Engineering Stream Related Queries

OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
NIT, Agartala is a relatively new NIT and i dont suppose it has its own campus(afaik)..
No Idea about Jalpaiguri College..
Dint you try for VIT, PEC, BIT???

read this :
NIT Agartala > Our Director
it has narly 500 acres campus and its since 1965. (all the NITs got their name after 2006 or 2007 Afaik )
you might have thought of other 4 NITs in that region, they all were established in 2010. (meghalaya, manipur, mizoram, nagaland)

I got Siliguri Institute of Technology(SIT) - Techno India Group,Siliguri, Darjeeling. Can any one tell me about the college is it good to study CSE their. Through WBJEE I got that in 2nd Round and in First round I got Birbhum Institute of Technology(BIET),Siuri. Is the later one is better than this BIET. I am a CBSE student from D.A.V. Waiting for Third Round.

I got Siliguri Institute of Technology(SIT) - Techno India Group,Siliguri, Darjeeling. Can any one tell me about the college is it good to study CSE their. Through WBJEE I got that in 2nd Round and in First round I got Birbhum Institute of Technology(BIET),Siuri. Is the later one is better than this BIET. I am a CBSE student from D.A.V. Waiting for Third Round.

OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent

Do wait for 3rd round and also try your hands in the 4th one, IMO.
BTW, whats your rank ?

Very bad rank 42915...
I questions regarding the 4th round counselling.
1. Do I need to register again for that.
2. College in 3rd round I had to forgot if I get college in this round.

ShankJ

Been There, Done That!!
read this :
NIT Agartala > Our Director
it has narly 500 acres campus and its since 1965. (all the NITs got their name after 2006 or 2007 Afaik )
you might have thought of other 4 NITs in that region, they all were established in 2010. (meghalaya, manipur, mizoram, nagaland)

Well, that list should have NIT, Delhi as well..it kinda works on some other NIT's campus, i guess NIT, Warangal..

icebags

Technomancer
i havnt ready all those posts above, but will just share my 2 cents - ECE is basically jack of all streams, master of electronics. u will get total opportunity of IT/CS (except may be some high class google jobs where computational statistics is the main thing), electronics jobs(not that there are many), communication jobs, as well as most electrical jobs.

about college selection, with ur wbjee rank u should get some good colleges, but check for placement statistics. techno india has good centralized placement cell for all the colleges under their group (NSEIT is good one). but try to stay in kolkata.

@icebags

Does in ECE the topics like Graphics Programming,System Programming,Java Programming, Compiler Design, Operating System, Cryptography, Artificial Intelligence, Parallel and Distributed Systems etc are taught. Those are my liking. I also like graphics design, programming and like to know the working of software, operatinG systems, compilers, languages, games, game engines etc too.

So, is ECE is good option for me over CSE.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
@icebags

Does in ECE the topics like Graphics Programming,System Programming,Java Programming, Compiler Design, Operating System, Cryptography, Artificial Intelligence, Parallel and Distributed Systems etc are taught. Those are my liking. I also like graphics design, programming and like to know the working of software, operatinG systems, compilers, languages, games, game engines etc too.

Graphics Programming,----NO
System Programming,-----NO
Java Programming, --------Very basic.you cant even make smaller applications I assume.
Compiler Design, ---------No. I have seen CSE students having this subject
Operating System, -------no
Cryptography, -----------dont know. :confused:
Artificial Intelligence,------:confused:
Parallel and Distributed Systems--:confused:
ECE deals with electronics and just touches computer and all. This is what I can tell regarding ece. if you like Graphics Programming,System Programming,Java Programming, Compiler Design, Operating System , you may better opt for CSE. This is my personal opinion.
you can get good knowledge in embedded programming greatly used in robotics if your college conducts better classes from external institutions and all.

Last edited:
Graphics Programming,----NO
System Programming,-----NO
Java Programming, --------Very basic.you cant even make smaller applications I assume.
Compiler Design, ---------No. I have seen CSE students having this subject
Operating System, -------no
Cryptography, -----------dont know. :confused:
Artificial Intelligence,------:confused:
Parallel and Distributed Systems--:confused:
ECE deals with electronics and just touches computer and all. This is what I can tell regarding ece. if you like Graphics Programming,System Programming,Java Programming, Compiler Design, Operating System , you may better opt for CSE. This is my personal opinion.
you can get good knowledge in embedded programming greatly used in robotics if your college conducts better classes from external institutions and all.

Look at the syllabus of WBUT and affiliated colleges to it. I mean to say Bengal engineering colleges. They have all above things I mentioned. Now look at the syllabus:
*www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&source=w...y4GYDw&usg=AFQjCNF4igviCDEcP6X0TnyAC7Ra9Fwfyg

icebags

Technomancer
@icebags

Graphics Programming---------------NO
System Programming ---------------NO
Java Programming-------------------NO
Compiler Design---------------------NO, its a hardcore CS subject
Operating System-------------------OPTIONAL/ELECTIVE depends on college and availibility
Cryptography-----------------------Detailed? NO-----but there was one OPTIONAL/ELECTIVE paper on network and cryptography covering basics to medium details
Artificial Intelligence----------------NO, but probably IT guys get one such paper, not sure
Parallel and Distributed Systems-----This is part of Operating System paper.

ECE basically learn only C and a bit of SQL if opted for OPTIONAL/ELECTIVE paper of DBMS.
But, if u are interested in java u can always take a course at any reputed computer language learning centre, its absolutely ur interest dependent.
If u want to learn System programming like shell scripting, unix etc, no big deal, they are not very tough, just post @ TDF programming section requesting guide, there are plenty many people will happy to help u. All you will need is will and a machine with linux OS.
Basically, online self study is better option to learn programming, than reading those big fat books, they are always full of useless pages.

Its best to learn java/c++/unix if u want an IT job. They always add advantages while looking for jobs as a fresher.

There is no gaming in ECE. Only CS/IT people get a paper which has game theory, fuzzy logic etc. The kind of gaming u are looking for is probably not even available with CS. If such paper exists, only IT guys will get that to be precise.

As an Engg student u will get lots of free time after exams and normally if its not close to exams, it remains moderately relaxing. So, how u are gonna utilize this is upto u.
(but there is not really any utilization of time occurs if u are in hostel :D )

Last edited:

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Look at the syllabus of WBUT and affiliated colleges to it. I mean to say Bengal engineering colleges. They have all above things I mentioned. Now look at the syllabus:
*www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&source=w...y4GYDw&usg=AFQjCNF4igviCDEcP6X0TnyAC7Ra9Fwfyg

It is CSE and not ECE. ECE does not deal with such subjects. If you have interest in those subjects , it is better to opt for CSE rather than ECE.

Why do you people talk without looking at the syllabus. And about CSE and IT they are all same only difference is that IT students has to 5 subject different from CSE students else everything is same. IT student needs to study some management stuff also. First look at syllabus friends and then post. Here is the ink:
B.Tech CSE syllabus:
*www.wbut.ac.in/syllabus/Computer_Science_&_Engineering_Syllabus.pdf
B.Tech IT syllabus:
*www.gcelt.gov.in/support/pdf/Information_Technology_Syllabus.pdf

Everything is same in them.

And about the courses I want they are all available in B.Tech CSE and some in B.Tech IT. If you don't believe look the links above. Sorry if I am rude.

Let's compare:
View attachment 11511

Source: Confirmed from students of B.Tech CSE and IT in 3rd and fourth year.

And about gaming etc. just introduction and more in M.Tech CSE and nothing in IT very minute introduction.
CSE and IT student can do diploma courses in parallel in game design etc.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Why do you people talk without looking at the syllabus. And about CSE and IT they are all same only difference is that IT students has to 5 subject different from CSE students else everything is same. IT student needs to study some management stuff also. First look at syllabus friends and then post. Here is the ink:
B.Tech CSE syllabus:
*www.wbut.ac.in/syllabus/Computer_Science_&_Engineering_Syllabus.pdf
B.Tech IT syllabus:
*www.gcelt.gov.in/support/pdf/Information_Technology_Syllabus.pdf

Everything is same in them.

And about the courses I want they are all available in B.Tech CSE and some in B.Tech IT. If you don't believe look the links above. Sorry if I am rude.

Let's compare:
View attachment 11511

Source: Confirmed from students of B.Tech CSE and IT in 3rd and fourth year.

And about gaming etc. just introduction and more in M.Tech CSE and nothing in IT very minute introduction.
CSE and IT student can do diploma courses in parallel in game design etc.

you asked whether subjects like Graphics Programming,System Programming,Java Programming, Compiler Design, Operating System, Cryptography, Artificial Intelligence, Parallel and Distributed Systems etc are taught in ECE or not. Definitely the answer is NO. That is what i said .

OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
new problem guys.
MEchanical v/s ECE for me ???
I mean my final aim is Either Robotics or <what they call the designing of Mobiles/Tablets, laptops, etc>

please help me decide.
i have got 4th round to chane my branch , currently i have ECE

thanks in advance.

@ ratnadeep007gamer : thanks for hijacking :)

OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
^^ Seeing your aim I'd suggest go for ECE.

for both the aims ?
I googled and found out many people say that ECE is one of the toughest and ME is much better in job prospects and blah. blah..
Is it really so ?
would a good Mobiles/Tablets, laptops mfd company hire a btech ?

can i design Mobiles/Tablets, laptops after doing Mechanical ?

BTW, what do you do ? (studies ? which course ?)

one more thing I would like to put forward about myself, that the different "How its made" ,"how do they do it" and <the show where two people check the different inventions by individual inventors and select which they consider good for industrial production of the invented machine> , etc shows on Disc Sci , other channels also gets the pulse racing in me.

I know its a lil bit late, but i still can get into either of Mech or ece in the 4th counselling. :|

Last edited:
Top Bottom