BSNL Revises Broadband Plans

manoj_299

Out of Stock
I use combo 600 BSNL plan with 2.5 GB free and night unlimited. I download 60 GB + per month @ 2Mbps. No fup. I like this plan most.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^my pings have taken a hit. 200+ for killing floor servers which was below 150 before/

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Grooveshark user.
Regular Youtube user.
Regular Arch Linux updates. (200-300 MB every week or two or so)
Experimenting with various distros (each one at least 700MB and upto 4.7 GB)
Game downloads (Humble Indie Bundles, Steam, Desura, Free games. Games can go above 10GB in download)
Backup of personal data on file sharing sites (Photos, Cam Videos on Mediafire, Rapidshare)
Live Streaming (very bandwidth heavy)
Multiplayer gaming

I am sorry but if they are giving piracy the reason they are nothing more than morons.

I am personally unable to appreciate the disapproval of most here... BSNL has, taking for example UL750, increased UL750 speed from 512kbps for full month to 1 Mbps for first 6 GB of the month and then 512 kbps for rest of month without changing cost. So, in general there is an increase in speed and at most, after fup speed drops down to older speed in the plan.
MTNL offers 1Mbps @ 999. No FUP.

While I appreciate that FUP is a PITA, most of those affected by it are those who are downloading illegal movies, apps, etc... Sure there are a few legitimate users affected by it (including me) who may download large legal (trial) apps, linux distros, online gaming, etc. but the percentage is very small... I would guess that only 5% of subscriber base would be affected by the FUP and among that 5%, only 1% would be affected for legitimate reasons...
Back up the stats.

Sure, I am affected by FUP myself (I have Airtel unlimited which fups me by about 20-25 days in general)... And the reasoning that the companies give of piracy,etc might be actually BS (the actual being to increase their profit by forcing some users to go for higher plans)... However, I think we should just accept it and live with it... May be once piracy is curbed, we can think about forcing the companies to drop the fups...

Arun

If only Raja Ram Mohan Roy had just lived up with the Sati system and accepted it......

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
I am personally unable to appreciate the disapproval of most here... BSNL has, taking for example UL750, increased UL750 speed from 512kbps for full month to 1 Mbps for first 6 GB of the month and then 512 kbps for rest of month without changing cost. So, in general there is an increase in speed and at most, after fup speed drops down to older speed in the plan.

While I appreciate that FUP is a PITA, most of those affected by it are those who are downloading illegal movies, apps, etc... Sure there are a few legitimate users affected by it (including me) who may download large legal (trial) apps, linux distros, online gaming, etc. but the percentage is very small... I would guess that only 5% of subscriber base would be affected by the FUP and among that 5%, only 1% would be affected for legitimate reasons...

Sure, I am affected by FUP myself (I have Airtel unlimited which fups me by about 20-25 days in general)... And the reasoning that the companies give of piracy,etc might be actually BS (the actual being to increase their profit by forcing some users to go for higher plans)... However, I think we should just accept it and live with it... May be once piracy is curbed, we can think about forcing the companies to drop the fups...

Arun

Online gaming. I bought genuine Battlefield 3. Me & Charan play almost everynight on the internet. So you can't say that all of us download illegal movies etc. What about the guys who are trying different FOSS OS? They're also legal torrents..

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
That's right. I adree with LFC and Krow.

I just downloaded FreeBSD 9.0 and Debian ISO and 6GB is over lol..!!

Now downloading OpenSUSE @ 512kbps. :(

sakumar79

Technomancer
I not fully disagreeing with you... But remember that you would have earlier downloaded both FreeBSD and Debian at 512 kbps only... But now you have downloaded both at 1Mbps without increase in your monthly bill... And now, you are continuing to download at 512kbps which was the speed you had earlier subscribed to...

Also, how often do you try out new variants? Very few people try variants more than once a month... Maybe initially people might try many variants one after the other, and there may be people who want to try out different flavors continuously, but these are rare...

I already agreed that online gaming people are among those legitimately affected by FUP... And I agree with lfc the list of activities are those for whom FUP will be genuinely affected...

However, I have only stated my personal opinion... Sorry if it bothered so many people...

Arun

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Well, I'm not saying only about this plan.

I'm ready to pay more...but these guys (actually none) have 1mbps / 2mbps UL plan (UL = No FUP)

Well, sify is there but they doesn't provide connection in my area. I'm looking for Reliance now, but it seems like they also don't provide connection in my area.

And my last hope is Alliance which I don't want to opt for.

I know we got a speed boost on our old plan without paying extra. So that's not the thing I'm talking about.

But they don't have any other plans too.

512kbps is nothing nowadays. Even a 360p YouTube video's doesn't stream properly (smoothly).

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
MTNL does offer both FUP and non-FUP plan, 512Kbps@599, 1Mbps@999. How about BSNL offering similar plans? They deserve every bit of criticism they get. They fail to give good offers even in cities like Bangalore. By the VFM logic they could have offered two plans one this, and the other 768Kbps UL No FUP. But nope.

Krow

Crowman
lol..!! No..!! MTNL is for Mumbai. Maharashtra Telecom Nigam Limited (I Guess!!) and BSNL elsewhere.

:lol: It's Mahanagar and not Maharashtra. MTNL is there in Mumbai and Delhi. BSNL is there in rest of India. Both are government-owned.

BSNL does not exist in Mumbai or Delhi.

sygeek

Technomancer
I would have opted for this, but neither is their an open connection for Rcom in my building neither do they provide anywhere near good service. My neighbor's connection is down most of the time (he's switching to bsnl).

Also, when I first opted for this connection, they made me wait 2 months (they offered the best plan, thought the wait would be worth it) before saying that there is no connection available for my flat. Switched to BSNL immediately after, can't say if it offers anything better.

Top Bottom