Blank Media (CD-DVD-BD) Guide

sujoyp

Grand Master
@kilroyquasar ....we r nagpurians not nagpurkar :D

I live near VRCE college...just beside IT park...its gayatri nagar :)

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
I won an auction for 50 national DVD-DLs for Rs.400 only .(I know :)))

Can someone give me the normal market price for the spindle, with a link for validation?

You can also tell me local prices if links are not available

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
It would be nice if someone can explain the difference between following, in terms of its practical difference.

DVD -R
DVD +R
DVD -RW
DVD +RW etc...

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
It would be nice if someone can explain the difference between following, in terms of its practical difference.

DVD -R
DVD +R
DVD -RW
DVD +RW etc...

here you go :
DVD-R

A write-once format that is compatible with many existing DVD Players, Recorders and DVD-ROM drives. Can only be used in DVD Recorders and Burners that support DVD-R recording or multi-format recording (drives that record "plus" or "dash"). Holds 4.7GB of data or video. Typically, it can hold 2 hours of MPEG-2 video on standard (SP) speed setting.

DVD-RW

DVD-RW is the re-writable version of DVD-R. It allows for approximately 1,000 re-writes before it is used up. In general, DVD-RW discs are slightly less compatible than DVD-R. Can only be used in DVD Recorders and Burners that support DVD-RW recording or multi-format recording (drives that record "plus" or "dash"). Also holds 4.7GB of data or video.

DVD+R

Another write-once recordable DVD format developed seperate from DVD-R. These discs are basically the same as DVD-R discs. They hold 4.7GB of data or video and are compatible with most DVD Players and DVD-ROM drives. They can only be used in DVD Recorders and Burners that support DVD+R or multi-format recorders.

DVD+RW

The re-writable version of DVD+R. It can record approximately 1,000 times. They also hold 4.7GB of data or video and must be used in DVD+RW compatible Recorders and Burners or multi-format recorders.

DVD-RAM

DVD-RAM comes in two varieties and storage capacities. These discs come in both cartridge and non-cartridge varieties and come single-sided or double-sided. Offered by only a few manufacturers (Panasonic, Toshiba and a few other minor ones), DVD-RAM is useful if used like a hard drive. Because it supports and incredible 100,000 re-writes, you can use the disc to record TV shows, view them and then re-write over them many times. Single sided discs hold 4.7GB, double-sided 9.4GB, allowing for longer recording times. DVD-RAM is the least compatible of the 5 recording formats, and is typically used for recording and playback in the same Set Top DVD Recorder.

source

Thread stuck. :)

:?::?::?::?::?::?::?::?::?::?::?::?::?::?::?::?::?:

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
Guys what's the best DVD-DL disk available in market and what's the price?

Totally missed it.

I bought 2 types of DL media.

National and Verbatim. A few National ones failed. I haven't tried Verbatim yet but bought them after extensive research, but the ones from Verbatim are only good which are produced by Taio Yuden. Mine are not, from FK.

So answer to your query:

The best media / DL media is Tiao Yuden produced Verbatim (and older JVC media) (all made in Japan, dont worry they cost same as other brands) which were sold by itbazaar but went out of stock. No other stock seen after that from any seller.

ajayritik

Technomancer
Totally missed it.

I bought 2 types of DL media.

National and Verbatim. A few National ones failed. I haven't tried Verbatim yet but bought them after extensive research, but the ones from Verbatim are only good which are produced by Taio Yuden. Mine are not, from FK.

So answer to your query:

The best media / DL media is Tiao Yuden produced Verbatim (and older JVC media) (all made in Japan, dont worry they cost same as other brands) which were sold by itbazaar but went out of stock. No other stock seen after that from any seller.

I have couple of DVD9 movies which I need to burn so I was wondering should I invest in a Dual Layer DVD or should I try splitting it into two DVD5's

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
I don't know what you mean by DVD9 and 5 but I would assume you are talking about the file size.

If you are looking for archive then I would suggest Verbatim / Sony ones. If it is for casual viewing and circulation then National ones will do the job.

Since you asked for the best one, I would suggest the Verbatim ones. Splitting or not is your choice. I am not sure if I can comment on that. It all comes down to how important those files are and convenience of one disc against two.

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
100% CORRECT.. :+1:
:agreed:

look , you have a movie to burn onto the disk..
if replacing the disk after the first part doesn't do any harm , just go for dvd5 (4.7 gb)

"i think it is a better and more efficient , reliable choice..

ajayritik

Technomancer
I don't know what you mean by DVD9 and 5 but I would assume you are talking about the file size.

If you are looking for archive then I would suggest Verbatim / Sony ones. If it is for casual viewing and circulation then National ones will do the job.

Since you asked for the best one, I would suggest the Verbatim ones. Splitting or not is your choice. I am not sure if I can comment on that. It all comes down to how important those files are and convenience of one disc against two.
My apologies should have given the details.
Actually I have a movie with me whose size is around 6 GB.
I have an option of splitting that into two and burning it on a single layer DVD's so that would cost me around Rs 30 considering each Single Layer DVD costs around Rs 15 each.
But I remember sometime back when I checked in one computer store the price for dual layer DVD was around Rs 45. So I thought I would rather spend Rs 15 more and not worry about the tedious part of splitting the DVD's into two Single layer.

100% CORRECT.. :+1:
:agreed:

look , you have a movie to burn onto the disk..
if replacing the disk after the first part doesn't do any harm , just go for dvd5 (4.7 gb)

"i think it is a better and more efficient , reliable choice..
Can I have more details on this? Not sure about what you are suggesting!

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
I won a bid for 50 National discs. They cost 800+ but I got it for 450. Seller didn't put them up again.

Verbatim are as is on Flipkart at present.

ajayritik

Technomancer
I won a bid for 50 National discs. They cost 800+ but I got it for 450. Seller didn't put them up again.

Verbatim are as is on Flipkart at present.
Yes I remember your post on the offer you got
But you were saying about the best brand but it may not be available now in India.
The best media / DL media is Tiao Yuden produced Verbatim (and older JVC media)

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
Dual Layer DVDs

This place was the last time anyone saw those DVDs. The seller has not responded as to when they will be restocked.

Also his thread on TE: Super Deals on Verbatim DVD+R 16X 4.7GB Made in Japan - dvdstoredelhi - TechEnclave

ajayritik

Technomancer
Dual Layer DVDs

This place was the last time anyone saw those DVDs. The seller has not responded as to when they will be restocked.

Also his thread on TE: Super Deals on Verbatim DVD+R 16X 4.7GB Made in Japan - dvdstoredelhi - TechEnclave

Well then I need to check in local stores here.

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
Can I have more details on this? Not sure about what you are suggesting!

i was suggesting that if you dont have any problem with replacing the first dvd with the 2nd part while watching a movie , then you can go with usual dvds (the 4.7 gb ones..)

they will be easily available..

and AFAIK we have to turn sides of the dvd 9 to play the other side ?? (or the reader/writer head are on both sides ??)

so.. my vote goes for dvd 5..
if you dont want any hassles , may be you should go for blu-ray ??

you can burn approx 3 ~ 4 6gb movies on one blu ray drive..
but you have to invest much..
the choice is yours..

Top Bottom