Basic Guide Purchase a New System

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasath_digit

prasath->loves(APPLE);
HEY GUYS, PLEASE CLARIFY THIS :confused:

Ok I want to be clear abt one thing, I see many were opting for a tri-core or a quad-core AMD Phenom...........but i see that that phenom has a pathetic 1MB L2 Cache, Only the L3 Cache is shared btw the cores.......Intel on the other hand has 6-12MB Caches even on its dual-cores.........i think performance wise Intel wins hands down........But while going in the value-for-money way AMD is the best choice..........

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Intel may have a better processor but their chipset suck and AMD wins hands down when the chipset is also taken into account.

Name one intel chipset that can play crysis??

ATI 780G can play crysis.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^ at low to medium settings. It has X3200 onboard and name one Intel chipset that can run crysis atleast till the main menu :)

acewin

Point Blanc
max 6 MB in C2D and 12MB in C2Q. And if you consider performance, then you should check between P4 and Athlon proccies earlier. P4 proccy beated Athlon even with low L1-L2 cache.

Besides its just 780G chipset mobo for Ati and Geforece 8200/8300 for nVidia making things better with HD support and all making the bundle better in 4.5K, equally good intel mobo costs more. so VFM or performanc/money ratio for AMD is for sure better.

Intel original mobos in same price do not have same bundle, costs more.

Generally people who wanna stick to intel config not wanting price performance ratio.

tkin

Back to school!!
Intel may have a better processor but their chipset suck and AMD wins hands down when the chipset is also taken into account.

Name one intel chipset that can play crysis??

ATI 780G can play crysis.
Intel will have Larabee-Don't forget that.
Now look at this- *en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA
Intel GMA X3xxx and X4500 series has pretty good specs.

NO ONE USES ONBOARD GRAPHICS TO PLAY GAMES LIKE CRYSIS.
If you have a descent graphic card Intel will beat AMD hands down.Even Intel C2D processors beat AMD quad core processors without a hitch.

ATI may have graphics but when it comes to computational power Intel chipsets are unbeatable.That's the primary function of the chipset ,not rendering graphics.It so happens Intel has already started to discard graphics in their higher end chipsets(P35/P45) cause most users will add a discrete graphic card.
Face it, L2/L3 cache matters and as long as AMD don't improve them they will play second to intel.
But for low budget AMD's good.
P.S-I used AMD once.So I have nothing against them.But Intel's pull way ahead.

channabasanna

In the zone
Hi All,
I am planning to buy CPU Cooler for my Q6600 tomorrow, my budget is 2.5 - 3k with fan n CPU Cooler. I have planned for OCZ Vendetta 2, is it available in Bangalore. Else please do suggest me a good cooler within this range.

OP
Choto Cheeta

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Ok I want to be clear abt one thing, I see many were opting for a tri-core or a quad-core AMD Phenom...........but i see that that phenom has a pathetic 1MB L2 Cache, Only the L3 Cache is shared btw the cores.......Intel on the other hand has 6-12MB Caches even on its dual-cores.........i think performance wise Intel wins hands down........But while going in the value-for-money way AMD is the best choice..........

Its not only about your processor, as a high end processor couple with a low end mobo would never be able to do any better :)

Where as in case of AMD you get really cheap but performance motherboard option along with best available on board graphics solution !!!!

So savings in Procy + Mobo means you can invest that extra bucks on other PC hardware parts too to ge some extra performance out from them as well...

Hence when budget is low / tight, AMD based system always bells out better performance compare to similar budget Intel solution !!!

prasath_digit

prasath->loves(APPLE);
Its not only about your processor, as a high end processor couple with a low end mobo would never be able to do any better :)

Where as in case of AMD you get really cheap but performance motherboard option along with best available on board graphics solution !!!!

So savings in Procy + Mobo means you can invest that extra bucks on other PC hardware parts too to ge some extra performance out from them as well...

Hence when budget is low / tight, AMD based system always bells out better performance compare to similar budget Intel solution !!!

OK I AGREE 100%, BUT,

How many in India buy AMD-based systems??????????????? TELL ME, Because Everyone of u know the truth, i think 80% of PC sales in india is budget oriented, but the stupid thing they'll do is go for an entry-level intel garbage........which totally sucks at the lower -end..........( Dont mistake me guys, I Think Intel is not suitable for entry-level systems, but for high-end gaming & professional-work systems, Intel is the best choice :) )

I've tried to tell to many, but they didn't wanna listen........they'll just go to an store and ask for and ADVANCED INTEL CHIPSET while their budget being around 35,000/-, Tell me, for that budget whether intel or AMD is good?. Tell me.........Mostly everyone is blindly choosing intel, according to them, AMD is just a poor cousin, :mad:

Hey, yesterday i went to a local dealer to buy a pen drive for my friend, He was having a list of pre-prepared-configs, All of them were intel-based!!!!!!!!!!! all of them were entry-level systems!!!!!!!!!!..........What is he doing? According to me this is absoultely stupid..........those things comes with X3000 onboard, AMD onboards can beat the **** out of these entry-level intel garbage..........

Let me tell one of my exp = We were trying out Quake 4 demo before it was released, I tried it on two of my friend's systems, one is a P4 with Intel GMA900 onboard, other is a AMD A64 3000+ with nVidia GF6100 onboard, quake 4 didn't even initialize on the stupid intel, but it ran very smoothly @ med-settings on the AMD machine....................After explainig this to my friend, he said, if I had met u before I bought the system, surely, I'd have bought an AMD..............

ALL OF THIS I'M SAYING IS FOR budget-based buyers only, because i think almost 80% of PC sales in India were budget-based solutions............and if we have to make an optimal choice, then those 80% sales should've been AMD based systems, but is it?............... :mad:

I totally agree with Chotu Cheeta and prasath_amd. At entry level, AMD beats the hell out of INTEL configs. Last year I assembled My Second PC (1st one was a second hand PIII), after doing lot of research on net and magzines ( month approx) and decided to go for AMD. Since then, i have sold -9 systems, all entry level (ranging 18k-31k) and needless to say all AMD configs. And no one has ever complained of any performance issues till date. If only there was a little more awareness about AMD among indian users, it wld have been a totally different scenerio in the Market Share. I am happy with AMD and doing my bit in spreading word bout it. Though i am not at all against Intel coz as for now, Intel is the performance king in High end segment. Still I hope AMD will get things right again with Fusion to prevent any possible monopoly by Intel.

icebags

Technomancer

how abt intel G31 chipset ? its ccomes at 2.5k-3k range and according to tech specifications its quite decent.

tell me what noticable flaws it has when coupled with a highest end C2D E8500/8600 ?
i know it doesnt hav too mant slots/features, but what limitaions it has in performance wise when used with such a procy and a hugh end gfx card ?

tkin

Back to school!!
how abt intel G31 chipset ? its ccomes at 2.5k-3k range and according to tech specifications its quite decent.

tell me what noticable flaws it has when coupled with a highest end C2D E8500/8600 ?
i know it doesnt hav too mant slots/features, but what limitaions it has in performance wise when used with such a procy and a hugh end gfx card ?
Limitations are:-

1.Supports upto 4GB DDR2 800MHz RAM only on two slots. (Most recent chipsets support 8GB on 4 slots)
2.Onboard audio supports 5.1 channel. (Most recent chipsets go for 7.1)
3.4 SATA ports only.
4.Doesnot support RAID.
5.No fireware.

But it has GMA X3100 which gives it an edge over the rest.

If you don't want the aforementioned features then great Mobo at great price.:grin:

prasath_digit

prasath->loves(APPLE);
Limitations are:-

1.Supports upto 4GB DDR2 800MHz RAM only on two slots. (Most recent chipsets support 8GB on 4 slots)
2.Onboard audio supports 5.1 channel. (Most recent chipsets go for 7.1)
3.4 SATA ports only.
4.Doesnot support RAID.
5.No fireware.

Budget ( OR ) Mid range ( OR ) Casual Gamer = AMD :)

Professional User ( OR ) Enthusiast ( OR ) Crazy Gamer = Intel :cool:

thelordrrulzzz

The Burning Curse
After browsing through the net i have discovered that the MSI P35 Neo-F chipset requires an additionally graphics solutions. Due to this i have decided to modify my chipset selection.
I have decided to go for the Intel DG33TL chipset keeping the remaining components same.

Finally i found a efficient way to make use of my old config. I intend to buy a LAN card and a LAN cable to convert my old config into a server for my downloading purpose.

Any further suggestions regarding the components selection??
Is there any other alternative to the DG33TL mobo??

OP
Choto Cheeta

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting

Intel has good rather great after sales in India (though there are certain issues) but still my personal vote would be avoiding intel when using a Core 2 processor due to the locked BIOS of Intel boards...

Try and obtain similar range Gigabite products :D

thanks.

acewin

Point Blanc
After browsing through the net i have discovered that the MSI P35 Neo-F chipset requires an additionally graphics solutions. Due to this i have decided to modify my chipset selection.
I have decided to go for the Intel DG33TL chipset keeping the remaining components same.

Finally i found a efficient way to make use of my old config. I intend to buy a LAN card and a LAN cable to convert my old config into a server for my downloading purpose.

add a low end gfx card like 256 or 512 MB 8400GS will cost you less than 2K
Intel origial P35 based mobo will also not have GPU.
If you are skeptical about price going high buy same performance chipset(Palit P35A) based Palit mobo in 4.2K + 512 MB DDR2 8400GS which would be much much better than x3100 onboard gfx be it you playing little game or watching movie..

The only benefit of MSI P35 Neo-F over any of the P35 based mobo is its expansion capability to DDR3 RAM latter it has 2 DIMMs for DDR2 RAM and 2 DIMM for DDR3 RAM, hence I would recommend you to go with it if you can spending little more money

tkin

Back to school!!
Intel has good rather great after sales in India (though there are certain issues) but still my personal vote would be avoiding intel when using a Core 2 processor due to the locked BIOS of Intel boards...

Try and obtain similar range Gigabite products :D

thanks.
Well, regular PC users won't have to do any overclocking for the C2Ds and for them Intel motherboards will not just suffice but their stability will also become a major plus point for them.3rd party vendors are for Overclockers and enthusiasts mainly and regular users won't be using half of the extra features that those mobos offer and then they will not be much better than the Intel counterparts.So better to go for Intel if uses don't go beyond office work and simple media tasks like watching movies and so on so on.

For gamers/performance enthusiasts-Avoid Intel at all costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom