Blank Media (CD-DVD-BD) Guide

Sarath

iDota
This is a list I compiled over a month of research. It is fairly lacking in many aspects but it worked for me, and hopefully will for you too.

DVD
Brand Actual Capacity Unit Price Price per GB Price Quantity Website link

DVD (4.38GB)
CHEAP Sony 4.38 18 4 177 10 Flipkart.com: Sony DVD-R 10 Pack Spindle: Blank Media
CHEAP Verbatim 4.38 14 3 144 10 Flipkart.com: Verbatim DVD+R 10 Pack Spindle: Blank Media
GOOD Verbatim 4.38 11 3 560 50 New 50 Verbatim DVD+R 16X 4.7GB AZO Made in Japan | eBay
LIGHTSCRIBE Verbatim 4.38 33 8 827 25 Flipkart.com: Verbatim DVD+R Lightscribe 25 Pack Spindle: Blank Media
PROFESSIONAL JVC 4.38 41 9 4125 100 100 JVC/Taiyo Yuden Premium Line DVD-R 16X Blank DVDR (Rs. 4151)
PROFESSIONAL Verbatim Gold Archival Grade 4.38 86 20 4300 50 Verbatim 62266 DVD-R 4.7 GB 8X 50 Packs, Compare and Buy latest CD And DVD Media Online in India: bitFang.com
PROFESSIONAL Verbatim Gold Archival Grade 4.38 95 22 4750 50 Verbatim Gold Archival Grade DVD-R 4.7GB 8X 50P Spindle | eBay

For some reason, despite repeated attempts I am unable to add the DVD-DL and the BD list to the above post.
I will try again if anyone needs those.

Few important points:
A lot of brands have been ignored in the list since I was looking for the best at great VFM, when I compiled the list for my personal use.
~Verbatim is my favourite choice. I haven't used any but universal acceptance of the fact that they are good if not the best, has led me to search for them exclusively.
~Other Brands such as Moser Baer and Amkette etc to name a few also make decent DVDs. I cannot judge them as I do not have the means.
~Sony if it is Made in Taiwan then it is considerable good for normal important data. The Made in India ones are of lower quality than the Taiwanese cousins.
~Taiyo Uden is the best DVD/CD manufacturer in the world. They are Made in Japan and very difficult to come by.
~Verbatim has a good reputation online and are priced similar to other brands and hence I chose them.

DVD-DL
DVD-DL (7.9GB)
MEDIUM Verbatim 7.9 41.9 5.303797468 419 10 Flipkart.com: Verbatim DVD+R DL 10 Pack Spindle: Blank Media
MEDIUM Verbatim 7.9 80 10.12658228 4000 50 Verbatim DVD+R DL 8.5GB 8X White Printable 50pk Spindle | eBay
MEDIUM Verbatim 7.9 88 11.13924051 4400 50 Verbatim 96577 8.5 GB 2.4x-6x Doub - VERBATIM CORP | eBay
LIGHTSCRIBE Verbatim 7.9 57.5 7.278481013 575 10 Verbatim 43666 DVD+R DL 8.5 GB 2.4X 10 Packs, Compare and Buy latest CD And DVD Media Online in India: bitFang.com
LIGHTSCRIBE Verbatim 7.9 63 7.974683544 630 10 Verbatim DVD+R DL 8.5GB Lightscribe 8X 5PK JC (43684) Gadgets.in|Online Shop India
LIGHTSCRIBE Verbatim 7.9 108 13.67088608 540 5 5 Pack Verbatim Dual Double Layer Lightscribe DVD+R 8X | eBay

~The DVD-DL list was pretty difficult to come by, so a lot of brands have been missed out.

~The DVD-DL list was pretty difficult to come by, so a lot of brands have been missed out.

BD (Blu-Ray)
BD (23.3GB)
MEDIUM Verbatim 23.3 210 9.012875536 2100 10 10 Pack Verbatim 25GB 4X Blu-Ray BD-R DVDs SL | eBay
MEDIUM Verbatim 23.3 248.2 10.65236052 1241 5 Flipkart.com: Verbatim BD-R 5 Pack Jewel Case: Blank Media

Last edited:
OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
Thanks guys.

I usually never leave my threads so bland. This is an exception due to two reasons.
1. The excel files took really long to get copied. For some strange reason, that too for the first time. (The Ctrl+C and the Ctrl+V procedure)
2. My FUP has been hit and my speed is 256kbps now, which sucks. That means every page takes ages to load (coming from a 4mbps pre-FUP)

I will do the needful once I am armed with speed. In fact I feel the first point is attributed to the second.

Will add more if need be. Please contribute, if any, about different brands that you have used. Thanks.

:)

UPDATE 1: I just realised I uploaded the wrong file (not wrong actually) for the DVD-DL and BD. You will notice the decimals haven't been reduced, like has been for the DVD table. I will do it in a weeks time. Kindly bear with it till then.

sujoyp

Grand Master
didnt u liked national brand which is a sister concern of panasonic....I am using it for last 2-3 years and no problem...its really cheap...good for games and movies

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
^I haven't come across any as such. I have seen some HP ones also. But haven't really used many. If you can give me the price of the DVDs then I will add it to the list. Do mention how many are you buying 10spindle or 50 etc.

sujoyp

Grand Master
last time I bought 50DVD National pack for Rs.320

And my friend bought a DL DVD pack of 50 for Rs.800

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
Oh wow. Guess what I do have Moser Baer but CDs. I am not sure anyone even uses CDs anymore. I will add them to the list if I find accurate information about them.

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
Oh wow. Guess what I do have Moser Baer but CDs. I am not sure anyone even uses CDs anymore. I will add them to the list if I find accurate information about them.

Hi ! nice compilation of information there !

well, even i can vouch for the quality of the National brand of DVDs ! been using them for quite some time now. never ever had any problem, and also come at a much cheaper price than some other competitors in the market. try them out. you get packs of those (esp. DL ones) at ebay too (comes in pink colour...the DL ones).

BTW, i think their prices have increased now...pls correct me if someone thinks otherwise.

@ sujoyp

Hi ! so you from ngp :?: :smile:

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
Can someone give me a price for the National DVDs. 10spindle or 50spindle or loose (pls mention) and its price. I am unable to find them online. Any links will also be helpful. No available on ebay.

Thanks for all the reps guys :-D

bubusam13

Human
I buy WRITEX / FronTech / RENOtech/ MOSERBAER.... 4.7 GB (4.5 actually).... 10 spindle for Rs 100.
As far Quality is concerned, renotech and umax are not so goo,,, Others very good. Moserbaer DVD I wrote on 2006 are running fine on my old dvd writer on my PC. Writex n frontech same. no complaints.

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
Can someone give me a price for the National DVDs. 10spindle or 50spindle or loose (pls mention) and its price. I am unable to find them online. Any links will also be helpful. No available on ebay.

Thanks for all the reps guys :-D

do you need DL DVD-set ? then here they are :

50 Pack National 8.5gb Double Dual Layer DVD Moser Baer | eBay

20 Pieces Loose National dual Layer Blank DVD 8.5 GB | eBay

dont buy from other sellers listed on ebay. they have them quite overpriced :evil:

you can try frontech ones too...used them long back...were of really good quality. have recently bought a pack DL-DVDs of one 'Arita' brand. will be using them for the first time. yet to see whether they're worth their salt.

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
Oh nice. Thanks for the info. Will update all info on to the main post at the end of 1st week of september.

Reason: FUP has made my life hell. One more time and I will switch off airtel.

ajayritik

Technomancer
Sarath I have been using National for quite some time. I get it around Rs 7 per DVD. It doesn't matter that much if I buy one or more. But quality is'nt great. Will generally use it to burn some movies which I would watch once etc. Not for songs or software.

Thanks for the thread!

sujoyp

Grand Master
@kilroyquasar yes I am from nagpur :)

@ajayritik I can say that I use National DVD to store movies and ps2 games

for personal photographs and video I use sony which are precious :)

if the sole purpose is storage then I think National 50dvd (around 200GB) for 320Rs is good

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
Sarath I have been using National for quite some time. I get it around Rs 7 per DVD. It doesn't matter that much if I buy one or more. But quality is'nt great. Will generally use it to burn some movies which I would watch once etc. Not for songs or software.

Thanks for the thread!

i can agree to that.....i have some national single layer DVDs, which due to my negligence (i kept them in DVD albums and forgot about them) stuck to the back-foam of the pouch, and some of them were rendered useless. guess better upkeep would not have resulted in such a situation.

BUT national's DL-DVDs are really good ! i have a lot of them with Xbox 360 games written onto them, 1.5-2 yrs old, and never had even a slight glitch with any of them, except ofcourse with the ones for whom i cared a lot less ;-)

@kilroyquasar yes I am from nagpur :)

good....i too 'was' a nagpurkar (now a mumbaikar though, and not liking it :evil:)....lived there for ~14 yrs....may i know where do you stay ? which area i mean...

Top Bottom