CPU/Chipset News

Krow

Crowman
Oh great thanks! Btw, was the Istanbul/Opteron a success? Have server based CPU's had a history of porting to desktop? Has this porting been successful?

Krow

Crowman
I do, but I was looking for some details as I am only now paying attention to CPU architecture and server CPU's being ported. :)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
More on AMD Thuban CPU :p

AMD has confirmed that the company will soon launch six-core 45nm consumer level processors.

IDF kicks off today and while Intel is was busy getting ready for the party, AMD has stepped in and snatched just a smidgen of the limelight by announcing that it is readying a hexa-core processor aimed at consumer desktops.

The chip, codenamed Thubon, is set for release sometime next year and according to Maximum PC, it will be backwards compatible with existing AM3 and AM2+ motherboards. Maximum PC cites AMD officials who Monday said that the heavily rumored Thurbon was "a done deal."

Thurbon will feature all six cores on a single 45nm die, feature an integrated DDR3 controller and is expected to have 3MB of L2 and 6MB of L3 cache. No word on branding or clock speeds as of yet but MPC reports the Phenom II X6 as a possible label.

All together now, ooooh!

*www.tomshardware.com/news/AMD-six-core-thuban-45nm,8708.html

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Intel announces quad-core Core i7 Extreme and Core i7 for laptops

i7-820QM:

Intel Smart Cache: 8MB
Base frequency: 1.73 GHz
Turbo upto: 3.06GHz
TDP: 45W
HT enabled
DDR3 1333MHz max

i7-720QM

Intel Smart Cache: 6MB
Base frequency: 1.6 GHz
Turbo upto: 2.8GHz
TDP: 45W
HT enabled
DDR3 1333MHz max

Core i7 920XM extreme:

Intel Smart Cache: 8MB
Base frequency: 2 GHz
Turbo upto: 3.20GHz
TDP: 55W
HT enabled
DDR3 1333MHz max
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
And guess what, they are as powerful as their desktop core i5, core i7 and Phenom II X4 counterparts.

Finally, laptops get the power with which they can compete with desktops!!!

Last edited:

amitash

Intel OCer
^ :O as powerfull as the desktop versions?...at 45W TDP!!? now thats something...bye bye amd in the laptop segment..as if they werent dead there anyway.

The chip, codenamed Thubon, is set for release sometime next year

At jan-feb next year, intels releasing 6 core, 12 thread 32nm westmere...rumurs are that its called the core i9 and its confirmed to be backward compatible with lga1366..and its HT so u get 12 cores..and since its 32nm, better power consumption and probably better perf...

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^They are going to release only one Core i9 processor in Feb and that is Extreme edition with price tag of 999$. :)

^ :O as powerfull as the desktop versions?...at 45W TDP!!? now thats something...bye bye amd in the laptop segment..as if they werent dead there anyway.

At jan-feb next year, intels releasing 6 core, 12 thread 32nm westmere...rumurs are that its called the core i9 and its confirmed to be backward compatible with lga1366..and its HT so u get 12 cores..and since its 32nm, better power consumption and probably better perf...
AMD could respond with optimized Athlon II X4 CPUs. They already touch 45W for desktops, and some optimization can result in serious AMD laptop CPUs at the same power consumption and remember, lacking L3 cache these will be definitely cheaper to manufacture and are already cheap.

I personally would be only too happy to buy a 35W (std laptop dual core CPU voltage) 2GHz Athlon II X4 CPU based laptop if it came under 35K, which is the expected price for such a laptop.

All they need to do is add ability to indivudually downclock or shut down cores and we have an aggressive way to save even more power. a 2GHz single A2 core would hardly use any power on idle.

OP
comp@ddict

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Waiting for AMD to release new stepping on Phenom II processors...

Waiting for a 3GHz Athlon IIX4 for 99$

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
NVIDIA Halts Development of Core i5 & Core i7 Chipsets

There was a time when for the Intel platform, you could choose between motherboards based on chipsets from four or more vendors. With the weakening and discontinuation of chipset development for the Intel platform from the likes of VIA, and SiS, and NVIDIA facing a technical and legal blockade with further development of Intel chipsets with the latest Intel processors having integrated memory controllers and the Quickpath Interconnect system interface, consumer choice is reduced to platform core logic coming only from Intel, while motherboard vendors are able to use additives such as the NVIDIA nForce 200 PCI-Express bridge chip, or even the latest LucidLogix Hydra controller, among additional SATA, SAS and Ethernet controllers, to enhance the motherboards' feature-set beyond what the chipset can provide.

Read On

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
^^that is some what good for Intel platform users, most of the chipsets from Nvidia for the past few years for Intel was very tad low in performance and features.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ That's partially true. As far as I know only earlier batches of those procs can be unlocked.

I don't think there will be a unlockable sempron X2
Posted again:
Athlon II X3's are coming for 61$ and 69$...that's about 3-4k OMG!!!!!!!

Great! But I think they will be priced a little higher in here say Rs. 500 more but still it's dirt cheap when you can grab a 3 core proc between 3-4K.

AMD is going to storm the budget cpu segment more for sure untill intel pops out their core i3's :p

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
AMD Releases Eight New Athlon II CPUs

Athlon II X4 605e
speed: 2.3 GHz
power: 45 watts
price: $143

Athlon II X4 600e

power:45 watts
price: $133

Athlon II X3 435
speed: 2.9 GHz
power: 95 watts
price: $187

Athlon II X3 425
speed: 2.7 GHz
power: 95 watts
price: $76

Athlon II X3 405e
price: $102

Athlon II X3 400e
speed: 2.2 GHz
price: $97

Athlon II X2 240e
speed: 2.8 GHz
price: $77

Athlon II X2 235e
speed: 2.7 GHz
price: $69

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ Thanks for informing. But just wondering why they had to crank up the wattage of 435 and 425 where you can get quads of 45w ( athlon II X4 600e ) and 95w phenom II quad cores ?

Though I think they will OC like just as a wonder ride :p

Just got a review : That 435 is ruiing at 3.77Ghz :p
*www.tomshardware.com/reviews/athlon-ii-x3,2452.html

Last edited:
Top Bottom