Engineering Stream Related Queries

icebags

Technomancer
^set ur targets low, boi. it's not a single person's job to design a tab/computer by any means. all cs, ec. it ppl get to study computer achitecture, microcontroller/assembly level programming. thats all.

but if u study ec, u will sure be able to design a radio/ wireless system and may be a tv too, if u study seriously.

there r not many career opportunities with computer architecture designing in india. so, dont expect much when u graduate, unless u get lucky enough to get a good profiles core electronics/computer job.

mitraark

Decrepit
^set ur targets low, boi. it's not a single person's job to design a tab/computer by any means. all cs, ec. it ppl get to study computer achitecture, microcontroller/assembly level programming. thats all.

but if u study ec, u will sure be able to design a radio/ wireless system and may be a tv too, if u study seriously.

there r not many career opportunities with computer architecture designing in india. so, dont expect much when u graduate, unless u get lucky enough to get a good profiles core electronics/computer job.

Someone had to say it, thank you.

Very few people get to the point where you work on making a radical new algorithm or technology. THere are hundreds and thousands of graduates available for work, most of them are having the job of complying with company requirements, which is basically product manufacture ( yes even softwares are product ). An engineer is most probably going to work on a single module of a large product, an analogy of this kind of work is, if the car is the final product,you'll probably be working on just installing the tires.

Coming to Electronics, the number of available jobs are a fraction of that of the Computer industry. Architechture Designing isn't something that is in substantial demand, rather, given the abusrd amount of people who enroll in ECE streams of colleges to secure the option of having their feet in both Core and Non Core carrers, the competition becomes even tougher.

Just think about your immediate future for now, do well in college, you'll start realising what you want in due time.

OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
^^ thanks icebags and mitraark. really. very few people say the reality. I'm happy to know that some Digitians do :)
i was 99% unaware of the facts you guys mentioned.
I thought that they'll train for some time and then we can put forward our views and designs regarding new systems (phones and all ) (I know i was such a dumb fella, not now because now, i have the facts clear.)

then should i do Mechanical ?
everywhere on the internet forums , they say that ECE has got a lot less jobs than ME and both the branches are almost 90 % different.

I happen to be such a kind of "Stupid" fella who likes both (also CSE , I dumped it due to its on-off nature in job prospects and because when you guys suggested that ECE will be better for my interests)

just suggest me as if i'm your lil brother, i know i'm a noob, just tell me which one would you have chosen ?

one more thing, Please dont leave things just to ensure that I remain a little positive about the future.
tell me all the things exactly, however sour they are just like you did above.
Thanks again, need your help again.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Mech has for sure got less job prospects than ECE. If it isn't PSU, then you'll have a tough time finding a job. Take ECE, don't look further.

OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
Mech has for sure got less job prospects than ECE. If it isn't PSU, then you'll have a tough time finding a job. Take ECE, don't look further.

:shock:
guess what ?
the only person who says that among almost 5-6 forums is just you.
everyone else says that Mech has more jobs than ECE
just to make it sure that its not a typo ;)

hope i'm not sounding rude, because i'm actually :shock:

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
^I am saying what I am "watching". You're most wc to go ahead with mech but do post here your experience in 2017, if you find it worthy.

icebags

Technomancer
^sujay is right, EC has more job prospects than any other stream, i said the reason before, it's jack of all trades. All software companies hire EC students, so does electrical plants, communication industries, banks, psus and not to mention ec jobs.

ec is like more opportunity (job) with more supply (graduates).
mech is like low demand and low supply. (so it may seem there are less mechs without a job)

anyways, no one can guarantee anyone future, its ur luck, effort and marks.

to say honestly, there are many times more children graduate every year, than the amount of jobs created or people retire. wished people were mature enough to pull down birth rates. :D

Last edited:
OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
^sujay is right, EC has more job prospects than any other stream, i said the reason before, it's jack of all trades. All software companies hire EC students, so does electrical plants, communication industries, banks, psus and not to mention ec jobs.

ec is like more opportunity (job) with more supply (graduates).
mech is like low demand and low supply. (so it may seem there are less mechs without a job)

anyways, no one can guarantee anyone future, its ur luck, effort and marks.

dunno about the first one but will try my best to get the other two fine for me :)

will try my best.
and i'm taking ECE
final.
and as you guys suggest, if i work hard, I can get a decent job.
ECE finalised.

thanks for all the suggestions :)

icebags

Technomancer
keeping aside NIT, what else college options u get with ECE from WBJEE? If money is not the bar, i think private colleges have more facilities than JGEC .....

OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
i'have inquired, JGEC has good labs.
BTW, i'm going there tonight, will check myself.
and i have to fill up choices for 4th round on 30th, so I can change the institute.

other options include everything else than BESU and JU

icebags

Technomancer
wherever u go, good placement cell is the main concern - to get the opportunity to prove urself in front of interviewers. well, look into IEM saltlake too.

mitraark

Decrepit
JGEC is a good college, although i too would have suggested IEM over it. It's in Kolkata, students are quite active, placements are good.

ECE is the safest choice, it also requires the best rank to get in, so good for you.

Mech has lesser jobs than ECE, but if you manage to get one (CORE Mech job) it'll be a really decent one.

OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
forgot to ask, will u survive 4 years without those computer papers ? and whats ur hometown ?

sorry but couldn't get that, Please Eleborate if you can :)
my hometown (the grand dad's origin) = Sri Dungargadh.
the town which is now my home = Howrah (near Kolkata)

--------------------------
In the Jee main spot round, I've got Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering in NIT agartala.
I'm taking it (Will surely try my best to shift to a core field in the internal shifting and if that doesn't happen, will try in the 3rd sem).

Sorry, but I cannot change now, too much money blocked in that (and I think NIT agartala's better than JGEC.)
Thanks, that you guys have given so much of your time for my matters. really awesome experience talking with you guys :)
will require , may be more advice.

Last edited:
Top Bottom