref:-
*vbskins.com/theme/ramadhan.html
Preview: *vbskins.com/forums/?styleid=220

2nd Pref:-
*vbskins.com/theme/square.html
Preview: *vbskins.com/forums/index.php?styleid=152

3rd Pref:-
*vbskins.com/theme/rohan.html
Preview: *vbskins.com/forums/index.php?styleid=176