750gb hdd
backlit keyboard

hp dv6-6121tx
i7-2630-qm
4gb ram
2gb ati 6770m
640gb hdd

price difference is 4-5k INR.

WHICH GFX WILL GIVE ME BETTER GAMING..WITH LESS HEAT AND GOOD BACKUP ??
WHICH OF THE TWO COMPANY WILL GIVE ME BETTER SERVICE ??

OP
K

kausarayub

Broken In
m going with dell bro !!

i have heard ati having much heating issue..

also m not much interested in hp..i dont trust hp

bcoz my frnds 1year old hp dv6 with ati is unable to play crysis II

OP
K

kausarayub

Broken In

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
HP is 50% better at gaming.
Ati doesn't has any heating issues. Actually Nvidia had heating issues in its previous series of graphic cards.

This HP can easily play almost all games on high settings.

aniket.cain

Padawan

That would depend on the GPU that model has got. Not all DV6s are created equal. And if you hate HP so much, then why are even thinking of it.

Also, if possible get the FullHD screen for your Dell, because it is truly amazing. If you are getting the normal screen, then let me tell you, HP screen is better than the standard Dell XPS 15 screen. My friend just bought one, and after keeping both of them side by side, we agreed that the HP screen has slightly better colors.

HP is 50% better at gaming.
Ati doesn't has any heating issues. Actually Nvidia had heating issues in its previous series of graphic cards.

This HP can easily play almost all games on high settings.

I don't think 6770M is 50% faster than 540M, at least from what I saw on notebookcheck.net. In most cases, ATI takes the lead, but in a rare few, Nvidia is better. But overall, ATI 6770M is still better than Nvidia 540M any day.
As of now, there is no game that I can't play after maxxing out everything.

About the heating issues, My laptop is not heating that much. Earlier I used to keep it on my bed and play games, and it got quite hot. But now-a-days it is running much cooler. Even after overclocking from default 725/800 to 850/950, it never heated up that much to get me concerned even a little bit. I am running it on high performance Graphics all the time without problems, and my laptop runs for around 14 hours minimum everyday.

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
Also, if possible get the FullHD screen for your Dell, because it is truly amazing. If you are getting the normal screen, then let me tell you, HP screen is better than the standard Dell XPS 15 screen. My friend just bought one, and after keeping both of them side by side, we agreed that the HP screen has slightly better colors.

+ 1. You SHOULD to get FHD with Dell.

I don't think 6770M is 50% faster than 540M

NVIDIA GT 540m (2gb) vs AMD Radeon HD 6770M
#2 said:
The 6770M is 40 to 50 percent faster.

There's no comparison.
#8 said:
AMD 6770m smokes the gt540m. The gt555m even looses to it, very slightly though.
555m = 6770M IMO
#12 said:
If you're buying the XPS 15, you must get the 1920x1080 display upgrade. Do not buy that laptop with the standard 1366x768 screen, since the particular B156XW01 LCD panel they use for the 1366x768 is one of the worst 15-incher screens currently available, while the particular B156HW01-V7 panel they use for the 1920x1080 is the absolute best you can get on a laptop in this class and price range. The XPS 15 is not worth considering unless you get the screen upgrade.

Dell XPS15 (i7+540M) vs HP DV6 (i7+6770M)
#3 said:
Don't buy the XPS 15 with the 1366x768 screen. It's a very bad quality LCD panel. If you're looking into getting a 1366x768 screen, look into other laptops.

The stock screen is a very bad quality display, but the upgraded screen is the best 15.6" screen in the sub-$1500 price range. In fact, gaming in non-native resolution (1366x768) on the 1920x1080 display will still look significantly better than gaming in native resolution on the 1366x768 display due to the sheer differences in quality. You've got to forget the processor, the graphics card, and the RAM; if your screen sucks, it all sucks.

[QUOTE#6]If you cant get the Dell with the screen upgrade then get the HP undoubtedly, the HP dv6t has no serious overheating problems like some of HPs older models and it would really be a waste getting that Dell with a 720p screen. The HP is better in all ways. This is the newer gen 6000 series model and there have been no overheating problems, here is the owners lounge and no one as complained about it overheating[/QUOTE]

aniket.cain

Padawan
^^ About the 6770M vs 540M, these are general assumptions by the users. Here you will find the list of some popular games and the fps at which they run on both the cards. If you compare here, you wont find 6770M 50% faster:

LINK

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
On the graphically intensive games (High settings),
Game|6770M|540M|Diff
Crysis 2|41(Smooth)|27(Playable)|51%
Metro 2033|23(Playable)|17(Unplayable)|35%
BF:BC2|44(Smooth)|31(Smooth)|41%
Rest of the games(which have benches for both cards) play perfectly on both cards so no point comparing them.
Future games will run better on 6770M.

Last edited:
OP
K

kausarayub

Broken In
thanks frnds..

now m gaining interest in hp

bcoz hp 4k cheaper in my city than xps at dell's exclusive store at kolkata

i also searched a lot n came to know know that 6770m is bettr than 540m:-o

bt the problem now is that hp has 5400rpm hdd..i read that it has a max data transfer speed of 54megabytes/secs.. even my little bro's pc at home with 500gb 7200rpm hdd does file transfer from one drive to other at a speed of 60-70mbps.. xps has 7200rpm hdd..will that be enough with hp or it vl trouble me????:-|

also i vl miss the backlit keyboards:sad::-(

what about Beats Audio? can it b compared with the JBL speakers?:idea:

please help me..i need ur help frndz

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
bt the problem now is that hp has 5400rpm hdd..i read that it has a max data transfer speed of 54megabytes/secs.. even my little bro's pc at home with 500gb 7200rpm hdd does file transfer from one drive to other at a speed of 60-70mbps.. xps has 7200rpm hdd..will that be enough with hp or it vl trouble me????:-|
Yes the 5400rpm drives would be slower. But they are not that slow.
When I bought my laptop, I moved all of my data from my PC to the Laptop and I got a ~65mbps transfer speed. 160GB 5400rpm drive. A larger 5400rpm drive (640GB in your case) would be faster than that.

And if you find it slow, you can buy a 500GB 7200rpm drive for 2.5k

what about Beats Audio? can it b compared with the JBL speakers?:idea:
please help me..i need ur help frndz

Laptops generally have very bad speakers. You are better of investing in decent quality headphones.
Dell has better speakers than HP though.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Go for smoother 7200rpm hdd if you have plan to use your laptop for gaming, as using 5400rpm hdd consistently while gaming with fragmentation will shorten the lifespan of it.

aniket.cain

Padawan
On the graphically intensive games (High settings),
Game|6770M|540M|Diff
Crysis 2|41(Smooth)|27(Playable)|51%
Metro 2033|23(Playable)|17(Unplayable)|35%
BF:BC2|44(Smooth)|31(Smooth)|41%
Rest of the games(which have benches for both cards) play perfectly on both cards so no point comparing them.
Future games will run better on 6770M.

I agree with you now... :smile:

ss max

Broken In
There are many people on net complaining about the heating issues in HP but i believe it is not the case always but to be on safer side i will also buy a cooling pad which one should i prefer (also tell the price) .

I wanted to increase the capacity of ram to 8gb in HP at the time of purchase and also want to change the hard drive to 7200rpm one , which one should i go for????

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
Cooling pads cost around 2k. They can bring down your temp by 10C at load.

I would recommend you make one on your own (DIY). I did and it brings down my temp by 20C and it only cost me Rs 0. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom