Favourite PDF reader

Which is your favourite PDF Reader (by usability)

• Adobe Reader

Votes: 18 16.1%
  • Foxit Reader

Votes: 76 67.9%
  • PDF X Change

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • Sumatra

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Others

Votes: 9 8.0%

• Total voters

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
also foxit adds its watermark to printed documents which is a strict no no for me. otherwise its ok.

What water mark? I dont even remember the time from when I am using Foxit. And I have seen no water mark!

doomgiver

Warframe
if you want a crazy light and crazy fast READER then try muPDF.

here, i opened a single file across all the readers i could find and manually scrolled down to the end and the results are as follows :

1. muPDF
2. Sumatra pdf
3. Foxit
4. NitroPDF

an interesting note : when i just loaded the file, without scrolling to the bottom, the ram usage of both Foxit and mupdf were almost the same, but when i started scrolling below, the speed became slower in foxit.

also, nitropdf resembles a popular word processing software (no prizes for guessing who) and likewise, is bloated and slow, slowest of all four by far.

infact, i had only scrolled about 1/4 the way down, and i got bored and left it at that.

another note : mupdf is a bit different, it has no interface (all keys are hidden, controlled almost fully by keyboard) but more than makes it up in speed and lightness. those used to emacs/lynx/vim will be right at home. (yay for open source and hackers!!! )

cheers, now go on and fight it out.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
muPDF... looks good. Will try it for a few days.

Btw.. @doomgiver: Wow.. even your login name of Windows is same to the nick of you at TDF! Quite an identity! ;)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ doomgiver - thanks for letting us know about muPDF - will download and use it and post feedback ;-)

doomgiver

Warframe
muPDF... looks good. Will try it for a few days.

Btw.. @doomgiver: Wow.. even your login name of Windows is same to the nick of you at TDF! Quite an identity! ;)

thanks, i've been with this id for a long time, ever since i started playing games. but my brother copied the name for his email id in gmail :(
also, almost every guy at college knows me as doomgiver, coz i used to frag them in CS and pwn their heads in DotA :)

@ doomgiver - thanks for letting us know about muPDF - will download and use it and post feedback ;-)

no problem, i use it mostly for opening ebooks, for the rest, i use sumatra.

RBX

In the zone
Adobe reader plugins often gave trouble in opening pdf in web browser. I've had no issues with Foxit.

RahulB

Journeyman
Foxit in recent times has become quite shady, the new crappy interface and also it has started bundling toolbars with its installer....

My recommendation is: PDF-XChange Viewer....:))

But wait, don't download the any main installer EXE, MSI from its website

From the download page, download the PORTABLE version.

Extract to any folder on your PC.

Delete all the files except the main executable # don't worry it works #,
and start the PDF-XChange viewer, which will ask you to set it as default viewer for PDF Files, click YES and enjoy...

Here are the download links
---------------------------------
Tracker Software Products :: Downloads
---------------------------------

Last edited:

digit.sh

Journeyman
Well, i don't generally use windows, but i keep an old version of foxit reader installed on win7. Earlier it was adobe pdf reader(upto version 6). But now, adobe is nothing but a crappy bloatware.:?
And the same goes to iTunes too.:?

Skynaveen

★★★-DREADLORD-★★★
Foxit is the best. Been using Acrobat reader but it is too slow and not at all lightweight. Acrobat reader always updates eating away bandwidth.
Never heard of the rest though.:mrgreen:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ you can disable acrobat updates and if you have a beefy system running Acrobat reader should not be a big problem - it's main strength is in reading multimedia embedded pdf files though I do agree Foxit is super fast on most pcs ;-)

mitraark

Decrepit
I used Foxit because it was lighter , but one day it didn;t show anything when i tried to open an important document, so since then i have only been using Adobe Reader :|

reniarahim1

Youngling
have been using Adobe Reader till now. One annoying this is the frequent updates. I guess, i have updated Adobe reader more number of times than i actually used it.

after going through the posts, will be trying foxit.

doomgiver

Warframe
Foxit is the best. Been using Acrobat reader but it is too slow and not at all lightweight. Acrobat reader always updates eating away bandwidth.
Never heard of the rest though.:mrgreen:

if you want lightweight, use sumatraPDF, or MuPDF, both are much lighter and faster than either acrobat or foxit

Foxit is the best!!

have you even read what has been posted so far?
also, its not a matter of being best.
if you want functionality, adobe acrobat or nitro pdf are good
if you want speed, and lightweight software, choose muPDF.

personally, i use sumatraPDF.

kisame

King of Heroes
Foxit reader for me.very fast to load.
Rarely come across pdf files with multimedia so no adobe reader for me.

Top Bottom