DELL XPS 15 L502X vs HP DV6-6121TX !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

red dragon

Master troll
thanks bro..m going wid xps.. hp not much reliable

Wise decision indeed!HP`s service is pathetic in Eastern India.
Has anyone seen a person buying a second dv6 laptop after the first one ran its course?
I have seen two young guys in my office(who are still into gaming)who have bought the new xps to replace the older (original) one.

OP
K

kausarayub

Broken In
Wise decision indeed!HP`s service is pathetic in Eastern India.
Has anyone seen a person buying a second dv6 laptop after the first one ran its course?
I have seen two young guys in my office(who are still into gaming)who have bought the new xps to replace the older (original) one.

thanks bro :)

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
Can't really fin any benchmarks.
RPM refers to how many times the spindle makes a complete 360º turn in any single minute.
The higher the RPM, the faster the data can be read from the platters, which increases overall performance.

But you also need to keep in mind the density of the platters.
This means that when a 1TB disk makes one revolution (in 1/5400th of a minute), it’s picking up much more data from the platter than, say, an 80GB disk spinning at 7200RPM is after a single revolution in 1/7200th of a minute.

Relating to the drives I linked,
1TB 5400rpm drive has a 500GB platter. 500GB 7200rpm drive has a 250GB platter.
7200rpm is spinning 33% faster but 5400rpm drive is picking up 100% more data.
This make the 5400rpm drive a bit faster for copying/moving large amount of data (Above a few MBs). Esp when defragmented.

A fragmented 7200rpm might perform faster than a fragmented 5400rpm drive. Not sure.

Outer Tracks/5400 > Outer tracks/7200rpm > Inner tracks/7200 > Inner tracks/5400
Inner tracks are 40% slower than outer tracks.
*www.notebookcheck.net/typo3temp/pics/f7a63648ba.jpg
Samsung is the 5400rpm drive (500GB, 3 platters = 166GB per platter)
Toshiba is the 7200rpm drive (320GB 2 platters = 160GB per platter)
Density is same, 7200rpm spins 33% faster. Benchmark shows 7200rpm version to be 25% faster.

ss max

Broken In
I have seen the only point (main reason) due to which HP laptops are behind is mainly the service but as i have observed there are little chances for a situation to arrive where we need those sevices . Many of my freinds possess a laptop from HP and they never needed to call for service .
As far as the dell laptops are concerned their services are the best but still the question stands out should we not go for HP laptops as they do not have good services? :???:

Last edited:

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
If you have any problem, you can to this forum. Someone will surely help you out.
No need to contact CC.

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
@ ISHU

check this out::

Top 10 Multimedia Laptops - Notebookcheck.net Reviews
Review Dell XPS 15 Notebook (i5-2410M & GT 540M) - Notebookcheck.net Reviews

xps with i5 is in their top 10 list.. :)

which laptop u r using currently????????????
I found a reason why HP DV6 isn't there,
Top10 said:
Top 10 list of all recently (in the last 6 months) reviewed Multimedia laptops.
Notebook check hasn't reviewed a HP DV6 (Atleast not with a 6770M). All reviews are external
AMD Radeon HD 6770M - Notebookcheck.net Tech

aniket.cain

Padawan
The Question is

When you buy a product for 50K you need good service . Not everyday you buy a product of 50K !

It is not everyday that you need support from the service center. You are paying much more for a somewhat lesser performing system. It is not that HP is not providing any service at all.
And here are a couple of links you'd like to see:

Link 1

Link 2

Nobody is forcing anyone to choose HP over Dell. But in this case, you are sacrificing a much better GPU, a better screen, and you are paying much more only for a better service which will come handy only once in a while.

Last edited:
OP
K

kausarayub

Broken In
The Question is

When you buy a product for 50K you need good service . Not everyday you buy a product of 50K !

yes very true bro!
the product shud b such that it even doesnt need any service:razz:

I found a reason why HP DV6 isn't there,

Notebook check hasn't reviewed a HP DV6 (Atleast not with a 6770M). All reviews are external
AMD Radeon HD 6770M - Notebookcheck.net Tech

yaaaaaaa thats a pretty old review..

check this out
The 10 Best Notebooks | Top 10 Laptops Right Now

It is not everyday that you need support from the service center. You are paying much more for a somewhat lesser performing system. It is not that HP is not providing any service at all.

Link 1

Link 2

Nobody is forcing anyone to choose HP over Dell. But in this case, you are sacrificing a much better GPU, a better screen, and you are paying much more only for a better service which will come handy only once in a while.

hp is better deal..5000 cheaper..bt only thing i need is that after buying any dell or hp..it should not put me in any trouble like those mentioned here
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/laptops-netbooks-tablets/143982-problems-hp-dv6-6121-a.html

Link 1

Link 2

all i need is a reliable notebook..around 60k..which should play all games coming in the next two years atleast with medium settings..
without any hardware problems..

red dragon

Master troll
I have seen the only point (mhe ain reason) due to which HP laptops are behind is mainly the service but as i have observed there are little chances for a situation to arrive where we need those sevices . Many of my freinds possess a laptop from HP and they never needed to call for service .
As far as the dell laptops are concerned their services are the best but still the question stands out should we not go for HP laptops as they do not have good services? :???:
How long have you been using laptops dude!
Your friends are the luckiest bunch of people I have ever heard of.
Do you have any idea how much even a inspection costs when you are out of your 1 year warranty?Do you know a logic board and lcd can cost you more than the laptop itself?
BTW,try to extend the warranty of DV6 series directly from HP and see what happens?
Don`t trust me,read on...laptop-reliability-1109 | SquareTrade Warranties

aniket.cain

Padawan
It has been told numerous times that the problems mentioned before in the forum with 6121TX have been fixed with a BIOS update.
As you have mentioned, you need a notebook for gaming, and it has been established that 6121TX is better in that regard and is more future-proof than the XPS.
If you are so hell bent on getting the Dell, then there is no point discussing which is a better performer.

pratik385

In the zone
Hows the sony CB series, its having same config, i5,4gb,500gb,hd6630,1080p at 55K.
Tell me about its GPU, is it better than gt540?
And what about Display, is it better than dell's 1080p r+gb?
Battery backup is more?

What are advantage and disadvantage over Dell xps?

red dragon

Master troll
all i need is a reliable notebook..around 60k..which should play all games coming in the next two years atleast with medium settings..
without any hardware problems..

Sorry to say it,but nothing like that exists!There are bound to be trouble with gaming laptops.
The max you can do is,buy a laptop which gives you complete cover for at least 3 years.
After one and half year it may not be possible to play all the latest games in their full glory,but still you will have a stable machine which can get all the basics done for you.
I myself have quit gaming in laptops 1.5 years ago(burnt a lot of money over a crappy dv6 and even a crappier cooler)
Oh,and the" problem solved "thing with a bios update from HP is going on for a very long time now(dv6000 or so)every time HP release a new gen of dv6 and problems start to surface,they make up some temporary solutions with bios/driver update.Agreed it has happened even to Apple or Dell also but with HP these are very frequent and mostly temporary fix(probably this is why they are so reluctant to extend warranty for the dv6 series,I am not fully aware of the latest situation in 2011 though,at least till April there was no direct warranty extension from HP for the dv6s)

Last edited:
OP
K

kausarayub

Broken In
It has been told numerous times that the problems mentioned before in the forum with 6121TX have been fixed with a BIOS update.
As you have mentioned, you need a notebook for gaming, and it has been established that 6121TX is better in that regard and is more future-proof than the XPS.
If you are so hell bent on getting the Dell, then there is no point discussing which is a better performer.

dnt be so angry dude..m not telling dv6 is bad..

its jst bcoz m getting bttr speakers..backlit keyboard..:p
can u tell me how can i install a 7200rpm in dv6???????????????????????????????

Hows the sony CB series, its having same config, i5,4gb,500gb,hd6630,1080p at 55K.
Battery backup is more?

in simple words..sony's cb series looks ugly..:p
i hvnt seen any ugly machine than that..

u jst getting full hd..

my little bro luvs those colors

Last edited:

aniket.cain

Padawan
dnt be so angry dude..m not telling dv6 is bad..

its jst bcoz m getting bttr speakers..backlit keyboard..:p
can u tell me how can i install a 7200rpm in dv6???????????????????????????????

Hey, I was not angry. Sorry if my words seemed harsh. :D
To change your HDD, remove the back panel from the laptop (the back panel is screwless), remove the hdd, and insert the new one. After replacing the padding etc, of course.

Battery backup is more?

The Sony really is ugly. like.no.other. :p
The only advantage it has is the FullHD screen as it is very rare in the Indian market at this price point.

OP
K

kausarayub

Broken In
Sorry to say it,but nothing like that exists!There are bound to be trouble with gaming laptops.
The max you can do is,buy a laptop which gives you complete cover for at least 3 years.
After one and half year it may not be possible to play all the latest games in their full glory,but still you will have a stable machine which can get all the basics done for you.
I myself have quit gaming in laptops 1.5 years ago(burnt a lot of money over a crappy dv6 and even a crappier cooler)

hmmmm my 1st year of btech is over..
jst need it for 3 yrs..

vl take care of it like my baby..:razz:

Hey, I was not angry. Sorry if my words seemed harsh. :D
To change your HDD, remove the back panel from the laptop (the back panel is screwless), remove the hdd, and insert the new one. After replacing the padding etc, of course.

vl that b safe :)
i hvnt opened any laptop..
few fones though :razz:

or an external hdd will work ????????????

aniket.cain

Padawan
hmmmm my 1st year of btech is over..
jst need it for 3 yrs..

vl take care of it like my baby..:razz:

If you want a really reliable laptop, then get a Thinkpad. I got an IBM ThinkPad R60 from my college when I joined it in 2006. It had 3 years complete cover. But I never needed that. The only problem I faced was the left hinge which broke when it fell down a full flight of stairs. That too got replaced in 5 days. Never ever it gave me a hardware problem. And trust me, even the battery was giving me around 30 mins of backup when I sold it last month. A full 5 years with heavy use, it served me on countless hours of CS and DoTA, and terabytes of download. I could go on and on about the legend it has become. :)

vl that b safe :)
i hvnt opened any laptop..
few fones though :razz:

or an external hdd will work ????????????

It is very easy to change the RAM, HDD or Network adapter. It is just behind a screwless back panel, and there are no 'Warranty Void if Broken' seals on it. I guess it is pretty safe. If you just want storage, you can get an external drive. A 1TB USB 3.0 portable drive can be had from Letsbuy for 4k only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom