Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
Finally started far cry 3.
Not a joy to play on the x360 controller :p Switched back to keyboard+mouse |m|

Getting 28-32 fps with medium settings,HDAO and 4x anti aliasing @1080p on Ati catalyst drivers 12.6. FPS jumps to 40-48 at some places.

On High, I get 24-26.
very high = 18-24 fps.
Ultra = 18-20 fps :p

Will try out the depth of field disabling trick now and see if performances improves.

gameranand

Living to Play
^^ Turn off anti aliasing and it might give you a FPS boost. Also see a link posted in this thread for the optimization of this game on AMD cards. :)

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
^ Yeah I learned about the depth of field disabling from that link.
I am not sure whether I want to turn off anti aliasing or not. The edges get a little too sharp for my liking :(

Disabled DOF:- Didn't get too much of a boost :\ about 2-3 fps. Disabled MSAA to see and things don't look too sharp and jagged. Getting 45-50 fps now.

Thanks @ gameranand and mandarpalshikar :)

Last edited:

Badmash

Journeyman
Playing Fc3 at 1080p on Ultra settings with 8 months old rig! xD Happy happy happy :p awesome gameplay + awesome graphics xD

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Finally started far cry 3.
Not a joy to play on the x360 controller :p Switched back to keyboard+mouse |m|

Getting 28-32 fps with medium settings,HDAO and 4x anti aliasing @1080p on Ati catalyst drivers 12.6. FPS jumps to 40-48 at some places.

On High, I get 24-26.
very high = 18-24 fps.
Ultra = 18-20 fps :p

Will try out the depth of field disabling trick now and see if performances improves.

I think you need to update the gpu driver - test with 12.11.

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
^ I always got less fps with all the drivers after 12.6 From 12.7 to 12.10, every game gave fewer FPS.

Haven't tried 12.11.

Which 12.11 version beta to try?

Update:- AA off,DOF- disabled. Turned everything to max settings under custom except PostFxQuality-(disabled). Getting a comfortable 40-56 fps :O Drops to 32-35 at times.
So basically I am running the game all ultra minus postfx/dof and AA. :D

Last edited:

mandarpalshikar

Why So Serious ???
Guys... don't patch your far cry 3 to 1.03 yet... I tested it myself last night and game keeps crashing randomly. There are similar reports from other gamers as well.

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
Couldn't live with the jagged sharp grass :p
Switched back to 2x msaa. still getting around 38fps. playable enough.

Btw, the constant tutorials popping up is annoying -_-

Had first trip sequence and unleashed a tiger on an enemy camp. xD

mandarpalshikar

Why So Serious ???
^^ Which driver version are you using? I'm getting merely 30FPS with 2xmsaa that too with some stuttering with my config at ultra high. At what setting are you running the game? high? or with directx 9 ?

Here are my settings and fps i get -

*lh3.googleusercontent.com/-JrHerj1PoKA/UMwlh4ZLWPI/AAAAAAAAEgs/JdHqd_JlD2E/s640/FC3_Video.jpg
*lh6.googleusercontent.com/-ImEidRqLpCs/UMwlie1AVjI/AAAAAAAAEgw/39ujGNTqUx0/s640/FC3_Video_Q.jpg
*lh6.googleusercontent.com/-HM7r2fb_Buc/UMwljhLH7bI/AAAAAAAAEg8/JumSkVnE-qI/s640/FC3_xml.jpg

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
I am using 12.6 drivers :p Way old.

And yes my custom settings are exactly the same as yours. Post fx shows "low" but I have disabled it in the gamerprofile.ini file.
And MSAA is 2x only. And I'm using dx11 as well.

Will post the screens a little later. Currently in the middle of assassins creed 3 mission. Will post far cry 3 screenshots soon.

And 30fps? :O Really? Dude you are using an hd7950!! Is it a constant 30 fps or sometimes it srops to 30 fps?

I'm getting 35-38 (varies with the location) and sometimes dipping to 28.

mandarpalshikar

Why So Serious ???
it drops to 30 fps sometimes (quiet frequently though) and reaches max 38

AMD need to work on their drivers quickly. Same problem is with Hitman Absolution. When MSAA is turned to even 2x fps drops to unplayable levels. Though, visually I did not find any difference between playing with MSAA on anf Off.

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
*i46.tinypic.com/mt70pc.jpg

*i47.tinypic.com/sgir0m.jpg

*i47.tinypic.com/1129zdx.jpg <= This is how the game looks in these settings. 35-38 fps again. Ocassional dips to 29-32 fps(frequently). But most of the time it is 35-38.

Those are my settings. The only change is that I have set gpu max buffer frames to "1". Will check what happens if I increase it.

Update:- set it to 5. Framerate took a hit of 2-4 fps,so changed it back to one.

mandarpalshikar

Why So Serious ???
max buffer frames setting doesn't make any difference on my config... may be its related to VRAM... since 7950 has got 3Gb of it, no effect.

I just tried that PostFX thing... it also is not having any effect on frame rates. Be it "false", low or high.

Top Bottom