Status
Not open for further replies.

abhidev

Human Spambot
dude...u have ATI card & u r asking for SLI....WTF???? :-x

SLI is for Nvidia.....
Cross-Fire is for ATI......:)

& BTw MSI P55 is good.....;-)

No dude...i just wanted to know wat do u mean by 3 way SLI support....thats all. Can u pls shed some light on it?

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
SLI : Scalable link interface. It is a proprietary brand name of nVidia. Connecting more than one accelerator in parallel. Needs an nForce chip and license provided by nVidia on the motherboard.

CrossfireX : Multi GPU technology developed and sold by ATI. Licensed out to motherboard vendors by ATI. No physical chip as such is needed in between.

Both the above can be external (two or more discrete GPUs installed--2 slots are occupied) or internal (one PCB has 2 cores--single slot is occupied).

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
SLI : Scalable link interface. It is a proprietary brand name of nVidia. Connecting more than one accelerator in parallel. Needs an nForce chip and license provided by nVidia on the motherboard.

CrossfireX : Multi GPU technology developed and sold by ATI. Licensed out to motherboard vendors by ATI. No physical chip as such is needed in between.

Both the above can be external (two or more discrete GPUs installed--2 slots are occupied) or internal (one PCB has 2 cores--single slot is occupied).

one more important thing, Xfire License is free, whereas Nvidia charges money. BTW, for simple SLI i.e. 2 Nvidia cards in SLI. does it needs nForce chip too?

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
Not exactly the nForce chipset. The nForce chipset would compromise of the MCH and SB being created by nVidia. For SLI the board needs the nForce chip on board. Prior to the X58 days only nForce 'chipset' boards allowed SLI, but now nVidia has opened up to other X58 manufactures. They do check the board out via the program and authorize it for SLI -- nForce chip. So the board will have the nForce chip for SLI, but not the chipset. Chipset remains X58.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
Actually I was wrong. Sorry.

For SLI to work, not always the nForce chip has to be embedded. Prior the the X58 days, this was mandate. That is why for SLI an nForce board had to be bought. But as of now if it is a non nForce X58 board, and has passed the nVidia certification program then the x16 x16 slots will run SLI, and the driver will realize them to enable SLI. Some type of token key would be embedded within the firmware. So theoretically you have X58 boards with no nForce chip but run full x16 x16 SLI. To get greater than 2 slots to run at x16 (since the 32 lanes on the X58 are used), the extra nForce chip is added to increase the lane count. This explains it better.

*img507.imageshack.us/img507/4585/slix58.jpg

So we can break it into three broad categories.

1. nForce chipset : has the nForce chipset / MCH and SB is by nVidia. Runs SLI on full x16 lanes, depending on number of nForce 200 chips mounted.
2. nForce 200 chip : has the nForce 200 chip embedded on a normal X58 chipset to enhance the SLI capabilities.
3. nVidia certified SLI board : carries the nVidia SLI logo. Will run SLI on full x16 x16 configurations.

Hope this makes sense.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ what you talking bro? if the X16+ X16 SLI, if you bring full bandwidth SLI or multiGPU setup to P55, X58 sales will immediately dip. also to utilize multi GPU setup (more than 2 cards i mean) will need a good proccy. i5 750 + 3 X GTX460 in SLI will result in graphics taking main part & proccing power a minor part. performance will take a hit.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
That is a Q9550 LGA 775 Quad core. Stepping is E0 and it is running at 3.85GHz on 1.32 vCore.

Cost...mmmm...

51K - (ram, E7400, 1x HD4890, TX750, CM690, MSI P45)
14K - 2nd HD4890
2.5K - Scythe Kaze Fan Controller
4.5K - NHd14
8K - Q9550
2K Hyper 212 - (not using anymore)
4.8K - APC 1100VA
700 - 2x Scythe 3000 RPM fans
4.2K - 1 TD WD (yet to be mounted)
13.8K DELL SE2408W

------------------------------------------

~105000 (damn I spend a lot on computer hardware)

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
Friends, I hv decided to buy a new PSU at last.
Keeping an eye to the future,it will be 550W at least.

I have two options : Cooler Master GX550 @ 4.7k

or Corsair VX550W @ 5.1k.

Which one shud I choose?

The original thread

Nvidia GTX 460 Discussion

Last edited:

vwad

In the zone
Friends, I hv decided to buy a new PSU at last.
Keeping an eye to the future,it will be 550W at least.

I have two options : Cooler Master GX550 @ 4.7k

or Corsair VX550W @ 5.1k.

Which one shud I choose?

The original thread

Nvidia GTX 460 Discussion

I will prefer Corsair any day :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom