Favourite PDF reader

Which is your favourite PDF Reader (by usability)

• Adobe Reader

Votes: 18 16.1%
  • Foxit Reader

Votes: 76 67.9%
  • PDF X Change

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • Sumatra

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Others

Votes: 9 8.0%

• Total voters

Krow

Crowman
Adobe is a full bloat, Foxit is good. :)

Foxit is also a bloat nowadays. Recently I downloaded Foxit 4.3 and the installer installed some toolbars and adware without my permission. I did not see any prompt in the installation process which asked for my permission for installing the adware. I double checked just to be sure and both the times Foxit installed the adware. I had to download the .msi file to install without ads. The exe installs the ads.

Also, I use JSTOR: An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie for some reading on certain topics. That website has a lot of PDF files as reading material. Foxit Reader was unable to select the text well in those PDFs. It did not allow me to make comments and notes on the PDFs without a headache due to the bad selection tool. The same problem occurred in some non-Jstor PDF files but most other PDFs worked well.

This made me abandon Foxit. It is as much a bloat as Adobe used to be and does not even work well.

I switched to PDF Xchange Viewer and my job got done smoothly. Hence, I recommend it. The install file is 17MB, but the software is fairly light and does the job well.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
foxit 4 ships with toolbar & ebay link. now with ver5 it is removed i think. or it still packs those adwares?

using foxit & chrome.

Rajesh345

Youngling
foxit 4 ships with toolbar & ebay link. now with ver5 it is removed i think. or it still packs those adwares?

using foxit & chrome.

its removed in V5 but only problem with Foxit series is Size is increasing long back it used to b less than 1MB size and had all the features necessary

V5 is ~ 12MB size

but comparing to other Readers Foxit nice , i personally using it for long time

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
I am irritated with Adobe Reader X with its useless annoying "preparing document" dialog box..My preference is Reader 7 or Foxit.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I <3 Foxit... beyond words...
Love it so much, that I had integrated Foxit with Win XP SP3 installer! :-D

Amhuinn

Right off the assembly line
Well My favorite PDF Reader is Adobe Reader which is also the most popular PDF Reader . I like it very much .

Last edited:

MatchBoxx

the m0nk who sold his PC!
For general PDF file viewing Foxit is always the best

but for a multimedia pdf file with mixed contents like audio and video I like to use adobe pdf reader - it also has gpu acceleration - just enable it in options and see the zooming of a document will be smooth as butter.

this is exactly why, i voted for Adobe in the poll! :p

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Try Nitro PDF reader. Its a reader cum writer. So need for an additional software. Its feature rich but still faster than Adobe Reader.

gaurav.singh

Living With Light
I haven't had any problems with adobe reader but it takes up a lot of resources.
Foxit on the other hand is good enough for most purposes and it takes a lot less memory, both RAM and hard disk. Never had a reason to try any other.

So Foxit.:wink:

Saurav2007

Broken In
Adobe Reader X still is miles ahead of the competition. With over 4 gb ram, who cares for system resources when not running graphics or games. Is there any other PDF reader on the planet which gives features like Read Aloud and Auto Scroll. And yes, adobe allows editing, commenting, etc unlike the past. See, no reason to persist with foxit now

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ are you Sure Adobe Reader X offers editing features - pdf editing feature is only available in Adobe Acrobat X standard/pro/Acrobat X suite edition.

Adobe Acrobat Family | Product comparison

Adobe Acrobat reader is best if you want to take print out or reading multimedia embedded pdf files but for normal pdf files Foxit is still the winner.

Top Bottom