FAQ and Help for Freshers In IT/Govt jobs

OP
sam_738844

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
^^if you have passion for information security then go for it but let me tell you one thing about govt jobs.yes in many govt jobs you have to work but if average for a year is considered the % of hard working govt jobs is much less compared to pvt sector.now about backstabbing yes it exists in govt jobs but it is a matter of concern only if you are in some serious bribe taking(not sharing with your colleagues/snatching their opportunities to take bribe/offended some old timer) but if you are only interested in official salary,perks & some reasonable extra income then you are pretty much safe.only thing you should keep in mind is that you don't always get what you want & many times you have to make compromises.it is entirely possible that even with passion you will not make it big in information security while even without passion you will lead a very comfortable life in a govt job so question is this:would you ever regret joining IT if you fail to achieve what you dreamt of?if yes then probably IT is not for you,if no then you are made for IT sector.

Incredibly false....The world is not Running on Govt jobs and its so called "not so passionate but comfortable" machinery only....Billions of people in the whole world are working in Information Science and they are not returning home every evening with "why am i doing this" or "why have i joined IT" mindset. Even juniors like nginx very well comprehended that every designation , every job has its own pros and cons....there could be thousands of instances shown where Govt Sector employees are grumbling, extremely dissatisfied, even protesting in days long campaigns against poor work culture and lack of basic infrastructure in so many areas, especially in suburban and rural ones. I am amazed to see that even in 2013, arguments are being made on points which actually means "The only class of people who may have lot of passion but wants very uncomfortable and regretful job title can join IT, others please go to Govt...just because in Govt jobs...without passion you can make money comfortably" How irredeemably foolish this can be? How many times i have to portray that discussing the credibility of IT sector and going against it with vague directives like such above...proves nothing but immaturity.

With a moral and sincere sense of learning, i humbly would beg people posting here... to concentrate on the factors which ACTUALLY encourages people to join Govt Jobs rather than dwelling on negativity of its "imaginary" rival sector such as IT.

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
^^if you have passion for information security then go for it but let me tell you one thing about govt jobs.yes in many govt jobs you have to work but if average for a year is considered the % of hard working govt jobs is much less compared to pvt sector.now about backstabbing yes it exists in govt jobs but it is a matter of concern only if you are in some serious bribe taking(not sharing with your colleagues/snatching their opportunities to take bribe/offended some old timer) but if you are only interested in official salary,perks & some reasonable extra income then you are pretty much safe.only thing you should keep in mind is that you don't always get what you want & many times you have to make compromises.it is entirely possible that even with passion you will not make it big in information security while even without passion you will lead a very comfortable life in a govt job so question is this:would you ever regret joining IT if you fail to achieve what you dreamt of?if yes then probably IT is not for you,if no then you are made for IT sector.

Dude don't generalize.If someone has a true passion he can achieve success no matter which sector he is in.It all depends on definition of success you talk about.

Every sector has pros and cons-
Govt sector-
Pros-Job security,decent starting pay(6th pay commission),Fixed timings,Decent perks ,salary,Service to people,Moderate growth.
Cons-Nepotism,Politics in promotion,Reservation(gonna come soon in promotion),Frustration in some time of life ,Transfers, Remote field postings,Corruption,Retirement by 60.etc

Private sector-
Pros-Higher pay,Recognition of talent,Performance based pay,Good work culture,Less politics and nepotism,No retirement.
Cons-Job not secure,Work pressure(doesn't matter if you are passionate) .

A IAS officer or central govt employee cannot make more than 1.5Lks per month / 20Lk p.a by end of
his service(without considering bribes-assume honest). If he spends less , end of his service he can buy max
one property in his life time.

But People like E.Sreedharan (Delhi metro chief) ,Dr A.P.J Kalam, etc ,IPS Shivdeep Lande(Patna hero cop).
They were passionate about service and joined public sector.The got the name and fame because they were passionate.

On other hand look at top CEOS ,CTOs ,Managers etc in top private cos-They easily reach 2Crore to 3Crore or more in corporate sector.
These people work passionately and reach top post.They can buy anything.
People like Chanda Kochhar (ICICI CEO), Ratan Tata,Narayan Murthy had passions.But they chose private sector and succeeded.
They were great entrepreneurs.Created so many jobs for so many young people in this country.

So always choose a career by your passion and priorities in life rather than being conservative and thinking negatively.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dude don't generalize.If someone has a true passion he can achieve success no matter which sector he is in
this is where you didn't get my point.if you measure your passion with success then you simply don't have a real passion.e.g.an above average person with a passion of teaching because he believes in it joined a govt school,taught honestly,never gave private tuition to earn extra money & retired as a simple man.throughout his profession he never regretted not joining govt service even when he knew he could have & this is real passion.
now imagine a person who joined IT sector hoping to reach a CEO level position & salary of crores but after working hard for years could only reach middle management level earning few lakhs per month with lots of tension/responsibilities he never thought of when young.after watching one of his friend who joined a govt job same time he joined IT sector now becoming a gazatted officer with power & social status he now regret why he too didn't joined govt service.

just like not every govt employee can be E sreedharan similarly not every IT sector employee can become next CEO/narayan murthy.this is the reality of life & this is where you have to be completely honest with yourself about your passion.a person having true passion may not make it big but he will not regret following his passion.if you only care about success then you simply don't have passion.i am not saying don't follow your passion,i am saying first identify if you even have a true passion at all.

P.S.btw many persons don't become IAS just to earn money but to actually bring about some meaningful changes in society.a honest IAS officer can change lives of more people than a top level entrepreneur.

tkin

Back to school!!
this is where you didn't get my point.if you measure your passion with success then you simply don't have a real passion.e.g.an above average person with a passion of teaching because he believes in it joined a govt school,taught honestly,never gave private tuition to earn extra money & retired as a simple man.throughout his profession he never regretted not joining govt service even when he knew he could have & this is real passion.
now imagine a person who joined IT sector hoping to reach a CEO level position & salary of crores but after working hard for years could only reach middle management level earning few lakhs per month with lots of tension/responsibilities he never thought of when young.after watching one of his friend who joined a govt job same time he joined IT sector now becoming a gazatted officer with power & social status he now regret why he too didn't joined govt service.

just like not every govt employee can be E sreedharan similarly not every IT sector employee can become next CEO/narayan murthy.this is the reality of life & this is where you have to be completely honest with yourself about your passion.a person having true passion may not make it big but he will not regret following his passion.if you only care about success then you simply don't have passion.i am not saying don't follow your passion,i am saying first identify if you even have a true passion at all.

P.S.btw many persons don't become IAS just to earn money but to actually bring about some meaningful changes in society.a honest IAS officer can change lives of more people than a top level entrepreneur.
You mean friend with reservation, the way caste and category politics is heading, soon a general category person won't even be able to become a gazetted officer from clerk.

Also, 90% of the people I know who are ICS or are studying for ICS are doing it for the status only, the person who wan't to become ICS to help society are critically endangered..

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
You mean friend with reservation, the way caste and category politics is heading, soon a general category person won't even be able to become a gazetted officer from clerk.

Also, 90% of the people I know who are ICS or are studying for ICS are doing it for the status only, the person who wan't to become ICS to help society are critically endangered..
don't worry.reservation in promotion is not a decided issue & will take constitutional amendment & long fought supreme court case to apply universally.as of now the only issue of concern in some govt departments is that your colleague who joined at same time as you got promotion 2 years earlier than you because of promotion.promotion in govt job is not merit based but seniority based so after a fixed period of time you will get promotion just that in some cases because of reservation this period can be smaller.

ratul

█████████████████

i want to add something to this, many of my friends have joined coaching center called "Made Easy", where they teach you for GATE as well as IAS/IES posts, and teachers there claim themselves as "TOP level IAS/IES officers who got <100 rank in their respective exams and now teaching here"..
My friend told me that the teachers frankly told them that while doing their govt. job, they were paid very less, ~50k for that post, here while teaching, they earn ~1.2lacs per month, so that's why they left their posts...
Now, they tell their stories that how much power they used to feel with the status they had, and inspired by them, all the students there now want to join IAS or IES not for any social causes, but only because they want that "power" in their hands, and i mean literally all of them..
And made easy is not a small coaching center, it's one of the largest and trusted coaching centers in india, with over 300 students per batch, so you can think that what's the thinking of these "future IAS officers", they don't want to join for any social cause.. :(

OP
sam_738844

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
Ratul, the want of power is not that bad, It has origin since the death of Dinosaurs via Alexander The great through the rail-lines of East India company and then making "Complete Men in Poiltics" since 1947 in India...:) Want of Power is nothing to be worried about, USE OF THAT POWER IS...

ratul

█████████████████
Ratul, the want of power is not that bad, It has origin since the death of Dinosaurs via Alexander The great through the rail-lines of East India company and then making "Complete Men in Poiltics" since 1947 in India...:) Want of Power is nothing to be worried about, USE OF THAT POWER IS...

yes that i knw, i was just presenting my views on the statement of whitestar that many join IAS for meaningful changes in society, none of them gives a damn about society, those many are actually very few left now..

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
and teachers there claim themselves as "TOP level IAS/IES officers who got <100 rank in their respective exams and now teaching here"..
bullsh1t.putting IAS & IES in same category is like placing a ferrari with a hyundai.i have lived in Delhi & made easy is just a small institute for IES compared to the likes of vajiram & ravi/mohanti of synergy whose name every decent UPSC civil services aspirant knows & where teachers make crores in months.there never was any teacher in these institutes who actually got an under 100 or even under 200 rank in UPSC civil serices & left to join these institutes.though i have heard about some IES leaving their job for coaching institutes.

OP
sam_738844

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
bullsh1t.putting IAS & IES in same category is like placing a ferrari with a hyundai.i have lived in Delhi & made easy is just a small institute for IES compared to the likes of vajiram & ravi/mohanti of synergy whose name every decent UPSC civil services aspirant knows & where teachers make crores in months.there never was any teacher in these institutes who actually got an under 100 or even under 200 rank in UPSC civil serices & left to join these institutes.though i have heard about some IES leaving their job for coaching institutes.

dat analogy!!!

dat income!!!

Ratul ..Y U NO leave IT security and Join synergy?

tkin

Back to school!!
Wait, rule of thumb, engineers go for IES and general students for IAS, one issue with IAS is that even with all that power you'll be a puppet to the politicians,here some influential people even threaten them openly, no person with even a morsel of dignity should go for IAS, IES all the way.

tkin

Back to school!!
hehe.. :p
wat, synergy shoes from action?? :p
no thanks, i love my coding world.. :D
Its one crore per annum, with that much money I could finally leave the footpath and get myself a home, and hot food, regularly, gimme synargy contact no.

ratul

█████████████████
Its one crore per annum, with that much money I could finally leave the footpath and get myself a home, and hot food, regularly, gimme synargy contact no.

i think he mentioned crores in a month.. :p
btw, it's going offtopic guys, i found this one site (Ethical Hacker Penetration Tester Salary in United States | Indeed.com), is this data reliable??
*i.imgur.com/Dn6zomo.png

if it's true, then y we don't see this in india, ($1lac=55lac rs. pa)..

tkin

Back to school!!
The same reason a CEO in India is paid a lot less than CEOs in USA. 100k is not that a big salary in USA, check out how much a top lawyer makes.

OP
sam_738844

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
Shortcut to crore per month--> First Join IAS or IES even if your too damn interested in computers and coding and all...j j..just leave it...u gonna make crores in month!

Then just spend 30-35 years and then retire to become Ex-I*S. Then when your about like 60 years old, join synergy to teach really really rich people abolut how to crack those exams..

congo...thats it! u have 1 crore in ur bank account at the end of that month..wat? not satisfied? what did u say..."u forgot coding which you most loved?" dont worry... join an IT farm now.

tkin

Back to school!!
Shortcut to crore per month--> First Join IAS or IES even if your too damn interested in computers and coding and all...j j..just leave it...u gonna make crores in month!

Then just spend 30-35 years and then retire to become Ex-I*S. Then when your about like 60 years old, join synergy to teach really really rich people abolut how to crack those exams..

congo...thats it! u have 1 crore in ur bank account at the end of that month..wat? not satisfied? what did u say..."u forgot coding which you most loved?" dont worry... join an IT farm now.
A crore you say... goes to study hard.....