Camera talk...

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Yesterday, I got an opportunity to try D40. :) I was glad when I was given D40 to take photographs. D40 with 18-55 Non VR lens + Vivitar external flash mounted on it. It was actually a photographers. He was shooting in M mode. He gave it to a person, and the person was trying to shoot. But flash wasn't firing. :) He tried... Finally, he clicked. He saw me standing there, and gave it to me to use it. :)
But when I viewed through VF, finder isn't clear. Couldn't view things clearly. Thought of adjusting diopter. But don't want to screw up the photographer's settings. So put the strap around my neck and started using my camera. Later I had some time to fiddle with the menu and settings. ISO settings were deep in the menu. :(

sujoyp

Grand Master
[MENTION=34930]Zangetsu[/MENTION] ...both have different purpose...but 50mm is slightly better
[MENTION=125321]nac[/MENTION] D40 have similar pentamirror viewfinder which all D3xxx,D5xxx,1xxxD ,6xxD have soo it will be like that only mostly ....pentaprism have much better and bigger viewfinder in D90, D7000 range of DSLR .
yaah ISO is in the menu of even D3100 ...hard buttons are definitely useful ....thats why I said touch screen is useless ....a photographer should not look into the screen to change settings.

BTW I got my monopod head for my benro monopod ...the Manfrotto 234RC ...its awesome and very strongly built ...now I can carry a lens upto 4KG on my combo as my head can also hold 10 KG :)

*farm6.staticflickr.com/5535/13619642434_e420e38f0d_z.jpg

*farm6.staticflickr.com/5222/13619643644_28325e9ef5_z.jpg

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
can't buy both now...btw which prime lens u use?
and 35mm 1.8G vs 50mm 1.8G both are same in sharpness & picture quality?

dont know about Nikon lenses, but the Canon 50mm 1.8F is a true portraiture lens. Rivals the L lenses in sharpness and color accuracy.

anything under 50mm is not ideal for portraits, IMO. it distorts features.

- - - Updated - - -

Now you know why Im such a fan of hard buttons for ISO DOF and WB present even on entry level Canon DSLRs!

same here. that was my primary cause of going for Canon when i started out.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
D40 has more buttons and knobs than my SX130, yet it doesn't have easy access to ISO. :( I heard it before, now I experienced it. What the four arrow keys are doing? :-x
Sujoy, I think it's not maintained properly. So the reason for unclear VF, not because of pentamirror. I have seen scene through VF of D3100/D5100 in reliance digital, they were good. :)

sujoyp

Grand Master
naah they are just usable...not at all good...Now I cant go back to pentamirror VF ...they look soo dark and grainy

Nac I can assign ISO on the Fn button given in D3100 to change ISO on the go :) I have exposure , metering and video record button already and ISO can be assign to extra fn button ...thats all we need mostly..I think I only miss AF button
yaah regarding D5200 and D5300 they removed all the button and recreated UI

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Hmm..so I won't miss anything of 35mm if I go with 50mm
coz I heard that 35mm is best for indoors and 50mm for outdoor
50mm has better bokeh effect

so its 50:50 dilemma for me

Hrishi

Guys , is there any emulators available for Cameras ?? Like Nikon's emulator , Canon's emulator ?? So if someone wants to buy a camera they can at least have an idea , whose interface is easier .

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
^ There is... But not for every model by model. Just to understand how exposure triangle works.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Canon has listed some new cameras. G1X MII priced too much @ 59k (doesn't look like it's available). Much higher than MK 1 and MK 2's US price. SX700 is above 20k (they didn't launch SX270/280 last year), I remember SX260 was too price like this and within few months price dropped. Now SX model comes with full auto only model, SX600. Stripped manual controls, sports narrower aperture (I have only seen this small aperture before in rugged models). IXUS 255 successor 265 sucks in paper. It doesn't look like they will be launching S120 in India. S110 is almost out of stock, only we're left with cheaper, low quality one S200. Else, we have to look up little bulkier model from G series.

- - - Updated - - -

Finally, Nikon offers manual controls in their travel zoom S9700 but with narrow aperture. :(

- - - Updated - - -

Fujifilm has increase price for some of the cameras. But I don't think we see the reflection in street price. Did you guys notice any price hike? The only price hike noticed was for HS28 and HS35 (both are the very same HS25 and HS30) but @ higher price. And that was long ago...

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Need some advice. About to make a purchase.

Sigma 18-250 DC OS Macro HSM or Tamron 70-300 VC (The one that [MENTION=5739]Incinerator[/MENTION] has)
I am looking for a walkaround lens, but wouldnt mind loosing the wide end for significantly improved telephoto. Has anyone here researched on this bit ?

Cant find a comparison or image curves anywhere for the Tamron. :|

sujoyp

Grand Master
[MENTION=221001]Pranav[/MENTION] its always proven fact that a zoom lens like 18-250 will can not be compared to a 70-300 kind of lens...more the range of zoom more elements is needed inside the lens and IQ level drops ...its always better to get 70-300 for IQ and 18-250 only for superzoom convenience

sujoyp

Grand Master
Just got the delivery of my Nikon wired trigger for long exposure shots...its a chineese copy actually cost just 300rs :D Nikon original one cost almost 1200 ;) ...now it will be useful for taking star trails ...it have a button lock which will keep the button pressed in bulb mode ...awesome...will do a 30mins trail today night

*i.ebayimg.com/00/s/Mzg0WDM4NA==/$T2eC16FHJHwE9n8igtEnBQlgoPbCFw~~60_12.JPG

Hrishi

Just got the delivery of my Nikon wired trigger for long exposure shots...its a chineese copy actually cost just 300rs :D Nikon original one cost almost 1200 ;) ...now it will be useful for taking star trails ...it have a button lock which will keep the button pressed in bulb mode ...awesome...will do a 30mins trail today night

*i.ebayimg.com/00/s/Mzg0WDM4NA==/$T2eC16FHJHwE9n8igtEnBQlgoPbCFw~~60_12.JPG

I thought you said its not a good season for long exposures.......:p
burn marks on sensors due to heat.

Top Bottom