FAQ and Help for Freshers In IT/Govt jobs

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
:cool: IT is fun...its shortcut, its money, its Black Tshirt and Denim Jeans.. FastTrack on Fridays, Cool Laptops...Beautiful Ladies...spicy street food...pizza/beer, hell lot friends and Moulin Rouge on any occassion.

Also...

:twisted: IT has recession, IT has 24X7 continuos stretch, IT has escalations...deadlines, clients , Code fails and above all managers.

Weekends in IT can come down dripping with the lunar shadow in your vodka glass, fly away with blue smoke outta a party hall....

OR

It can come down like thunderbolts in your PC monitor.... a cold lonely night in a 13th floor cubicle..... and fly by while you brush your red eyes staring at the five thousand line code you wrote with a missing comma in a notepad.

For a start...this guide is for freshers only who are about the live their dreams soon, i can help a bit to avoid the dream to become nightmare....Shoot out whatever you wish to know about IT life...I'll try within my limits to help.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Re: FAQ and Help for Freshers In IT/Telecom

IT is fun...its shortcut, its money, its Black Tshirt and Denim Jeans.. FastTrack on Fridays, Cool Laptops...Beautiful Ladies...spicy street food...pizza/beer, hell lot friends and Moulin Rouge on any occassion.
you forgot to add that this is true only for a minority(say less than 10%) & requires coding skills which makes you stand out in the crowd or some serious people networking skills along with above average coding skills.:)
source:experience of friends working in IT.

OP
sam_738844

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl

^^ NO

Moving Up in IT is 10% code or less, and 90-99% Knowing ur Job and getting it done the smartest, shortest and safest way possible. Freshers in testing/Support or Cross functional CRM/SAP platforms DO NOT CODE.... They must be reflexive, fast responsive, compliant and dedicated.

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member

care to explain in a bit detailed manner.that's why i add people networking skills.i have read many stories about backstabbing/credit stealing etc where those who don't deserve still get the best out of assignments.
everyone i ever met(& i have met many) was willing to left IT for any govt. group B service or lucrative group C service like custom excise inspector including those earning 50000+ & some few weeks assignment abroad.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness

^^ Agreed.

@whitestar_999
I have been working in Software Development for last 5 years, so my word is the proof. Not from my friends who working in IT.

OP
sam_738844

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl

People Networkign is not part of coding if that what you are asking. People management starts from the very day u joined ur first company. And credit stealing? that starts from school. Of course people will move out if IT with more lucrative opportunities, and IT will be doomed one day, but that does not stop a billion peopulation country from Joining IT industry.

^^ Agreed.

@whitestar_999
I have been working in Software Development for last 5 years, so my word is the proof. Not from my friends who working in IT.

Furious, you and I both the hard truth about IT , dont we? But can we afford to discourage Freshers with those right from start or should we try to be a little more optimistic, I currently am leading a big project component and i do know that people transmigrating from other platforms such as core electronics or telecom will eventually get sick and tired of the routine and will move on. But see around, their places will be filled up with hundred more enthusiasts on next few months...even I will move out from IT but...that never justfies discouragement.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member

i am just saying that IT is not such a lucrative opportunity for many.e.g.i am assuming that any decent IT employee will have above average quantitative & english comprehension skills.with this coupled with a bit of preparation(much less than for IIM) one can easily clear SSC CGL exam & get a much better post.now if a person has the choice of joining IT or clear CGL exam with decent rank with a little additional effort then IT doesn't stand a chance.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness

Furious, you and I both the hard truth about IT , dont we? But can we afford to discourage Freshers with those right from start or should we try to be a little more optimistic, I currently am leading a big project component and i do know that people transmigrating from other platforms such as core electronics or telecom will eventually get sick and tired of the routine and will move on. But see around, their places will be filled up with hundred more enthusiasts on next few months...even I will move out from IT but...that never justfies discouragement.

Dude, where is the discouraging part? It was not my intention and i believe whatever i wrote is not meant to discourage freshers.

OP
sam_738844

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl

@whitestar... with due respect ....Your perspective is shallow....let me ask you, out of hundreds of engineering colleges and thousands of emerging CSE/IT pass-outs, how many of them truly realize or can afford to realize that cracking Public Sector/ Competitive exams are not cake walks? They spent the most serious part of their career in some private engg college struggling for 4 years with more than 40 different subject....amongst which many are rendered uselss in any modern industry....and that too against paying a humongous amount of money! Can they afford to think anything outside IT as its still the most shortest way to get appointed?

Secondly, if a XYZ person who is credibly strong in comprehension, quanti and has decent prepation on generic fields such as GK and also knows computers...why would he care to join IT in the first place if IT is not that lucrative ?, why he has to first join IT and then switch to CGL SSC or core? If someone is that good and thinks that a PS/Bank/LIC/BARC/DRDO/SSC/PSC/RAIL/ISRO/HAL even EIL/ONGC and Fortune 500 or Navaratna Organisations are waiting for him only, why on earth he's perception would lean towards IT first. IT is made for everyone, IT is open to all, we all know that studens in BIOTECH, Food TEch, Mechanical, Civil, Any non-it field can have ample chance to use their intellect and skills to flourish in IT, hence the term Shortcut.

IT lets you be-in-tech and earn in shortest time and with minimal efforts....and so gives you the foundation to be something else you ought to be....IT never drags anyone into it...people are dragged into it by its nature...

@furious..it sounded so...anyway apologies if offended.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness

@sam - that's ok dude.

It all depends of people's perception towards IT. People think IT as status symbol. Having a own business is less valued than a guy working in big IT company, in my place. So it all boils down to people's mind. They don't even care about other aspects and want to secure a job, settle down, get married, save money in bank and die in peace. All they want is steady pay every month. They are not ready to tale any risk even if that can be potentially make them a millionaire. Settled down in one ugly word i hate to hear, and i hate to see people see other profession's(apart from IT) with disrespect. Yes, when i say i am doing business and getting some good money, they look like, you are not s/w guy, then why did you do B.Tech in IT ? I mean WTF!!!.

Even people who want to take a risk in life will be demotivated by these people and started going to IT jobs, for me as example.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member

@sam_738844,just like you know about IT i know about govt.services.ISRO,BARC & DRDO are specialized institutes which covers a very limited % of engg. graduates.bank PO job is worst public sector job(note it is not govt job because a govt job means directly working under govt. of india which means jobs in PSU's like ntpc & banks except RBI are not govt. jobs).jobs in Insurance companies like LIC etc are also not better than in IT for most of the times.now take a look at SSC CGL 2012 exam papers & cutoff(which in reserve categories is as low as ~280 for interview posts out of 600).these papers don't even come close to levels of various MBA exams & its english paper(consisting of 250 marks in total) actually has questions which involves active-passive & direct-indirect speech conversions of 10th class level.anyone with a decent knowledge of maths & english & with right preparation can crack SSC CGL exam.in fact i would say something like you said but more accurate:anyone who with some extra effort can't even score ~320 marks in SSC CGL exam has little chances of leading a comfortable & good life in IT sector.

P.S.i have friends/know people working in bank PO as well as Insurance & yes they were the ones who told me about their hardships without me asking.

OP
sam_738844

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl

^^ agreed that you have clear idea about Govt Jobs, but you forgot something... the basic purpose of education and categorizing it....you have to think of everyone man....On one hand you are telling about LIC/PO are not good enough compared to IT and there are instances of SSC CGL being easy-to-crack. Now think about all those general science graudates or people from commerse background or may be arts and so....they are substancially great in number...and we cant ignore the truth that in india, they are considered less eligible in terms of Degree if we compare them with B.Techs.

As you might know B.Tech is equivalent to any Master Degree scale in general Science. Now it never in scale of merit and talent, justifies that a ordinary B.Tech is fairer than M.S.C or Honors Graduate...but its the majority of pupils (where there are many are really backward) are measured like that and its also a burning question that, if all IT or Btech Graduate starts to veer for SSC, where all those General Science graduates who are not so forward in talent...would go? ( the basic reason the SSC/PSC/CSC exams are less merit seeking than raw quantitive)

Its an unwritten rule that being an B.Tech, you are overqualified for the post. You will be given less priority when sitting for those exams and also in interview...and also know that even in P.O/LIC and other PSU...will be asking very carefully designed questions about the very purpose of your so called "Engineering" degree when you will try to justify that you are also good in General Science and can compete. Its not the point that you can not, its point of "why".

Example : Me...Andhra Bank P.O interview...2009 March. 26 questions were asked, amongst them 14 led to same notion as to "Whey the hell are you here for if you did B.Tech in com Science?" "and whats the gurantee that you will not leave this bank as soon as the recession gets over?". Its not surprising...its reality.

@sam - that's ok dude.

It all depends of people's perception towards IT. People think IT as status symbol. Having a own business is less valued than a guy working in big IT company, in my place. So it all boils down to people's mind. They don't even care about other aspects and want to secure a job, settle down, get married, save money in bank and die in peace. All they want is steady pay every month. They are not ready to tale any risk even if that can be potentially make them a millionaire. Settled down in one ugly word i hate to hear, and i hate to see people see other profession's(apart from IT) with disrespect. Yes, when i say i am doing business and getting some good money, they look like, you are not s/w guy, then why did you do B.Tech in IT ? I mean WTF!!!.

Even people who want to take a risk in life will be demotivated by these people and started going to IT jobs, for me as example.

@furious...true about perception... i also despise people who underestimate non-IT jobs and persuasions....even my manager is from Physics Hns...there is no point. About aspirations....we can not assume on the risk one possibly can think of taking where there lies possibilities of failing...where the majority (again) is appearing from mid class families with financial encumbrance and has loans to pay....and where there are not much millionairs around to motivate or teach how to take that risk.

So a steady income, good night sleep, smile in the face of parents and a robust savings account is a very very obvious things to start career with. Almost all would agree to that, besides, there is no end to ambition or aspirations ....minds, when growing up can cook up immense possibilities of one to become more and more successful...... and IT has never ever denied to that,

we all know of the stalwarts and legends of today's tech world and their sucess stories, no one is stopping no one to achieve such greatness. It can always happen. And doing business after studying IT is actually the path to excel, there will always be stupid people who would comment for the sake of it.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness

^^ Not always gonna help. For me i don't want steady income, good night sleep. I want something better. Want to do something so even my grand children have no issue financially and want to spend some quality time with my family whenever i want to, which is not happening because of hectic work in my company.

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent

So where is the FAQ as title says? Stay on topic and don't turn it into another IT jobs bashing thread.

Every sector has its share of advantage and disadvantages.Its all about
tight choice at right time.

OP
sam_738844

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl

Exactly my point...its you..not all that can think with same alignment...however i think this thread is becoming more like 99999 reasons to hate IT jobs rather than help to freshers with tips... :) no offense.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness

So where is the FAQ as title says? Stay on topic and don't turn it into another IT jobs bashing thread.

OP clearly mentioned, if freshers have any questions, they can post here,and we will help. So i guess we have to wait till some fresher post here. If you feel the posts are not relevant you are welcome to remove those posts.

OP
sam_738844

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl

Thanks gopi...this thread is open to all, whenever i see questions, i will answer...it was more like a healthy discussion to start with.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member

i disagree & think some of my posts can be considered as FAQ.e.g.if you are a decent B.Tech graduate having above average english skill then you would be missing an excellent opportunity of getting a good govt. job if you only decide to join IT just for the sake of job & salary & have no passion/dream for it(such people are significant in number).

@sam_738844,SSC jobs are on a different level than bank PO jobs & no one in interview will hold it against you if you are a B.tech.hell i know IIT graduates taking up SSC jobs as an alternative for UPSC civil services(which already is dominated by engg. graduates).

P.S. for many people its not all about money but also authority.a person working in IT sector earning 50000+ commented(on another forum) after clearing SSC CGL & getting group B custom excise service on why he is leaving his job which pays so much & will only increase in future:
there are ~50000 IT professionals in/around bangalore but only ~4000 custom inspectors in whole India.let's see how many people are willing to misbehave with you/your family members when you are a custom inspector compared to when you are an IT professional

nginx

In the zone

@sam_738844,just like you know about IT i know about govt.services.ISRO,BARC & DRDO are specialized institutes which covers a very limited % of engg. graduates.bank PO job is worst public sector job(note it is not govt job because a govt job means directly working under govt. of india which means jobs in PSU's like ntpc & banks except RBI are not govt. jobs).jobs in Insurance companies like LIC etc are also not better than in IT for most of the times.now take a look at SSC CGL 2012 exam papers & cutoff(which in reserve categories is as low as ~280 for interview posts out of 600).these papers don't even come close to levels of various MBA exams & its english paper(consisting of 250 marks in total) actually has questions which involves active-passive & direct-indirect speech conversions of 10th class level.anyone with a decent knowledge of maths & english & with right preparation can crack SSC CGL exam.in fact i would say something like you said but more accurate:anyone who with some extra effort can't even score ~320 marks in SSC CGL exam has little chances of leading a comfortable & good life in IT sector.

P.S.i have friends/know people working in bank PO as well as Insurance & yes they were the ones who told me about their hardships without me asking.

Are you sure a score of 320 is good enough to get any sort of post at all? I'm not talking about reserved quota as most of us belong to General. I have heard that a minimum of atleast 420-430 is required to qualify and that for most of the good posts score above 450 is needed. Now that kind of score is certainly by no means easy to get considering the level of competition. Can you please clear the confusion?

@All, since many of you already experienced in IT sector, I am asking you a question. I have been waiting for almost 9 months for my joining letter from CTS. At this point as you would expect I have completely lost touch with studies and have forgotten everything that I studied during those 4 years. Will this be a problem on joining?

I understand Sam is trying to be optimistic and give encouragement to freshers to look forward to the IT world. But from what I am hearing from my friends who have already joined, they aren't exactly enjoying their time at the job. Having to work weekends and late hours can kill that enjoyment faster than anything.

Its an unwritten rule that being an B.Tech, you are overqualified for the post. You will be given less priority when sitting for those exams and also in interview...and also know that even in P.O/LIC and other PSU...will be asking very carefully designed questions about the very purpose of your so called "Engineering" degree when you will try to justify that you are also good in General Science and can compete. Its not the point that you can not, its point of "why".

Example : Me...Andhra Bank P.O interview...2009 March. 26 questions were asked, amongst them 14 led to same notion as to "Whey the hell are you here for if you did B.Tech in com Science?" "and whats the gurantee that you will not leave this bank as soon as the recession gets over?". Its not surprising...its reality.

Why would a BTech be more overqualified that say a MSc grad? My cousin sister is a MA grad and I don't consider myself superior to her. Banks while giving jobs can't automatically assume that every BTech grad only wants a career in the IT field. Some of us actually want a career in the banking sector. Many of us started doing BTech with one goal in mind but during the course of those 4 years, those goals are bound to change, our perspectives are bound to change as well, right? Its not all about landing a 50k/month job for everyone. The authority, stability and prestige that comes with even a 20k/month govt is worth more to many people.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member

@nginx,as per cutoff list available on SSC website for CGL 2012 the cutoff for general category for Inspector(central excise) in Karnataka region is 378.25 & for assistant in CSS(central secretariat service,delhi) is 382.25 & these marks include interview marks(out of 100) so assuming a score of ~50 in interview(which any decent interview will get) written marks required for general category candidates is ~328.25 & 332.25 respectively.

Top Bottom