DSLR Dilemma......

OP
The Incinerator

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
One thing which I always forget to ask,what is the correct way of storing the lenses in particular,since fungus is one dreaded issue I want to avoid. I will always have one of the lenses lying as spare. Since lot of you have multiple lenses, how do you maintain them and avoid fungus.

sujoyp

Grand Master
I have failed in this storage....2 of my lens caught fungus out of 5...although its not that bad...but its sad

i would suggest you to use ur lens every week...if u dont use it just attach it to the lens and take some test shot in day time

other serious thing is u can have an air tight box and put a bulb inside to keep the gears in light and away from humidity.

or you can just buy a dry cab or digicab worth 8k and feel safe

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
I havent seen any fungus on my lenses. Under what circumstances it happened in sujoy's case ?

sujoyp

Grand Master
it happens if lens is kept in dark place for long...specially in humid places and sea shores areas....

both my lens with fungus are used ones...
the 50mm 1.8 already had fungus when I bought but it cost just 3k ...
The tamron 17-50 f2.8 my most used lens now caught focus coz i bought it in kolkata online and my friend kept it in his cubbord safly for two months ...and it caught fungus even before i touched it

remaining all my lenses are fine ...but as I said there is only two solutions...either use the dslr and all lenses frequently or get an air tight box, put silica pouch in it...just 3-4 is enough i guess, put a light bulb probably zero watt and fill it with ur gears...it will be safe.
else get a drycab cost around 8k and have peace of mind.

sujoyp

Grand Master
wait a minute...I will find the right suggestion from expert soo that u set all right....you know silica gel will suck the humidity soo much that the fluid in lens which helps rotate it will dry up and u will have to service them in that case too.

read these thread carefully -

1. *www.jjmehta.com/forum/index.php/topic,1339.0.html

2.*www.jjmehta.com/forum/index.php/topic,4320.0.html

3.*www.jjmehta.com/forum/index.php/topic,20900.msg215322.html#msg215322

OP
The Incinerator

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Hygrometer and Dehumidifier from Aliexpress,the airtight box from Metro Cash & Carry. The links are below. And it turned out to be cheaper better and latest over the ones available in ebay. You mostly get the blue gel silica on ebay but this dehumidifier has the latest and far far better orange silica gel minus the cobalt.

*www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/275551524.html

*www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=hygrometer&catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20131006223944

Last edited:
OP
The Incinerator

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
In Ebay you will find an Dehumidifier but that costs Rs 1300 and is White Silica Gel and is way old,the fit and finish is below average and coverage is also lesser over the one I got from Aliexpress.Its a reliable site and I have bought plenty of stuff from there.The dollar prices can be changed in to rupees just change it in the Tab.

OP
The Incinerator

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Delivery will take mostly 14 days and worst would be 21 days Max. I think its worth the wait atleast for the Dehumidifier.

sujoyp

Grand Master
okk thanks will check...I am planning to get some big gears next month...I have to arrange for storage..

btw strangely all my used lens caught fungus but new ones are fine...is it coincidence of I got bad gear ...they work fine

OP
The Incinerator

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Maybe its because of the leak in between the camera body and the lens. They say its the main culprit over stored lenses. If you are planning big, better get a Dry Cab from Benro or this one Buy Ailite Dry Box For Digital Camera Alt-11 Gadgets.in|Online Shop India

My solution of a Dehumidifier with a silicone sealed airtight box with Hygrometer is DIY of Ailite basically minus the awesome Vacuum pump it has got. Great price too.

Top Bottom