From the Editor's Desk

Status
Not open for further replies.

a_medico

Chillum Baba
Could you please include an article featuring gadgets, PCs, softwares, hardware used and could be used in healthcare field? I am sure there are many docs who read Digit. It would be of great help to them. This is a huge area and is a bit untouched on Digit.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Raaboo,

can you please get this issue with BenQ rollover ad fixed.

The rollover ad stays expanded *img191.imageshack.us/img191/3501/tdfrolloverad.th.jpg

This is really really awkward. every time I scroll up the page or load new page that ad stays in expanded mode for few seconds not allowing me to use the drop down menu.

I am trying to get used to TechEnclave now as this forum is going worse week after week.

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
Raaboo,

The rollover ad stays expanded *img191.imageshack.us/img191/3501/tdfrolloverad.th.jpg

This is really really awkward. every time I scroll up the page or load new page that ad stays in expanded mode for few seconds not allowing me to use the drop down menu.

I am trying to get used to TechEnclave now as this forum is going worse week after week.
+1...totally agree

OP
Raaabo

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
Raaboo,

I tried hovering over that AD in IE 8, FF, Opera and Chrome, and it worked as it was supposed to everywhere. Are you still having this problem?

---------- Post added at 04:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 PM ----------

Hi Raboo: Its well past one week but haven't got any reply.

Please re-send your mail to help @ thinkdigit . com and CC me at editor @ thinkdigit . com, and I will get to the bottom of this.

Sorry for the delay and inconvenience.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
*img694.imageshack.us/img694/2084/bugk.th.jpg

Even when I scroll the page, as you can see in the pic, the rollover ad stays expanded.

And when I click on edit, nothing happens and I see error at the bottom right corner:

*img697.imageshack.us/img697/3088/editerror.th.jpg

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Continuing from this thread: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123454&page=3
I understand the complaints, and yes I'm guilty of being too busy to rectify things soon enough. Allow me to try and change that.
I recommending thinking about improving the forum's life by the time making/attempting/planning to make change the forum.You can try this similar pattern where it has worked resurrecting another Indian tech forum, but it should work here:

# Pick up 3-4 mods and give them moderator access throughout the forum. Don't choose people who are good advisors, rather choose those who can command and take care of the sections swiftly and won't be intimated so easily even if the majority of the people decide to go wild. Create order by flushing out the chaos.

# After a month/2 months of cleanup, depending who did what, assign super moderator acess who have cleaned the forums as admins- most likely 2. Give them a chance of around 2 weeks and then exchange the super mod rights with the other 2.

# Assign someone who is responsible enough to be something like an assistant admin. Let him make decisions what is good for the forum and make changes accordingly.
-
This will take a lot of time (a year atleast) but its way more effective in the long run. As a tech forum who runs a tech magazine is naturally assumed to be ethically bound to make a healthy community.

Also, I think its best if apology is not used as well :). Don't take it in the wrong way, but these people have been loyalists for a very long time, and I am sure you agree that apologizing to people who hoped for a change for ages is pretty much equivalent to rubbing salt on one's wound. Make the call!

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
@Sorcy,
Mod thing I got, but why new admins?
What would they do?

First ask them to fix the site, then everything else...

Krow

Crowman
@ Raaabo Give us forum width and avoid adding larger ads. Ads on the top and bottom (below quick reply) are okay. Also, please fix the forum. Whenever I send a VM/Friend request, I get an error. Also, when I post I get this please post in 30 seconds error even though my post has appeared.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
^^^+1

And I would like to add something.

1. The "Post Quick Reply" button doesn't works it is redirects to advance page. And that "This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts" error is wat I always face even I'm posting ater 30 sec's and already the reply has been posted. Thats why we always encounter same posts two times(which we need to edit everytime).

2. The edit button never works in a single click.

3. The forum is so heavy that when I'm running utorrent the forum never opens, even doesn't get refresh. I need to pause utorrent each time if I need to reply to a thread, create a new thread or just refresh or clicking "new posts" links. Please make it light.

4. As krow said, make the forum wider please.

5. The ads is either side and top and bottom are no problem as said by krow. But this BenQ rollover add is really frustrating. I don't remember how many times I have clicked that add while cliking "New Posts". Please fix it.

6. And my last suggestion would be.....I know you all are really busy with the Magazine and for all your hard effort the magazine is No. 1 magazine of India(May be in the World). So assign some admins/mod for the forum. With whom we can interact if we r facing any problems and get fast reply. I mean if there is no problem assign some peoples who will only work as admin/mod for the forum. Otherwise you can also give mod permission to trusty, old members of this forum(like desiibond, Krow, rhitwick etc.) We can contact them for any prblem and in turn they can contact you(if needed).

Lastly thanx for the great magazine. Loooking forward for a great forum as well. And sorry for my bad english. Please manage. :)

OP
Raaabo

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
*img694.imageshack.us/img694/2084/bugk.th.jpg

Even when I scroll the page, as you can see in the pic, the rollover ad stays expanded.

And when I click on edit, nothing happens and I see error at the bottom right corner:

*img697.imageshack.us/img697/3088/editerror.th.jpg

I'm looking at the code to see why the error happens.

For the rollover AD. If you keep your mouse hovered over the ad it will stay large, move your mouse away from the ad and it returns to normal size.

I've tried IE 6 / 7 / 8, with the latest flash player version, on XP, Vista and 7, and I still cannot recreate a problem with that ad. It seems to function the way it is supposed to.

---------- Post added at 03:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 PM ----------

# Pick up 3-4 mods and give them moderator access throughout the forum. Don't choose people who are good advisors, rather choose those who can command and take care of the sections swiftly and won't be intimated so easily even if the majority of the people decide to go wild. Create order by flushing out the chaos.

I will be reviewing the mods we have. Most of them are doing a splendid job. The problems with this forum are, however, not something the mods can fix, and thus when complaints are made, they are helpless.

# After a month/2 months of cleanup, depending who did what, assign super moderator acess who have cleaned the forums as admins- most likely 2. Give them a chance of around 2 weeks and then exchange the super mod rights with the other 2.

Again, the problems that exist cannot be solved from a control panel. The only rights the mods do not have are to this feedback forum, which is controlled only by team digit, and delete user rights. Other stuff like running SQL queries, or making announcements, which Admins can do, are also not possible for the mods.

# Assign someone who is responsible enough to be something like an assistant admin. Let him make decisions what is good for the forum and make changes accordingly.
-
This will take a lot of time (a year atleast) but its way more effective in the long run. As a tech forum who runs a tech magazine is naturally assumed to be ethically bound to make a healthy community.

Team Digit will be taking more initiative here. So far, we've started interacting with the community in so many other ways, including offline interactions, and webinars, workshops and the like, apart from making sure the magazine and DVDs and Fast Track and Digit TV are done in time, so free time is scarce. However, we'll make a renewed effort here, starting today.

Also, I think its best if apology is not used as well :). Don't take it in the wrong way, but these people have been loyalists for a very long time, and I am sure you agree that apologizing to people who hoped for a change for ages is pretty much equivalent to rubbing salt on one's wound. Make the call!

I'm also one of those loyalists, and am trying to make sure that we can fix whatever possible as quickly as possible. It will take a few weeks, but everything ought to be as good as new soon. I'm not ashamed to admit that in the past year or so, I haven't had too much time for this forum, and that was a mistake. As I've told you guys before, I treat other Digitians as family, and before even starting to fix the errors, I felt I should apologise for not making more time. I fail to see how me apologising is rubbing salt in anyone's wounds, and those who feel that way most certainly do not know me well enough, or long enough.

Here's what's going to change:

1. Code bugs have to be found and fixed. We have an action plan that should have this completely sorted in no more than a month. This applies to errors and the broken Ajax.

2. Things need to be speeded up again, and the theme needs to be changed. I'm open to suggestions for the theme. Suggest them here, and then we can then post a poll to decide on what themes are popular amongst the members. There is only one criteria, the theme should be minimalistic and fast when loading. I suggest Kirsch, because it was my favourite.

3. Some re-ordering of content has to be done - more forums and sub-forums to re-order all the hundreds of thousands of posts that are here. I'm also usually against deleting content, but I think a little pruning in sections will not hurt. I will need the mods to help me with this.

4. Trying to find a more fool-proof way of keeping the spammers off the forum, to enable a slight relaxation of rules for the others. This should end the "cannot post for 30 seconds" error, and the code fixes should prevent the double post error.

5. I'm also looking at other ways to improve the interactivity here, and will keep you posted on the changes made.

I will start a new thread once we start making changes in a week or so, to make sure everyone's aware of what's happening, every step of the way.

saqib_khan

I M A *STAR*
^^Thats great if you are seriously taking this matter. One suggestion. Can you please make mods which are more active. See this list. I never find online most of these mods. Or they dont even care to open this forum. Just seeing MetalHead Gautham online. But what about else. This forum need more active mods.

OP
Raaabo

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
As I said, I will take the moderator list under consideration. Most of the mods / admins surf in invisible mode.

Made a few changes:

1. Re-ordered the forum home page to make a little more sense.
2. Added thread prefixes ("Want to Buy" & "Want to Sell"). So choose the appropriate thread prefix when posting in Bazaar.

Do you think it's better to have thread prefixes instead of the "I want..." forum? The prefixes enables anyone to sort by people selling or buying, so it might be better to have everything in one Bazaar forum, so that those just surfing can see both sellers' and buyers' threads... your thoughts please.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
^^^Thats a great idea raaaboo. You are right. Rather than "I want...." the prefixes will be much better. And all the post related to transactions will be in same bazaar section and can be identified by WTB/WTS.

It's really a brilliant idea.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Hey Raaabo good to see you actively replying here.

Well, we had one "Forum Improvement..." thread, u made it sticky, how about digging it up?

And the basic requirement I think we need is speed, the forum loads so slowly in IE that it just diminishes the excitement of being connected with digit family for a newbie.

Then, obviously bug fixing...
>Edit
>Double post
>Quick reply
>Attachments
>Search function

As u mentioned Kirsch is ur fav, well it was our fav too...8)

>Got the point u r running out of people to dedicate themselves on forum work apart from their day-to-day responsibilities. Why not give temporary access to some trusty members who can do freelancing for you (it includes security issues, but it can be considered)

>If ads are impossible to ignore, how about disowning flash ads (anyway we use NeatDigit :-D )

@Others, I think MODs are doing good job. Now we don't have the SPAM probs as previous so having 3-4 mods online always is not required I think.

I would suggest take 4 mods from existing and ask them their most suitable time for visiting the forum and order them as well.
Divide them as Day mod and Night mod (as not everyone would be able to MOD this forum everytime)
In day time MOD A will take care of forum on his suitable days of week (eg. Sun, Mon, Tue) and MOD B rest of the days. Similar for Night mods.

OP
Raaabo

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
Hey Raaabo good to see you actively replying here.
>Why not give temporary access to some trusty members who can do freelancing for you (it includes security issues, but it can be considered)

>If ads are impossible to ignore, how about disowning flash ads (anyway we use NeatDigit :-D )

I would suggest take 4 mods from existing and ask them their most suitable time for visiting the forum and order them as well.
Divide them as Day mod and Night mod (as not everyone would be able to MOD this forum everytime)
In day time MOD A will take care of forum on his suitable days of week (eg. Sun, Mon, Tue) and MOD B rest of the days. Similar for Night mods.

1. Full control access is a tricky deal, with, as you said yourself, security issues.
2. I know about NeatDigit, and I even featured it in the magazine, if you guys remember :) Let me see what can be done about ADs. They will always be there, we can't avoid that, but let's see how we can improve them.
3. As I said, I'll see the activity of the current mods, and then decide. I will also see how we can increase the amount of time that other Admins spend here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom