Do people still use fountain pens?

My (current) hero pens collection. The black one is a Hero 329 while the rest are Hero 332 models.

*www.imgx.org/thumbs/small/43939_uii8q/Image0079.jpg

329 costs Rs. 40 or 45 in the market today, while 332 (recommend for all) costs Rs. 25 in market.

I also had a 343 which I gave to my sister, 2 more 343s which I lost, a 333 which belonged to my grandfather (who used it in college) but I lost, and several more random models.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Instead of Hero try Parker Vector fountain pen. It's much more smooth. Parker Vector does not come with a filler, so I used to fill the cartridges with a syringe and reuse them :p

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
@MHG-What's the difference between those models?? I've used a Hero pen for a long time, but never found out the difference.

@Nucleus-Parker pens are known for it's smoothness...... and thick lines while writing. Never took a liking for it :D

max_demon

IM AS MAD AS HELL!!
i LOVE to write with fountain pen , i liked it but nowdays just useing dot/ball pens (temperory ones)

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
I last used once 5-6 years ago. Now I'm mostly on Cello Sapphire. Been using it for around 2 years now, it has become my prime & numero uno pen. Have 3 of them. :D

rsk11584

Journeyman
Do people still use fountain pens - part II

PART - I got closed long time back... hence could not post my reply there ;(

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/community-discussions/120197-do-people-still-use-fountain-pens.html

Right from childhood i had craze for ink pens as opposed to other peoples views I used to love ink pens and knew the nack of modifying nib to make thick dark lines ;) just bend it a little towards forward carefully and adjust the gap between the nib. In school we had ink pens compulsary and i had many pens :cry::cry: which i cherished most i loved were local pens having amazing designs and the transparent body pens or colored transparent body pens (with chamki design) so you can see the ink level, i didnt like Hero pens because they came with ink dropper attached and used to hold very less ink, so frequent refilling required, preferred to use the normal ink pen which holds ink in its body..

Now after 10 std i literally stopped using ink pens, started using ball pens, gel pens etc,and this computer is worst, it makes handwriting really bad ;( because you use computer only and rarely use pens for anything apart from signing , so further handwriting is spoiled

now im working in accounts and write cheques, sign documents etc, and i am very bad in maintaining ball pens and in office anyone comes takes pen and forgets to give it in this way i must have lost about 100 s of pens, and in officethey dont even give a decent good gel pen continuous supply to write , govt office :evil::evil: stores person always gives the 5 rs ball pen cello, which is not good for writing cheques, signing . so i personally used reynolds gifted by my uncle, but its cartridge was costly so yesterday only went to market and bought camlin ink pen (which has transparent part to view ink level) my fav ,, with ink bottle so that my handwriting sign is good and its also cheap and best ;)

rsk11584

Journeyman
Thanks for opening the closed thread, guess old threads should not be closed, dont know when someone might bump into them and reply :)

abhidev

Human Spambot
Had stopped using them since engg as now there is not much writing to do....used it a lot for faster writing and for a good handwriting as mine is worst...my relatives say my handwriting looks like chicken feet :lol:

ssb1551

Technomancer
I like the topic. I had stopped using fountain pens after my 12th. And you won't believe I had this sudden urge of using fountain pens a couple of weeks back when I was supposed to take down some notes on ABAP training.
Even I have used Hero pens but I never liked the ones where you fill the ink in the cylinder & thread it to the part containing the nib. After some days the threading used to wear out & ink used to flow out causing all sorta mess.
But since my recently awakened interest I have bought 4 fountain pens - 1 Reynolds run of the mill fountain pen, 1 Parker Fountain Pen with a Broad nib, 1 Parker Beta with a fine nib & ,my favorite 'cause of its smoothness, 1 Pierre Cardin MASTERPIECE Fountain Pen with a BB nib.
The reason I like Pierre Cardin's Masterpiece so much is 'cause its extremely smooth on all kinda paper whereas with Parker I need good quality papers to feel the smoothness and sometimes apply some pressure while writing otherwise some letters will be there & others gone.The only reason why I don't use Masterpiece all the time is 'cause of its BB nib. Wish I could find a fine nib for Masterpiece but manufactured by Pierre Cardin not by some other manufacturer. Only Pierre Cardin make extremely smooth nibs within budget.
Now I wanna get my hands on a Lammy!!

Sarath

iDota
LOL...yes. I still have an ink bottle on my table. I used it for college too but the ink got over and I decided to stick to ball pens. I use them for diary entries and other important stuff.

Used fountain pens all my school life. I never used a ball pen until I reached 11th.

Side effect was awesome handwriting and "many advantages" I don't want to get into now. :D

lm2k

Journeyman
I still use specially during my termwork file submission, I hav one reynolds ink pen with a #2 calligraphy nib fixed that really makes my ugly handwriting look great along with the cloister black letter for headings and this really makes my file look different frm others, teacher happy=gud marks!
And yes one hero and one really old(say 6yrs old) parker beta that my dad gave me as gift. I use them to get gud handwriting.

Last edited:

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I used them from 4th class to 10th, made compulsory by school. When any body used ball pens, they were snatched "permanently" :evil: But i really miss the "ink" sharing part, and cutting the nibs with blades often to make the writing smooth. The good old chelpark ink + Flora nibs/ chinese pens rocked ;) I really wonder, if our children will ask as "papa ye kya hai? " :))

reniarahim1

Youngling
pens!!! wat is that? wat are they used for? :)
hardly writes anything these days..in office using pencils if necessary...
yaa...fountain pens...use to own couple of them during school days (from4th to 8th standard or something i guess)

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
Used in school days when they were mandatory. Handwriting was great. Remember ruining one of my fond hero pens with stamp pad ink so that I could write violet :D
Used to keep a collection of new nibs and their holders in an empty matchstick box...

Top Bottom