Camera talk...

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
Even high end PnS have RAW support there days. RAW is not a feature. The camera is just providing the unprocessed sensor output. Also D5xxx and 7xxx are used by many professionals too. Nikon sure knows that. So it is a fake rumour

Hrishi

Is it possible to have multiple objects in focus on a single picture ??? I mean focus on three - four or more objects located differently , in the frame and keep everything else out of focus?

And what is these 9 focus points ? 15 focus points ? 49 focus points ??

sujoyp

Grand Master
[MENTION=17225]Rishi[/MENTION] It can be done...but you have to play with DOF and apertures...there is a aperture calculator on net...search it and see how much deapth of field you need to keep those subjects in focus

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Is it possible to have multiple objects in focus on a single picture ??? I mean focus on three - four or more objects located differently , in the frame and keep everything else out of focus?
And what is these 9 focus points ? 15 focus points ? 49 focus points ??
That depends... If your four subjects spread from 10ft to 100ft, it's more likely or impossible to keep those subjects in focus and blur the frame where you have no subject. But you can do it in PP.
The focus points are dot/square/cross you see in VF or LCD. You can pick the one you want to focus and click.

*cdn.digital-photo-secrets.com/images/nikon-focus-points.jpg

*www.becoming-mom.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/focus2.jpg

*imgsv.imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d5100/img/features04/img_06.png

Last edited:

sujoyp

Grand Master
Guys try this to better understand Online Depth of Field Calculator

It shows for D7000 at 50mm focal length and f11 and subject 10 feet I will get 5.8 feet DOF and 2.1 feet in front and 3.7 feet back ..thats within that 5.8 feet I can get all in focus
shoot at f16 and you get a DOF of 9 feet :)

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
^ When I first heard about DOF, I came across this site and learned some. Since I started using CHDK, I am using it in-camera. :)

sujoyp

Grand Master
sure ...look 85mm is the most used portrait lens for professional photographers ...and 50mm give that 85mm field of view on D3100 ...

but if you plan even to take 3 friends togather then you may need a 35mm for its wider field of view

Hrishi

I guess , I will have to do a lot of reading about DOF , now. That'll help me utilize the 15point focus system that my DSLT has.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW , on a side note. I was wondering whether it'll be wise to spend some money on a class 10 memory card ?? I have a 4GB Class 4 card , that I received in the bundle.
I run out of memory if , when using RAW photo mode. Each pic is like 20-25Mb.

Will it give any significant difference in speed with a better class memory card , when clicking pics ??

sujoyp

Grand Master
yes rishi...get a class 10 card...if you cant afford sandisk extreme then at least get sandisk ultra ....I was using ultra on D3100 and extreme on D7000 ....it really helps saving files quickly

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Sony SDHC 32 GB Class 10 94MB/s Memory Card (SF-32UX) + 5 Years Warranty + Bill | eBay Mobile

This is a good 32 GB SDHC confirming UHS1 standard with amazing performance ,lesser capacity in the same series is also available.Im using this as my primary SDHC.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
sure ...look 85mm is the most used portrait lens for professional photographers ...and 50mm give that 85mm field of view on D3100 ...

but if you plan even to take 3 friends togather then you may need a 35mm for its wider field of view

can't buy both now...btw which prime lens u use?
and 35mm 1.8G vs 50mm 1.8G both are same in sharpness & picture quality?

Hrishi

Sony SDHC 32 GB Class 10 94MB/s Memory Card (SF-32UX) + 5 Years Warranty + Bill | eBay Mobile

This is a good 32 GB SDHC confirming UHS1 standard with amazing performance ,lesser capacity in the same series is also available.Im using this as my primary SDHC.

A little expensive but planning to buy 8GB/16GB version of this.

Top Bottom