CPU/Chipset News

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Intel Pentium Dual Core E6700 ready

Intel has yet another high-value dual-core processor in the making, this one probably specific to the Chinese market again (following Pentium E6500K). While the new Pentium Dual Core E6700 does not come with an unlocked bus multiplier, it does come with its bus multiplier two notches higher, at 13.0x. With its bus speed of 266 MHz, it manages a stock clock speed of 3.46 GHz. Based on the 45 nm Wolfdale-2M core, the chip has an L2 cache of 2 MB and FSB of 1066 MHz. Coolaler used an engineering sample achieve an overclocking feat of 5.93 GHz (456.4 MHz x 13 @ 2.016 V) on a fairly mainstream Gigabyte GA-EP45 UD3L motherboard with 4.00 GB DDR2 memory (validation here). There is no information on its availability or pricing. Details on the various tests performed on the chip can be viewed at the Coolaler thread linked below.

Source: Engadget.

Thanks for the info :p

BTW, I think even E6500K is not selling in here - so leave alone E6700 :p

Untill then AMD Phenom II and Athlon II series procs FTW! :p

Athlon II X4 is now the peoples processor...w00t for 5.5k, nothing else comes close to it....
And DirectX 11, OpenCL, OpenGL 3.2, etc come with multicore optimizations. So Quad Core will become essential for gamers in the next one year. Then all those with E8600 will be crying due to lack of FPS :D

Krow

Crowman
^Coming soon. Westmere = 32nm, while today we see 45nm proccys. Al' those procys will be here in the next 1-3 years. Also, the AMD Bulldozer TWELVE core CPU will arrive by then. Also, just FYI, your Q6600 is 65nm. 32nm = coolest, while 65 nm = hottest

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^dude. that is a good processor that you have. And I have 7750BE. had a waited two weeks, I would've got Phenom II X2 :)

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Yup.. processor hira hai hira :D... it rocks when encoding videos.. a standard 1.5 hr movie to iPod Touch in just 15 mins... but i think that an extra core would've seriously helped.. does that processor.. i mean Athlon II X4 has SSE4.a??

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ Yup. It has SSE4A

*media.bestofmicro.com/X4-620,A-G-223288-3.png

BTW, why did not you bought Phenom II X4 810 instead of Phenom II 720.

CUz 720 is atually better, and unlocks to a quad core anywayz....at 2.8GHz that too...
Yeah, 720BE was a good buy. Only thing which was comparable to it or was a better buy was Phenom II X2 550 since it could unlock to give double number of cores. But then you had no guarentee that both cores were fully functional. All CPUs with ONE faulty core became 720BE, and it also had the CPUs with BOTH cores intact but released due to market demand. 550BE had a very tiny chance of having both unlocked cores trouble free.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^Maybe coz the 810 is not BE... :)

I also think that too :p
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
CUz 720 is atually better, and unlocks to a quad core anywayz....at 2.8GHz that too...

Yup, but that's only true for earlier batches. Know any one in the forum who had succesfully unlocked any Phenom II cpu's in quad core ?
Posted again:
Yeah, 720BE was a good buy. Only thing which was comparable to it or was a better buy was Phenom II X2 550 since it could unlock to give double number of cores. But then you had no guarentee that both cores were fully functional. All CPUs with ONE faulty core became 720BE, and it also had the CPUs with BOTH cores intact but released due to market demand. 550BE had a very tiny chance of having both unlocked cores trouble free.

Yup, But chances on unlocking cores are very limited. AMD released those unlockable cpu's only in their earlier batches to raise a market hype and who ever got to unlock those got stable enough quad cores :p

But I have not seen any member in our forum who was really able to unlock those phenom II cpu's in to quads :p

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
AMD Confirms Hexa-Core Thuban CPU and compatible to AM3 and AM2+ sockets

Extrapolating from the hexa-core Opteron, Thuban is likely to be a 346mm2 chip and have a massive 904 million transistors. As a comparison, Intel’s Core i7-975 Extreme Editions have 731 million transistors on a 262mm2 die, the Core i5-750 has 774 million transistors with 296mm2 die and the Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 758 million transistors on a 258mm2 die.

The chip is expected to have 3MB of L2 and 6MB of L3 cache. The company did not specific initial clock speeds but they are not expected to be as high as the quad-core parts. That’s likely due to added thermal output from the two additional cores.

Read On

Top Bottom