From the Editor's Desk

Status
Not open for further replies.

azzu

AJJU
^ really happy to see u active Raaabo :)
the Re-arrangement of the forum is good Make's good sense ( but i did like the Old arrangement it was the TDF trade mark :D )
iam still having the quick reply problem ( saying try after 30 secs but its already posted)
hope to solve it sooon

OP
Raaabo

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
iam still having the quick reply problem ( saying try after 30 secs but its already posted)
hope to solve it sooon

I think that was the buggy / broken Ajax causing that. It seems to not happen when Ajax is disabled.

I've now kept Ajax disabled, so can someone post a few places and confirm that this stupid problem is now fixed? Temporarily, of course, because I will need to fix the darn Ajax and get quick reply / edit / other stuff working with Ajax sometime soon. Works for me in the mod sandbox...

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 PM ----------

test... for double-post prevention errors

---------- Post added at 08:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 PM ----------

Hmm.... it all seems to work now, without Ajax of course... I'll check back here later today for replies from you guys after you run some tests... I'm hungry now, so going home :)

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the replies, Raaabo. :)

Here are a few more problems:

1)
*img685.imageshack.us/img685/5218/snapshot1i.png I think you can notice the missing options. The text is missing over there. If you click on those empty rectangles, they do lead you to the desired page.

2)
*img683.imageshack.us/img683/7968/snapshot2h.png When I click on my name, it doesn't lead my to my profile which it does in other forums. So, when I tend to receive a visitor message, I have to find a random post of mine and go to my profile from there.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Raabo,

thanks for tying to fix the bugs in the forum. Edit looks to be fine now in Ubuntu FF. haven't testing it yet on IE8. will let you know.

regarding the rollover ad. that benq ad stays in expanded mode when page is loaded initially and then works the way it has to. Still it irritates a lot as I use the path under "Featured Story" to go through posts and because of this ad, i have to move the mouse carefully so that the mouse don't go to that border. Is it possible to put some gap between the path and the ad or just disable the rollover action and let that ad be just an ad.

also, In the images that I posted earlier, my mouse was NOT on the and it was nowhere near that.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Wow......!! Both the buttons are working fine.....!! :)

Now please try to make the forum lighter.

---------- Post added at 09:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 PM ----------

Posting using Quick Reply is taking so much time. Tried it 3times and the case is same. Dunno why. And ya that 30 sec problem is gone.

---------- Post added at 09:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 PM ----------

Tried to delete a post. But its not getting deleted. Is this any problem related with code?? Or just a temporary problem??? Or providing the reason for delete is must???

---------- Post added at 10:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 PM ----------

Yup the post got deleted after providing the reason.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Here is the video that shows the problem with rollover ad that stays in expanded mode:

*www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNGbCIztxIY

sorry for the crappy quality but next will try to record using black mouse pointer and broad day light

OP
Raaabo

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
2) When I click on my name, it doesn't lead my to my profile which it does in other forums. So, when I tend to receive a visitor message, I have to find a random post of mine and go to my profile from there.

Fixed that working on the others

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yea, that thing is fixed now.

Secondly, I was thinking whether a fresh install of all the vBulletin scripts might fix most of the problems? Because I think, AJAX problems are actually quite deep. Image attachments also don't work. I do understand that you might have to do considerable amount of modifications even after that.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Ya its looking fixed now. All the features are working correctly and fast. Is there any way out to make the forum lighter. Because we always need to pause torrent when browsing through forums.

---------- Post added at 12:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 AM ----------

Hey raaaboo please check the first problem posted by ico. The problem with Quick Links one.

OP
Raaabo

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
1) I think you can notice the missing options. The text is missing over there. If you click on those empty rectangles, they do lead you to the desired page.

Ok that's fixed as well...

---------- Post added at 01:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 AM ----------

desiibond, I give up, I can't recreate your problem, and since you're saying it works the way it's supposed to after loading, I'm downgrading your "problem" to "weird one-off minor irritant". Just live with the ad while I fix other things.

Try playing minesweeper, it improves pointer accuracy ;)

---------- Post added at 01:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 AM ----------

Oh and as for the Ajax... huuuge problem and tonnes of code / modifications to go through before I find the error, so don't expect that fix before a few weeks.

I can keep doing minor ones like these though ;), so keep those coming.

Specifics, please, like ico did. Makes my life much easier. Thanks ico.

OP
Raaabo

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
Ok, changed the whole navigation bar to what the latest version of VB should have. tell me if you like this better.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, this is certainly better. The community menu has also started to work now which it wasn't earlier.

Gamerz section is visited regularly and can be above the Education section on the main board. Keeping it at the bottom isn't justified.

A separate forum for the discussion of Broadband related problems (ISPs, plans, advice) can be made. Thats what many forums have done. Earlier we had BSNL and MTNL threads which were stuck in the Chit-Chat section, but they are now lost. Threads related to the ISPs and Broadband equipments are popping up in random sections, thats why I feel a separate section would/can be better.

I just saw that vBulletin 4.0 is out and it is a major upgrade. If ThinkDigit is planning to implement it on the site, then it is highly likely that an upgrade might solve most of the issues as it will be clearing out the bugged PHP scripts of the current version.

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
First of all, my Sincere respect to you for Starting this 'Clean the messup' mission. If you have started this mission before a week or two..would have been very nice of you. It is sad to know that only a rebel thread or members leaving only will grab your attention. What i mean is.. don't you know that there is problem with quick reply, edit, page loadings, ads, server downs, etc...etc... before? And you didn't paid attention towards these flaws. I am not blaming you.. coz, we are equally responsible for the bad time of this forum. And please understand that i said these words because of the love and affection i have towards this forum.

Any way.. my suggestions...

1) Content is what makes the members stick to the forum. If the forum is facing the bad time.. it is not because of the quick reply feature, roll over ads, edit buttons, theme, etc. All these problems will not have a chance before a information distribution and community creation. By the gods grace the community creation has been a success because.. every one in the forum loves every one. But the content is what lacking in the forum.. except in the chit chat section.. new threads are not rolling in... And there is only updation of old threads. There should be change in this attitude. Members need initiative for that change. And that initiative should be from you guys. Mods are not being active in general forum business and add admins in this department too(anorion is exception for this). Admins and mods Spend ample amount of time in sharing the information. After all they are the forum leaders.

2) Next major thing you should think about is about the attachments. Please fix the attachment bug or simply remove that feature.

3) At any point of time.. the number of registered users who use neatdigit or CSS who don't click even a single ad will be less than the guests who don't use neatdigit extension and CSS who don't click the ads either because of the ugly forum look. It is not the theme that is making the forum to look ugly.. It is the banners on the two sides.. Banner on left side is acceptable for some extent. I know that you are not the guys who made that decision.. but please do take the risk of telling our problems to your officials. And always remember that what most matters is, 'how forum will appeal to guests' as they are your future registered members

4) For good or bad.. Remove the Users' Post count feature.

5) And Change the head of CHIT-CHAT and FIGHT CLUB from 'Bandwidth' wastage to some thing other like 'FREE TIME TALK', 'GOD'S GRACE','HEAVEN'S SAKE','MOUTH FREAKS',etc. It really hurts to know when the section named 'BANDWIDTH WASTAGE' is the most active section in the forum.

6) A dedicated section for INTERNET, FREEWARES, GAMING CONSOLES, will increase the extent of information exchange in the forum.

7) I know this sounds awkward to you.. please increase the size of the user's avatar.

8) now after 7, what is the number??? A smiley? Please take care of this.. It hurts back there when i post a number and it converts into smiley.

9)A bit close interaction with the user's will be appreciated. I mean.. To send PM wishing for birthdays, Dropping a Email when he has been miserabled, Encouragement PMs if you see a new guy posting something good or great.

If i have posted something wrong, it should be obvious to you/everyone as I am a noob.

/me still scratching head.. what happened to TDF IRC channel?

Last edited:

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
8) now after 7, what is the number??? A smiley? Please take care of this.. It hurts back there when i post a number and it converts into smiley.
Are this is a functionality not bug.
Its like u post ": - D" (more closer though) and it turns to :-D

9)A bit close interaction with the user's will be appreciated. I mean.. To send PM wishing for birthdays, Dropping a Email when he has been miserabled, Encouragement PMs if you see a new guy posting something good or great.
Tell me u r not serious!!! :shock::oops:

TheHumanBot

Padawan
VBulletin 4 out and its 175$ for just upgrade

just install a fresh vb package will solve most of the problems and
i guess its hardly takes 30 mnts for all.
but its not the geek way to solve problems
so just keep doing what your doing

just my thoughts :D

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
Here is the video that shows the problem with rollover ad that stays in expanded mode:

*www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNGbCIztxIY

sorry for the crappy quality but next will try to record using black mouse pointer and broad day light

You could have used fraps, gamer :D.

Anyways good to see the changes. Looks like this time was the last we compalined about same problemss :).

azzu

AJJU
2) Next major thing you should think about is about the attachments. Please fix the attachment bug or simply remove that feature.
removing the feature is simply not an Option

4) For good or bad.. Remove the Users' Post count feature.
Y is that ? i cant understand y tellin that ?

It really hurts to know when the section named 'BANDWIDTH WASTAGE' is the most active section in the forum.
Your right , but changing the Name of the section wont solve the Problem

6) A dedicated section for INTERNET, FREEWARES, GAMING CONSOLES, will increase the extent of information exchange in the forum.
Xcellent Idea Dunno about Internet and gamin consoles but Freewares would be GREAT

:D :D :D

Great Suggestions Vamci anna :)

will be posting As much as usefull threads from now on :)
Tryin to make a Great Forum (LOVE TDF)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom