From the Editor's Desk

Status
Not open for further replies.

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
Raaabo, please change the text for this smiley 8/
I don't know who else uses 8) but we sure use it 8 / in Must watch movies thread.
Even if some URLs are having 8 and / its turning to smiley too...

Plz, change the assignment.
Make it as previous...

yes.. Must watch movies thread is a mess now.I request to change it to something else like 'B=)' '8}' 'B/' or some thing like that.

Krow

Crowman
Please change the BenQ ad. It is misleading. It says Win BenQ LED monitor, while when I mistakenly clicked it I was redirected to a page which did not feature any contest. Merely the product specs. At the very least don't place unethical ads. :x

OP
Raaabo

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
Yes it is.. The forum looks best on 1024*768 that's where the problem lies As most of the members run in high resolution than that.
Actually, the forum is optimized for 1024x768 because over 70% of members run that resolution.

Is it possible to divide Mobile monsters into two sections
1) Laptops and netbooks
2) Mobiles and PMP
I'll look into that

Sub-sections could be added for Photography and Cars/bikes, etc. Photography sub-section is a must IMHO.
Excellent idea

i dont believe in the rep system. everyone is equal.. post counts are fine with me.
I agree, I hate the rep system too, and when we had it, people were signing up with 4 and 5 accounts to rep themselves, saying "Wow, excellent, thanks, repped you" all from the same IP, within 1 minute!

1. The problem with attachments that I was saying, is this type of attachments starts downloading when clicked.
I think there is still some problem with forum width. I'm getting the increased width in some pages and the normal width in some pages.
I'm also getting this Database Error sometimes. Please look into it.
Database error occurs when load is too much, we're trying to make it as light as possible on the database. When large images are posted, the forum width is affected. I'm looking into the attachments... actually I'm trying to start from scratch, with the latest stable version of vb, and adding things to it to see what breaks it.

Raaabo, please change the text for this smiley 8/
Done, some time ago, but confirming now

please i request again.please do something about this benq ad its getting irritating.
Oh come on! It's an AD! It's supposed to enlarge when you hover over it... if you don't want to see it, don't move your mouse over it. Besides there are so many ways you can stop it permanently for yourself -- for which you will find detailed tutorials in the forum itself.

I can't force the company to return money, and remove this AD just because you're too lazy to do something about it yourself, or don't like Flash Ads. Remember, it's these ads that are paying to keep this forum going in the first place.

Once the agreed number of page views and clicks are done with, that ad will change, on its own.

By the way how is the idea of uploading 4 or 5 best(thorugh vote by members/choosed by you) themes?? In this way we can choose from those 5 themes anytimes and will not get bored of any particular theme??
I'm trying to make sure that there will be at least a few themes for members to choose from once all the problems are ironed out.

Please change the BenQ ad. It is misleading. It says Win BenQ LED monitor, while when I mistakenly clicked it I was redirected to a page which did not feature any contest. Merely the product specs. At the very least don't place unethical ads.

I've asked our sales team to look into this, will get back with their reply once I get it.

even sometimes this forum takes more than a minute to open threads.

Server might be taking backups at that time, will check. Any specific time, or just random?

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
^ Today is a nightmare for me as far as forum load times are concerned. When i post anything it will stop reloading at some point and returns a database error. Remember those kinda hiccups when posting a lengthy answer.. One has to type the entire thing again.

Krow

Crowman
Actually, the forum is optimized for 1024x768 because over 70% of members run that resolution.
Can we have it to stretch to full width of any resolution? tarey_g's addon does that and according to him it is easy to do if one knows a little of java scripting.
I agree, I hate the rep system too, and when we had it, people were signing up with 4 and 5 accounts to rep themselves, saying "Wow, excellent, thanks, repped you" all from the same IP, within 1 minute!
Point taken. Can we have a spoilers feature so that the movies and games thread posters benefit? As in add a tag and then the said part appears in a quote like box with "Spoiler content. Click to show." This feature is there on the other forum and is needed more here.
Database error occurs when load is too much, we're trying to make it as light as possible on the database.
I doubt if the problem concerns load. I say that the load on this forum is pretty less due to a severe lack of visitors. Max 200 visitors and we see a database error. It may be a problem with the bulky coding. I think this can be sorted out with a fresh install.
When large images are posted, the forum width is affected.
I have already requested for an auto resize feature, which enlarges images when we click a button on top the image.

I'm looking into the attachments... actually I'm trying to start from scratch, with the latest stable version of vb, and adding things to it to see what breaks it.
Thank you for continued and active support. I'm hoping for the best.

Oh come on! It's an AD! It's supposed to enlarge when you hover over it... if you don't want to see it, don't move your mouse over it. Besides there are so many ways you can stop it permanently for yourself -- for which you will find detailed tutorials in the forum itself.

I can't force the company to return money, and remove this AD just because you're too lazy to do something about it yourself, or don't like Flash Ads. Remember, it's these ads that are paying to keep this forum going in the first place.

Once the agreed number of page views and clicks are done with, that ad will change, on its own.
Even though I hate the ads, I take your point here. As I have previously requested, please move the side ad to the top or bottom. For one ad, we are losing on forum width for the entire page. One small suggestion: Instead of ads between post, I think it will be better for ads to be after the post and before signature. That way, the blank space will reduce and the forum will look more professional. Do other members agree?

I'm trying to make sure that there will be at least a few themes for members to choose from once all the problems are ironed out.
Yes, please do.

I've asked our sales team to look into this, will get back with their reply once I get it.
Awaiting your reply.

Server might be taking backups at that time, will check. Any specific time, or just random?
Random you may call it, but it happens most of the time. The forum in general has been extremely slow for the past few days. This has made me backup each post till it appears.

Krow

Crowman
One more bug report. The forum does not allow me to login sometimes. This happens when I click on the Quote button while not logged in. It redirects me to a page asking for login. Then if I enter username and password, it returns me to the same page and asks me to enter the details again. It's a recurring loop. However, after entering login info, after being redirected to the login page, if I click on forum index link, it shows me as logged in. Anyone else facing this bug?

---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 PM ----------

Also, I notice the moderator column in the forum index page. Are we going to have section moderators?

---------- Post added at 09:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

There is this mod called geetaj, he is not listed by Raaabo in forum rules. Who is this moderator? Never seen him make any posts in the forum.

quan chi

mortal kombat

yes raabo i know that thing.:smile:that ad is irritating because it still enlarges even if i am not hovering my mouse over it i mean if i try to click here *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/index.php. situated above 'the user cp, faq, community, calender etc box. this enlarged ad opens up.

and krow is right the ad is misleading i have clicked many times there and it says nothing about contest.

anyways yes that occurs random.

One more bug report. The forum does not allow me to login sometimes. This happens when I click on the Quote button while not logged in. It redirects me to a page asking for login. Then if I enter username and password, it returns me to the same page and asks me to enter the details again. It's a recurring loop. However, after entering login info, after being redirected to the login page, if I click on forum index link, it shows me as logged in. Anyone else facing this bug?

krow i think its more of a opera bug.i also face this problem in this forum sometimes.but when i log with firefox no problem then.

Last edited:

Krazzy Warrior

"Aal Izz Well"
Agreed. It occurs for me 90% of the time.. It's very very irritating.. :|

One more bug report.. When I Log In the forum and click on Last Post button of any thread in index page, then the thread opens(last page) but it shows me that I'm logged OUT but when I click back to index page it shows that i'm logged IN.. :| In order to post in those thread I've to open the first post of that thread and click on last page which is very irritating.. :| It too occurs sometime when I click last post button from inside a sub-section.. Anyone else facing this bug?

krow i think its more of a opera bug.i also face this problem in this forum sometimes.but when i log with firefox no problem then.
NOPE! I'm using Firefox and i'm facing that same problem as krow is..

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
I think we need new mods too. +1 for the spoilers feature. IMO, the rep system helps in the sense that people think a bit about what they are posting. This really improves the quality of the content in the forum, which is important. The rep system should be set up in a way that multiple accounts cannot rep themselves till they have a certain amount of rep to begin with. Also, disproportionately high reps are irritating and put-off the newcomers in the forum. How about a negative rep system? Dont like a post, give em a few negative reps, and the fellow will stop posting BS.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^no reps please. negate a post and clean up posts with negative rating. Don't assign any -ve or +ve rep to individuals.

Krow

Crowman
Geetaj is a 9.9 employee.
Oh well, my opinion is that mods should have some contribution to the forum. Inactive mods/admins should not be present. But, I guess it would be a little difficult to explain it to the company. :(
yes raabo i know that thing.:smile:that ad is irritating because it still enlarges even if i am not hovering my mouse over it i mean if i try to click here *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/index.php. situated above 'the user cp, faq, community, calender etc box. this enlarged ad opens up.
:+1:
and krow is right the ad is misleading i have clicked many times there and it says nothing about contest.
It is well within our rights to complain for this issue. Before misleading ads are put through a lawsuit by some concerned party, please change the ad to be a little more truthful.
I use Firefox for Neat Digit Extension and the bug is present with or without the addon.
NOPE! I'm using Firefox and i'm facing that same problem as krow is..
Another suferring soul. Welcome to our club. :cry:
IMO, the rep system helps in the sense that people think a bit about what they are posting. This really improves the quality of the content in the forum, which is important. The rep system should be set up in a way that multiple accounts cannot rep themselves till they have a certain amount of rep to begin with. Also, disproportionately high reps are irritating and put-off the newcomers in the forum. How about a negative rep system? Dont like a post, give em a few negative reps, and the fellow will stop posting BS.
I think that a report post button does pretty much the same thing as a negative rep. Suppose a person with a bad record full of negative reps actually makes a good post, then he will be judged by his rep value and not the content (especially by newbies). Bad posts should be reported and moderators should do the needful (give infractions, miserable, ban, etc.). I am for the positive reps, but this is a system which can be misused a lot. Maybe we make it that you have to spread reps to about 20 people before you can give it to the same person again?
^^no reps please. negate a post and clean up posts with negative rating. Don't assign any -ve or +ve rep to individuals.
It is just like a report post button. Isn't it?

Krow

Crowman
The BenQ ad has disappeared and so has the View Forum Leaders which was next to Mark Forums Read on the index page.

[TOOGOODTOBETRUE]Please use this opportunity and move the side ad to the top. [/TOOGOODTOBETRUE] :| :))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom