Engineering Stream Related Queries

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
i'm aspiring to be an engineer.
but wait !
I have to choose a field first.

I Googled for some websites which could tell me that Engineers in _____ Field do _____________ when they go to Jobs.
and found very little piece of advice,
so, sharing whatever goo i got from Google here.
though the main motive of this thread is to help me (as well as many Digitians who are ready for Counselling.

so, Dear Digitians, Please help me choose my field.

Wbjee rank : 2657
10+2 top5 Percentage = 75%
10+2 Percentile = 96.33
Board : WBCHSE
Jee Main Score = 156
Jee Main Rank = 52396 (overall, All India)
Jee Advanced Score = 101 (Disqualified , no rank , No IIT :hissyfit: )

finaly, My Hopes and Interests : I am confused between which of the following 5 Fields to choose.

Electrical Engineering
Mechanical Engineering
Computer Science and Engineering/Computer Sc. and Technology
Electronics & Communication Engineering/Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering
Applied Electronics & Instrumentation Engineering
Electrical & Electronics Engineering
Instrumentation & Electronics Engineering

I have much faith in the Fact (may be a MYTH) that I do Like Computers and Electronics both, I mean, i'm always ready with a screw Driver to open up almost anything with Electric Current Flowing somewhere within it.
and all things except three (a stupid LG Earphone which got stuck with a door magnet for days, a Handheld Radio Receiver, another local Earphone) opened by me so far were Repaired alright
as for examples, i Repaired my Frontech Speakers when they were having trouble because only the beats (not all though) were coming out of them, it was a "Un-soldered Capacitor)
i think much nonsense has been typed, so i should stop here.
please Digitians , help me choose a good field.

-----------------------------------
Some Good Resources i came across while Googling :
Explore Careers in Engineering

Electronics engineer vs electrical engineer? : Yahoo Answers

With so many engineering fields to choose from, how do I pick the right one?

Types of Engineers :Check out the different fields of engineering

Ask an Engineer - Engineering Personality Traits (this gets better after a two or three para's)

Last edited:

AcceleratorX

Youngling
Since you are interested in opening up electrical devices and fixing them; I'd say you have a penchant for Electronics. I do not think Mechanical is right for you; but do explain why you are interested in mechanical.

Basically, the course content is as follows:

Electrical Engg./Electrical and Electronics Engineering: Power Plants, Electrical Machines, Electro-mechanic systems, Electronics and Power Electronics, HVDC and HVAC systems, electrical and electronic measurements and testing

Electronics and Communication: Electronic/Optoelectronic Devices and Circuits, Communication systems, embedded systems, mobile/radar communication, microwave communication (basically anything "gadget" related), networking, etc.

ECE will also give you a bit of a base in software; so it is easier to go to Computer related fields from ECE than from others.

Electronics and Instrumentation: Electronic/Optoelectronic Devices and Circuits, Instrumentation for science, labs and industry, Communication, Control Systems for electro-mechanical/chemical systems, Nuclear detectors, probes, etc.

E&I and ECE overlap in terms of job profile; however ECE is better suited to join the IT industry. E&I is a decent base if you wish to do research in basic sciences or experimental physics/analytical chemistry, but that is a path not many will take (why would an ordinary guy want to do analytical chemistry after a B.E.?)

CSE: Well, everyone knows what CSE is.

Based on the above, you can make your choice. I recommend ECE for you; but if you get EEE in a good college, that will also do and so will E&I (though, keep that as the last option).

OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
thanks buddy.
anyways,
any recommended college via Wbjee ?

i have already filled for Jadavpur University, Jalpaiguri Govt Engg College
though i dont think i'll be able to get in the first one

OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
now, my jee main rank is 52396.
which is the worst i could think of, actually, coundn't think of that worst a rank even in my dreams. (BTW< i got a dream two days ago that i had got 35734 rank :wink:, was happy all two days :D )

i saw in this website :
*www.aieee.collegecutoff.com/a...toff_2012.aspx

they show that NIT Durgapur had CR of 56k and 52 k respectively in EE and CSE .(of course, for home state quota)
anybody knows about whether this is correct ?

OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
Please guys help .
Should I take Biotechno NIT Durgapur and change the Field after one year ?
and how hard is it.? (changing the field from Bio techno to CSE or ECE ?

and I have my mind both over ECE and CSE.
which one should i take ?
I love computers, but other Electronic hardware too.

Which are the Fields related to Computers after Btech such that I can join that after completing Btech in Electronics and communications ?
I am able to take admission in jalpaiguri Govt Engg College through WBJEE.
I mean I just cant get admission in BESU and Jadavpur University, I can take any field in any college beyond that via WBJEE rank., I'm sure about this.
so which college should I look at via WBJEE, just in case I cannot get any NIT.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
don't go for biotech & forget about changing branch from biotech to CSE/ECE after 1 year.it is easier to drop 1 year & get a good rank in next year JEE(mains) even after assuming same ridiculous normalisation process.between CSE & ECE i say drop ECE if you are not much comfortable with wave physics(core of wave communication involving wave modulation,amplitude etc) & maths(calculus,various series etc) as ECE has more of it compared to CSE.

OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
don't go for biotech & forget about changing branch from biotech to CSE/ECE after 1 year.it is easier to drop 1 year & get a good rank in next year JEE(mains) even after assuming same ridiculous normalisation process.between CSE & ECE i say drop ECE if you are not much comfortable with wave physics(core of wave communication involving wave modulation,amplitude etc) & maths(calculus,various series etc) as ECE has more of it compared to CSE.

I'm very much comfortable with Calculus,number series, etc in fact all of the maths portion that i had in my +2 along with extra topics which were a part of the jee main/advance syllabus.

I'm not sure if i'm much comfortable with waves, though, I do have my mind clear about all the topics relating to waves, still am unable to solve the sums correctly.

so, what should i take ?

ECE or CSE ?
suggest any other option too, if you think that its good for me. (yes, any whole new thing too.)
and really, thanks for replying.

and why did you say like that for biotech in NIT ? I mean, I agree with you, since you said that with experience, but just cant get the thought of NIT out of my head. hope you understand me. :(

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
bio tech is research driven field & as such its scope in India is limited unless it is done from an IIT.biotech even from NIT i think won't have much scope & to me it seems you will be better off in a maths based engg branch.if you are only after NIT degree then you can go for biotech but again you will have a hard time justifying yourself in interview for any non-biotech/software company.rest is upto you to decide but let me tell you that pvt sector jobs in software field are not so rosy & you will have to work hard 90% of the time.if you are aiming for govt jobs like SSC CGL then your engg institute won't matter.

OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
^^ I'm willing to work hard. if i get into some pvt sector job.
as long as its something related to Computers, Electronics, its awesome, for others, i'll try my best.
Biotechno idea dropped.
any idea about B. Planning in NIT Bhopal (its the only NIT offering Plannning.)
and also i can try to get textile in NIT Jalandhar (not sure). my big bro (cousin) is also a textile engg. (>20 yrs exp),

and is it really that tough to change stream after the end of 2nd sem ?
I am willing to work hard, if it is possible to change the stream after one year.

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
^^ I'm willing to work hard. if i get into some pvt sector job.
as long as its something related to Computers, Electronics, its awesome, for others, i'll try my best.
Biotechno idea dropped.
any idea about B. Planning in NIT Bhopal (its the only NIT offering Plannning.)
and also i can try to get textile in NIT Jalandhar (not sure). my big bro (cousin) is also a textile engg. (>20 yrs exp),

and is it really that tough to change stream after the end of 2nd sem ?
I am willing to work hard, if it is possible to change the stream after one year.

It's very hard but not impossible...
In my NIT, last year there were only 10 branch changes among 500+ students... So, you can get the idea how hard it is... That's like about 2% students got to change their branch... The total number of open seats was even less...
For eg, say, there's one seat open for branch change in mech... A student from ece takes that seat, his seat is in turn taken by someone from cs, whose seat is taken by someone from EIE... So, for one seat there was three branch changes... You get my drift!!! :)
About bio-tech, one of my family friends did it from IIT and he's still doing research in the US... Practically no jobs in that field as of now...

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Don't even think about changing branch in 2nd year. It's too too tough in NITs/IITs, and if you ever think you can do that much labour, you wouldn't have created this thread in first place, if you know what I mean.

Bio-tech has got no future if you plan to get job, only research prospect, that too very limited in India. I have a friend in this sector, and he does only one thing, regret.

Chuck planning, don't even think about it. I don't get one thing. How can one's option traverse from CS/ECE to biotech to planning to whatever. This shows you don't know what interests you and have the enthu to do. Just ask yourself, what exactly you want to do.

If you just want good salary, get CS and start studying. Period.

OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
Don't even think about changing branch in 2nd year. It's too too tough in NITs/IITs, and if you ever think you can do that much labour, you wouldn't have created this thread in first place, if you know what I mean.

Bio-tech has got no future if you plan to get job, only research prospect, that too very limited in India. I have a friend in this sector, and he does only one thing, regret.

Chuck planning, don't even think about it. I don't get one thing. How can one's option traverse from CS/ECE to biotech to planning to whatever. This shows you don't know what interests you and have the enthu to do. Just ask yourself, what exactly you want to do.

If you just want good salary, get CS and start studying. Period.

Yup, I know what you are trying to say.buddy. and I really acknowlegde it.
actually, in my home, I cant study well, you know things like, whenever i think like lets do something else for some time and then i'll start studying again, family thinks i'm not doing anything and tell me some other work that might be done. Not my family's fault though, i must have said the plan to them, but I always though "just one thing, lets do that and i'll study after that."
thats one of the reason that i want to get to a college which is far away from my home, so that I will have to go to hostel.
another reason : I can study well if nobody's staring at me while i'm studying.(hope you understand what i mean)

P.S. please dont regard the above matter like i hate my family or so. i love my family.

and I "chucked" from CSE/ECE to biotech to whatever only in the feel that i would be able to change my stream after one year. (dont take me wrong, I have my heart only for CSE and ECE. any other subject i'm saying is only as an option to get into the institute at first and change the stream after one year.)
I cant even think of making a career in biotechno or textile or whatever. NEVER .
dont think that i'm just for making money, of course, money is also important, but I want to know more about Electronics and I'll do my best to develop some good ones iff I get ECE.

It's very hard but not impossible...
In my NIT, last year there were only 10 branch changes among 500+ students... So, you can get the idea how hard it is... That's like about 2% students got to change their branch... The total number of open seats was even less...
For eg, say, there's one seat open for branch change in mech... A student from ece takes that seat, his seat is in turn taken by someone from cs, whose seat is taken by someone from EIE... So, for one seat there was three branch changes... You get my drift!!! :)
About bio-tech, one of my family friends did it from IIT and he's still doing research in the US... Practically no jobs in that field as of now...

I get the drift, powerhoney, and I have dropped every idea that related to changing stream after one year.
reasons: I can rely upon digitians (given they are senior than me), what if i'm unable to change my field ?

now, one more thing,[ If you guys feel it frustrates you, just tell me "No, you cant do that" or " It is very rare" ]

what about upgradation that happens before admission, I mean I had read in the csab brochure somewhere that we can change the stream at the time of admission , given that some seats in the branch one wants to get into are free.
please dont get frustrated.
if branch upgradation can happen before admission like that,I may try applying for more fields and hope to get Upgraded to ECE before admission. I wont take admission there if I am unable to get into ECE. CSE will also work.

and really, thanks for guiding.

Last edited:
OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
read the fine print.there is always a catch with things like branch change/scholarship/free hostel facilities etc.

oh.
so that means they are just mentioning it there to get more candidates ?

even if thats so,
its no harm . is it ?
I mean I will surrender the seat if they don't let me change it.
atleast it will give me one more chance.
yes i know what you are trying to say, that these are just tactics.

Q1 :
Like CCB-2012, there will be a “Spot Round” for admission after the two regular rounds of seat allocations are over and “Global Upgradation” is implemented. The primary difference between “Regular Rounds” and “Spot Round” is that in the latter a candidate pays the fees in advance and thereby agrees to accept the seat if allocated to him. There is no provision of “Money Back” if the candidate chooses not to accept the seat.
CANDIDATES ARE ADVISED TO CAREFULLY CHOOSE THEIR INSTITUTES AND BRANCHES, FOR THERE IS NO PROVISION OF MONEY BACK IF ONE CHOOSES NOT TO JOIN THE ALLOCATED INSTITUTE. BEFORE CLICKING YOUR CHOICE, MAKE SURE THAT YOU KNOW ENOUGH ABOUT ALL THE INSTITUTES AND THE BRANCHES YOU ARE CHOOSING.

is it applicable for 1st and 2nd rounds too ?

Q2 :
In case of Union Territories without any NIT (Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep and Kandvi, Daman and Diu, and Dadra and Nagar Haveli), the full Home State quota is made available at nearest NIT, i.e., NITs at Durgapur, Calicut, Surat and Surat respectively. These seats are supernumerary over and above the Home State quota of the respective NITs.

does this mean that they'll have more preference over Home State Quota ?

-----------
and is Amity better than Govt colleges taking admission through WBJEE like (Jalpaiguri Govt Engg College or Kalyani Govt Engg College)* ?
I am getting any branch of my choice in these* instiututes
also :
this was in the Amity website for B.Tech. - Electronics & Instrumentation

Eligibility : min 60% aggregate in class X & XII and PCM min 70% for Non-sponsored & 65% for sponsored Category
Duration : 4 Yr(s)
1st Year Non Sponsored Semester Fee (Rs. in Lacs) : 0.705
1st Year Sponsored Semester Fee (Rs. in Lacs) : 1.06

that low, I mean its like any Govt college. and Do they have hidden charges.?

Last edited:

mitraark

Decrepit
It's hard to tell accurately but that rank should be good enough to get into one of the lower NITs i suppose, which may be a better option than most (i said MOst) private colleges. Just my opinion.

Also, i know you snubbed me once for saying this, but please get some details about the branch Information Technology, it's similar to CS and those who don;t have good enough rank to get CS goes for IT.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
oh.
so that means they are just mentioning it there to get more candidates ?

Does it still needs to be told ?

even if thats so,
its no harm . is it ?

Seriously ?

I mean I will surrender the seat if they don't let me change it.
atleast it will give me one more chance.

Surrender ? Won't it lead to loss of one year ?

Q1 :

is it applicable for 1st and 2nd rounds too ?

For every round. I'm assuming you're asking about non-cancellation of seats allotted, not about refund of fees.

and is Amity better than Govt colleges taking admission through WBJEE like (Jalpaiguri Govt Engg College or Kalyani Govt Engg College)* ?

fcuk amity.

that low, I mean its like any Govt college. and Do they have hidden charges.?

Assuming the fees to be per sem (its confusing the way you've given), it's no way cheap. 70k per sem ? Give me a break.

OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
Does it still needs to be told ?

Seriously ?

Surrender ? Won't it lead to loss of one year ?

For every round. I'm assuming you're asking about non-cancellation of seats allotted, not about refund of fees.

fcuk amity.

Assuming the fees to be per sem (its confusing the way you've given), it's no way cheap. 70k per sem ? Give me a break.

fees are per year.
not semester,
still amity fuked. :)

surrender wont give me loss for one year as i have WBJEE as backup.

It's hard to tell accurately but that rank should be good enough to get into one of the lower NITs i suppose, which may be a better option than most (i said MOst) private colleges. Just my opinion.

Also, i know you snubbed me once for saying this, but please get some details about the branch Information Technology, it's similar to CS and those who don;t have good enough rank to get CS goes for IT.

I will try to get into any NIT as long as the field is Physics and maths related, i mean no chem (no biotech, no textile)
for bold : never ...
i mean i didn't ever remember that. and I try my best to never ignore anyone (specially senior members.) because, i know that leads to faulty personalities and bad impressions.

and if thats the case. i'm filling up IT too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom