Bsnl Gives Linux Dialer for Broadband In EXE File Format

Status
Not open for further replies.

grendel

Broken In
^^ Thats just a small problem which can be fixed .. but many are not happy here because of RPM based release.

ray|raven

Think Zen.
^Its not a big deal, one can always convert it to deb or tgz.

Although, a source package would have been better.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Gosh you guys are too blind. You're connected already, so forget it. You don't need it, don't rant on it. They are helping and let them, if it bothers you just shut your browsers up.

(Not towards the RPM war..)

ray|raven

Think Zen.
^Why not a simple zip, which can be opened anywhere,
whether the guy was using windows or mac os x or whatever.

And i'm not saying its their fault, who knows , they just might be the dumbest folks around :p

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
rayraven - ZIP can't necessarily be opened everywhere. Some persons may not have the software. I know, knew rather, many 98 users who had no WinZIP etc on their PC.

Yes, BSNL is old-fashioned but compiling a manual and a dialer into a self extractor was not a bad idea. Afterall a person would first only download it in Windows and then read and carry on post-boot in Linux. BSNL assumes 'guys' use Windows default. Any company would, its share's over 90%, that's why.

My point is that you guys are looking at it as an EXE and not as a self-extracting archive. Its a self-extracting archive AND its an executable. I don't know why that bothers so many here.

ray|raven

Think Zen.
^Point taken.

Although a separate download as a zip or a tarball would have helped IMO.
What if i am on nix, and want to use the 'official' dialer?

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Linux users don't really do that. :)) But yes, that could be optionally placed there. Choice would only induce more confusion into the newbies though.

kumarmohit

Technomancer
So you have to install wine before you can get online, oh wait, where do I download WINE from?

ROTFL

Any way the first time i installed mandrake on my PC, the Sify technician also tried to install the exe on my PC. Imagine windows client on Mandrake and no I did not install WINE either and there I was laughing as crazy as soon as he left. In fact I was hard pressed to control my gags when I saw him furiously double clicking the exe.

OP
gary4gar

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
Gosh you guys are too blind. You're connected already, so forget it. You don't need it, don't rant on it. They are helping and let them, if it bothers you just shut your browsers up.

(Not towards the RPM war..)
Same can be applied on You:p

there DO exist tools to extract files from just about any recoganisable archive, including exe. So that problem is milder. But the real problem is that they gave a self extracting exe. What was its point ? Why not give some format that works on all OSes by default like .zip ? If you argue about windows 98, you should be staying in a time 10 years back, not now. Now only win xp and win vista are active. even the former is 7 years old.

And yes, the more serious issue is the RPM. Linux also has several NSIS equivalents, and a few softwares have .bin installers. Why not them ? Why a distro dependant package manager package ? Or, they could have given plain .zip or .tgz files too.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just go here :
*www.calcuttatelephones.com/dataoneinstall/mdm05.html
and click on the download driver/software links and see what happens !
What's a screw up :D Lolz

mrbgupta

Journeyman
what happens ? a download dialogue box appears . why so much lol? nothing happens to screw up.

*i31.tinypic.com/2r7liki.jpg

*i26.tinypic.com/jl0x1h.jpg

I think you have been screwed up by your browser.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom