First experience of using an iPhone !!

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
the source does not matter, as long as you are flexible enough to switch to a new one every know and then
tbh, if you are using grooveshark or 8tracks, you are very prolly using "pirated" content
piracy is free only for nubs, there is some cost with piracy also. real content is paid only, even if it is pirated. maybe a private tracker has a catalogue of every album out there in ogg, mp3 diff bitrates and flac format. the prolem has always been free / paid content catching up to the benefits of pirated content, and apple is right in the forefront of this battle, making digital distribution of content easy.

apple invented nothing. for that matter, all phones are the same underneath. apple's unique designs are restricted to the usb connector and the screws.

wanna know one prolem that cannot be fixed with a software update.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
I just dont understand the mindset of people. They think anything Apple is necessarily bad. The main source of the heat is the gross overpricing IMO. I too feel the iPhone is just way too overpriced. But then again Apple is providing official updates for the next 3 years. One can say we can install custom ROMs on our Android phone but things like installing a boot loader and installing custom ROMs is not easy for the average user. Even flagship models of Samsung, HTC etc take atleast a month to get newest official update.
Apple didn't invent anything new. They just implemented the technology in a proper way.

@sumonpathak wrong. Just about every mp3 works. iTunes DRM is not a necessity.

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
I just dont understand the mindset of people. They think anything Apple is necessarily bad. The main source of the heat is the gross overpricing IMO. I too feel the iPhone is just way too overpriced. But then again Apple is providing official updates for the next 3 years. One can say we can install custom ROMs on our Android phone but things like installing a boot loader and installing custom ROMs is not easy for the average user. Even flagship models of Samsung, HTC etc take atleast a month to get newest official update.
Apple didn't invent anything new. They just implemented the technology in a proper way.

^+1
i should have wrote "innovations" instead of "inventions" , sorry, my bad.

dixit8611

Journeyman
I just dont understand the mindset of people. They think anything Apple is necessarily bad. The main source of the heat is the gross overpricing IMO. I too feel the iPhone is just way too overpriced. But then again Apple is providing official updates for the next 3 years
One of my freind has recently purchased apply iphone 3 and he is not able to install a single app from istore because the os version his phone supports is outdated and no app supports it
. One can say we can install custom ROMs on our Android phone but things like installing a boot loader and installing custom ROMs is not easy for the average user.
Only if average user is not interested in trying a Rom otherwise i don't understand what is so difficult in downloading a Rom,reboot in recovery mode and then clicking next.next .....next.....
Even flagship models of Samsung, HTC etc take atleast a month to get newest official update.
True, but again i don't understand why people are so much obsessed with the updates ? I am still not able to figure out what improvements jelly bean has over ICS ? If some update is important and is related to some issue or performance eg sudden death issue in xz then update is definite and will be done asap.

They just implemented the technology in a proper way
Apple is just providing timely updates that's it and update doesn't mean more features, more performance, more productivity. Sometimes it just mean bypassing lock screen hack :razz:

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
Apple is just providing timely updates that's it and update doesn't mean more features, more performance, more productivity. Sometimes it just mean bypassing lock screen hack :razz:

Dude, Apple is one of the leaders in innovations. Just look at some of the products man:
1. iPhone destroyed the existing phones all around the world (BlackBerry in USA, in India, although indirectly through other companies like Samsung which copied Apple because an average indian couldn't afford iphone :-D. And now you have every company producing smartphones).
2. iPod destroyed existing portable music , video players from Sony, Philips, etc. And then their's iPod Touch.
3. iPad (don't have anything to say as you can see the flood of Tablets )
4. MacBook Air (Almost every other company now has an ultra book).

raksrules

Youngling
One of my freind has recently purchased apply iphone 3 and he is not able to install a single app from istore because the os version his phone supports is outdated and no app supports it .

What is Apply iPhone 3 ? Some sort of clone ?
And what is iPhone 3 ? Never heard of anything like that ?

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
unfortunately it does, and that is a problem. and not everyone wants more features, performance and productivity. some prefer the phone they bought, and not the phone apple decides they need two years later. anyone remember them pushing their own maps instead of google maps? app shopper got pulled, only those who already have it, have not deleted the content on their device can continue to use it. a third party service called tapjoy was banned some time ago, and that bought about some disruptive changes. so it is not a stable ecosystem by any means.

the 5 year old phone no longer has supported apps, but the 4 year old phone does

raksrules

Youngling
i think he's referring to the iPhone 3G.

Ok in that case i am not sure from where and why his friend got iPhone 3G? He should have probably went for 3GS.
Also as far as i know, iPhone 3G was introduced back in 2008 which is like 5 years old and then he expects everything to be compatible with that.

But yes i do agree with the fact that the app store should have older iOS compatible apps so that people with older devices or those who do not wish to update iOS should have the ability to download the apps compatible with older iOS versions.

Vignesh B

Youngling
Depends on the number of calls you get. My father is able to see only ~3 days on the phone because he receives a lot of phone calls.

My father too only can see max 3days call logs

I did not know that. Apologies.

I don't think jailbreak is of any play here. As @ico mentioned it is dependent on number of calls one receives / does in which case mine would be less calls and hence i have more log data.

All of your recent calls are stored in the call_history.db file. That file is a SQLite file which you can easily open. I noticed there are a few parameters in there and one is call history limit which is set to 100, which means it can hold 100 of your most recent calls.

Sarath

iDota
I am kinda surprised at this. I have a female friend who has all her songs neatly placed in her iPhone and she never once asked me about it. She is the same girl who gave me a HDD filled with viruses which got my files screwed. May be it's just our droid minds screwing us up :p

The only annoying attribute about iOS I felt is that one cannot delete a song from the phone/iPod itself. (don't tell me this is possible)

I actually like itunes since it saves me the hassle of transferring the songs individually into specific folders. I initially enjoyed drag and drop on my android but later on as my collection grew it became pretty much evident that I could not manually add songs everytime.
As for my friends, 50% of whom use iPhone, they have downloaded some pirated app on their JBed phone and get their songs.

Now that I think about it, a conflict between iOS and Android, even when being specific to just music is quite conflicting. For example, in my car, connecting my phone is more convenient for me since I can control playback through my steering controls, but I cannot make any changes on the phone, whereas when an iOS device is connected, I can control the songs but not the folders (which is annoying and difficult), but the playback can be controlled through the iDevice itself, which means a specific song can be selected much faster, but not by me and also rendering my steering mounted controls useless. But that in a way puts the passenger in control and prevents driver distraction while providing better control on playback.
Now this is very scenario specific but you will notice that iOS and android always excel in different areas which makes pitting them against each other difficult.

Same reason why I am scared of a life where both my phone and tab are powered by the same OS :D

raksrules

Youngling
The only annoying attribute about iOS I felt is that one cannot delete a song from the phone/iPod itself. (don't tell me this is possible)

As a matter of fact it is possible to delete a song from iPhone / iPod directly without iTunes. No jailbreak needed. Just swipe across the song and a DELETE button will appear. Click that and the song is deleted.
But since the song is still in your iTunes library on your PC the next time you sync your music with the device, it will appear back so it would good if you deleted the song from your library as well.

Check this attachment...
IMG_0606.jpg

Last edited:

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
yep, discovered that backwards swipe thing only recently, it can be used to delete almost anything in a list, even works on messages

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
i think sujay is android user.

If he goes on to review iphone, we can definately rant about everything.

Please don't blame steve jobs.Did he design ios?

Sarath

iDota
I should check it out. Which version of iOS are you using? I tried the reverse swipe before too so it must have been added recently.

raksrules

Youngling
I should check it out. Which version of iOS are you using? I tried the reverse swipe before too so it must have been added recently.

iOS 5.1.1. I am not sure if it came with ios 5 or it was there before in iOS 4.x but my gut feeling says it should have been there.

red dragon

Master troll

It is there since ios 5.
I found one thing really confusing here...even my mother can transfer music from computer to her ipod touch using itunes without a hitch...and some folks here(some love to call themselves power user,who flash their android phone's ROM more often than changing clothes)find it difficult to sync iphone with itunes.It's a strange world we are living in!

Last edited:
OP
dashing.sujay

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I don't know what you are talking about, but syncing songs is pretty simple. Must be a problem at your side.

There was no problem from my side. Everything was installed fresh, and I tried all possible solutions. Problem was that while syncing nothing was transferred. Another way by clicking some "Add to" under iPhone in iTunes was shown in many tutorials, but that button was not present in my system where it should have been. :/

I am kinda surprised at this. I have a female friend who has all her songs neatly placed in her iPhone and she never once asked me about it. She is the same girl who gave me a HDD filled with viruses which got my files screwed. May be it's just our droid minds screwing us up :p

I can just say she was lucky.

I actually like itunes since it saves me the hassle of transferring the songs individually into specific folders. I initially enjoyed drag and drop on my android but later on as my collection grew it became pretty much evident that I could not manually add songs everytime.

Playlist management system is present on most of the players. Adding syncing playlist an "option" is good, but forcing ? Give me a break. What if I want to send a single song ?

i think sujay is android user.

If he goes on to review iphone, we can definately rant about everything.

Please don't blame steve jobs.Did he design ios?

hahaha I used android for just more than a month. My regular phone is and has been a normal Java based phone.

And I haven't ranted over "iPhone" yet, nor would I. I was just cursing iOS limitations.

And Steve Jobs didn't designed iOS. So didn't Shahjahan made TajMahal. I don't know how can you ignore the fact that the _only_ exces pass the design/features/whatsoever list after their discussion.

It is there since ios 5.
I found one thing really confusing here...even my mother can transfer music from computer to her ipod touch using itunes without a hitch...and some folks here(some love to call themselves power user,who flash their android phone's ROM more often than changing clothes)find it difficult to sync iphone with itunes.It's a strange world we are living in!

I really wish I could reply you if you stop your anti-droid attitude. I am no self proclaimed geek; neither do I have biased iOS against android. Mistakes do happen, and only to accept (& resolve) that, I had created this thread. But as it's said, haters will hate and lovers will love, after all it's a free world.

Top Bottom