Basic Guide Purchase a New System

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Choto Cheeta

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
@mkmkmk

As far as I know, you are in need for a CAD system at Rs. 40k...

Few basic things to remember while making a CAD work station is Core would matter in those apps, hence C2Q seems good choice !!! next major thing is the GPU, compare to a main stream system, graphics GPUs are bit different !!! for example, nvidia FX series but then again they would cost more the 40k then self...

Personally I would suggest some thing with more vRAM, like 8600 GT along with 512 MB DDR2 would be good for CAD based work station, where as if you can take a bit risk, cosider ATi HD 2600 and then use firmware flash to softmod it to a firegl version :D

So basically take a look at bellow platform...

Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ Rs. 12200 /- + VAT
MSI P45 Neo - F @ Rs. 6500 /- + VAT
XFX 8600 GT 512 MB / Ati HD 2600 XT @ Rs. 5500 /- + VAT
4 GB (2 GB x 2) Corsier 667 MHz @ Rs. 4200 /- + VAT
160 GB SATA @ Rs. 1800 /- + VAT
DVD RW (IDE) @ Rs. 1100 /- + VAT
Any Cabinet @ Rs. 650 /- + VAT
Zebronics / Powersafe / ColorSit 500 Watts @ Rs. 1800 /- + VAT
Any Local Keyboard Mouse @ Rs. 400 /- + VAT
UPS @ Rs. 1400 /- + VAT

TAX @ 4% Rs. 1422/-
Total Rs. 36972/-

So that leaves near about Rs. 3k free for your display personally I would suggest, right now stick with a 17" CRT which is Rs. 4k at max (LG 700E) so make sure you buy a solid core system :)

You can always add some more HDD or buy a better display letter, where as your system core would stay same for longer period of time !!!!

:D

thanks

acewin

Point Blanc
choto from where did u get the price of Q9450, if things keep on going I will surely get a good buy after 2 months.
besides HD3850 512MB DDR3 is already available in 6K, and if you wanna but 512 MB DDR2 there is 9500GT from Zotac.
But even then good build. with the huge plus in performance. Though my thoughts are different. as monitors lasts much longer than CPU n mobo. Damn those 15" CRT monitors 5-6 year back from the time of P3 are still there working.

I would say put extra 5K but get TFT for sure. as it really matters.

@tkin, I just said because as OS becomes older and newer hardware more powerful the support for OS and softwares running on them increases. additions on lappy are tough, cant change GPU mobo n all stuffs:(

mkmkmk

In the zone
@Choto Cheeta ..thanks for it.if budget will allow me i will thinko of TFT.I Got amd and intel config now lets see whats available here.

why u said..."where as if you can take a bit risk, cosider ATi HD 2600 and then use firmware flash to softmod it to a firegl version"
pls clear it ..i dont want to softmod or anykind of mod .wanna stable system.

OP
Choto Cheeta

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
choto from where did u get the price of Q9450

all prices are Kolkata street price :)

why u said..."where as if you can take a bit risk, cosider ATi HD 2600 and then use firmware flash to softmod it to a firegl version"
pls clear it ..i dont want to softmod or anykind of mod .wanna stable system.

FireGL is an ATi version of performance card meant for CAD apps running work station, now soft mod means, you load the firmware of another version in your present card to make it work like that one...

Having said that the new card should be able to have a close config as the firmware which you are loading...

in this case, its been seen that HD 2600 XT is very much similer to FireGL versions hence that firmware works pretty ok in this main stream card :)

prasath_digit

prasath->loves(APPLE);
I have an ASUS M2N-MX mobo, currently i have a 7600GT, i'd like to upgrade to a Palit ATI Radeon HD 4850 Sonic. I heard tat this is PCI-E 2.0 Spec, Can i use it on my mobo?. I think my mobo is PCI-E 1.0 Spec, Do i have to upgrade my mobo if i wanna use the HD4850?.

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
I have an ASUS M2N-MX mobo, currently i have a 7600GT, i'd like to upgrade to a Palit ATI Radeon HD 4850 Sonic. I heard tat this is PCI-E 2.0 Spec, Can i use it on my mobo?. I think my mobo is PCI-E 1.0 Spec, Do i have to upgrade my mobo if i wanna use the HD4850?.

It can work on both PCI-E 1.0 and PCI-E 2.0.

The only difference will be the speed. It will run slightly slow on PCI-E 1.0 but the difference is not much.

mkmkmk

In the zone

FireGL is an ATi version of performance card meant for CAD apps running work station, now soft mod means, you load the firmware of another version in your present card to make it work like that one...

Having said that the new card should be able to have a close config as the firmware which you are loading...

in this case, its been seen that HD 2600 XT is very much similer to FireGL versions hence that firmware works pretty ok in this main stream card :)

Thanks for clearing it...

tkin

Back to school!!

Hey Choto Cheeta.Do you know the price of Asus P5Q in Kolkata?

icebags

Technomancer
acewin is correct. DG33FBC is sh1t. Get the MSI-P35 Neo-F for 5k.

The prices are definetly high.

Consider the Zotac 9600GT which the most VFM card. 2GB RAM will suffice.

Get the C2Q.

Ummm, i have always wondered whats the noticeable difference between these two mobos ?:confused:

Well i wanna keep my budget under 40k.. and i play games like NFS series, COD4, Gears of war, and UT3.. well my current pc cant play all of 'em but i have xbox360 and i usually game on it.. but since 360's game are very costly (and since i have to buy originals) .. i prefer pc games..

anyways here's the price list..
Q6600 -> 9400/-
E8200 -> 7300/-
Intel DG33FBC- 5050/-
VIP Cabinet ->1900/-
Seagate 500Gb hdd - 3975/-
4gb transcend 667mhz - 1950*2
4gb transcend 800mhz - 2400*2
19" viewsonic 8850/-
logitech combo 710/-
9600GT - 8550/-
8600GT - 4800/-

plz suggest alternate motherboards with prices and what changes can i make?

E8400, 8500 > Q6600, Q6700 in most cases unless u want 2 extra cores.

EXXXX --> 45nm, more fsb, more horse power.

Last edited:

tkin

Back to school!!
Ummm, i have always wondered whats the noticeable difference between these two mobos ?:confused:

E8400, 8500 > Q6600, Q6700 in most cases unless u want 2 extra cores.

EXXXX --> 45nm, more fsb and faster.
Not necessarily, applications like Archivers(eg-7zip),Video converters that can use more than two threads efficiently will show better performance in Q6xxx series.Games and other applications that are single or dual threaded will gain edge with E8xxx series.So choice depends on type of use mostly.Best to go for Q9xxx series for a bit extra $$.:D

@mkmkmk

As far as I know, you are in need for a CAD system at Rs. 40k...

Few basic things to remember while making a CAD work station is Core would matter in those apps, hence C2Q seems good choice !!! next major thing is the GPU, compare to a main stream system, graphics GPUs are bit different !!! for example, nvidia FX series but then again they would cost more the 40k then self...

Personally I would suggest some thing with more vRAM, like 8600 GT along with 512 MB DDR2 would be good for CAD based work station, where as if you can take a bit risk, cosider ATi HD 2600 and then use firmware flash to softmod it to a firegl version :D

So basically take a look at bellow platform...

Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ Rs. 12200 /- + VAT
MSI P45 Neo - F @ Rs. 6500 /- + VAT
XFX 8600 GT 512 MB / Ati HD 2600 XT @ Rs. 5500 /- + VAT
4 GB (2 GB x 2) Corsier 667 MHz @ Rs. 4200 /- + VAT
160 GB SATA @ Rs. 1800 /- + VAT
DVD RW (IDE) @ Rs. 1100 /- + VAT
Any Cabinet @ Rs. 650 /- + VAT
Zebronics / Powersafe / ColorSit 500 Watts @ Rs. 1800 /- + VAT
Any Local Keyboard Mouse @ Rs. 400 /- + VAT
UPS @ Rs. 1400 /- + VAT

TAX @ 4% Rs. 1422/-
Total Rs. 36972/-

So that leaves near about Rs. 3k free for your display personally I would suggest, right now stick with a 17" CRT which is Rs. 4k at max (LG 700E) so make sure you buy a solid core system :)

You can always add some more HDD or buy a better display letter, where as your system core would stay same for longer period of time !!!!

thanks

:shock::shock::shock:
Are you sure??
ITwares list Q9450 at 17,300/- Are you talking about Q9300?

Last edited:

icebags

Technomancer
Not necessarily, applications like Archivers(eg-7zip),Video converters that can use more than two threads efficiently will show better performance in Q6xxx series.Games and other applications that are single or dual threaded will gain edge with E8xxx series.So choice depends on type of use mostly.Best to go for Q9xxx series for a bit extra $$.:D

:shock::shock::shock:
Are you sure??
ITwares list Q9450 at 17,300/- Are you talking about Q9300?

thats exactly what i said, if applications are core hungry, then Q6XXX will perform better , except some cases where FSB @ 1066 will pose as bottleneck.:cool: (imagine 2 cores at max and lotta data transfer going on)

Q9300 has 6M cache only, - its gonna lag soon when quads come cheaper. next quads all have double amount of cache.

i m gonna say time isnt ripe yet to get an all round quad atm.:(

thelordrrulzzz

The Burning Curse
Help needed in upgrading my current config.

Hello digitians,
I have a 3.5 year old PC and recently i discovered that i have a 512Mb SDRAM:(, no idea if its DDR1 or not but i think that 90% its not. Plus its a very old config which i badly want to upgrade.

Here's the plan which i intend to follow-
1] Processor E8400/E8300/E8200 (highly confused in this area) (someone plse help me in selecting a proper processor) (Rs 8k)
2] Intel P35 or an equivalent chipset(mobo) (Rs 5k)
3] WD Sata HDD 500Gb (Rs 3300/-)
4] 2Gb DDR-II RAM (Rs 1850)
5] A decent Zebronics cabinet with atleast 450W SMPS. (Rs 3k)
Total Cost - Rs 21k (approx)
That the max budget which i have unless if i get some more cash by selling off my old crap....
Note: Some of the above prices are found out from prime ABGB's web site and others are rough estimtes.

The old config has is as follows-
1] Intel 845G chipset (mobo)
2] 512Mb SDRAM
3] 80Gb(master) + 250Gb(slave) Seagate HDD
4] XFX Nvidia fx5200 AGP graphics card
5] Lastly Samsung Syncmaster 793s 17" CRT monitor.
I am ready to sell off this entire configuration except for the HDD's:D
Slightly off topic, any idea how much returns will i get for this old one??

Some help in selecting the best of the components in my budget for me would be highly appreciated. Please need some urgent advice on this matter.
Thanks.
Regards:smile:

prasath_digit

prasath->loves(APPLE);
Hi guys, after a lot of confusion, I decided on the final spec, here it is:-

- Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
- ASUS P5Q (Intel P45 Chipset)
- Transcend 4GB DDR2 800Mhz RAM(2GB x 2)
- Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4870 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E 2.0
- Lite-On DVD writer
- Viewsonic VG2230wm (22'inch WideScreen)
- Logitech Desktop Set
- Cooler Master Stacker 832 SE ( Full Tower )
- Cooler Master Real Power Pro 650W

Any better suggestions?, Also can u tell me how this will roughly cost? Thanx :)

abhipal

Journeyman
Hello Friends I want to buy a new CPU upto 20 +-2K and need help on that.

Processor : Intel core 2duo/ 2quad

Is there noticeable performance difference between core 2 duo (E8200 and E8400) and core 2 quad (Q6600, Q6700 and Q9300)? Are the qual core processors a real quad core or is it the old double dual core processor? I am realy confused regading duo and quad, Which to buy?

Motherboard : Don't know, but one with integrated gfx card

Is there any motherboard with integrated Gfx card which can be used for game play little above than casual (Like Doom3, crisis, Diablo3)? Are the Intel original motherboard any good? Is their onboard GPU any good? I cuttently have D101GGC motherboard which have ATI 200 onboard GPU and I can play NFS MW, Carbon, Farcry, Rainbow 6 - Lockdown, Age 3 without any problem. Will these games run on G31, G33, G43 or G45? Does anybody have any personal experience? I don't want to invest in gfx card right now.

Ram : 2x1GB DDR2-800 corsair

PSU : Don't know, but with atleast 6 power supply pins i.e I must be able to connect 5HDD + 1DVD Writer.

Cabinet : iBall Gamer

DVD Writer : Sony / LG

If you feel that you have better configuration for me then feel free to post.

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
Re: Help needed in upgrading my current config.

Hello digitians,
I have a 3.5 year old PC and recently i discovered that i have a 512Mb SDRAM:(, no idea if its DDR1 or not but i think that 90% its not. Plus its a very old config which i badly want to upgrade.

Here's the plan which i intend to follow-
1] Processor E8400/E8300/E8200 (highly confused in this area) (someone plse help me in selecting a proper processor) (Rs 8k)
2] Intel P35 or an equivalent chipset(mobo) (Rs 5k)
3] WD Sata HDD 500Gb (Rs 3300/-)
4] 2Gb DDR-II RAM (Rs 1850)
5] A decent Zebronics cabinet with atleast 450W SMPS. (Rs 3k)
Total Cost - Rs 21k (approx)
That the max budget which i have unless if i get some more cash by selling off my old crap....
Note: Some of the above prices are found out from prime ABGB's web site and others are rough estimtes.

The old config has is as follows-
1] Intel 845G chipset (mobo)
2] 512Mb SDRAM
3] 80Gb(master) + 250Gb(slave) Seagate HDD
4] XFX Nvidia fx5200 AGP graphics card
5] Lastly Samsung Syncmaster 793s 17" CRT monitor.
I am ready to sell off this entire configuration except for the HDD's:D
Slightly off topic, any idea how much returns will i get for this old one??

Some help in selecting the best of the components in my budget for me would be highly appreciated. Please need some urgent advice on this matter.
Thanks.
Regards:smile:

E8400 + MSI P35 Neo-F + Transcend 2GB DDR2 800MHz RAM + WD Caviar 640GB HDD + Zebronics Krish + CM500W PSU :).

And if you need a GPU, take a look at Palit 9600GSO 384MB GDDR3. Nice budget solution.

Hi guys, after a lot of confusion, I decided on the final spec, here it is:-

- Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
- ASUS P5Q (Intel P45 Chipset)
- Transcend 4GB DDR2 800Mhz RAM(2GB x 2)
- Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4870 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E 2.0
- Lite-On DVD writer
- Viewsonic VG2230wm (22'inch WideScreen)
- Logitech Desktop Set
- Cooler Master Stacker 832 SE ( Full Tower )
- Cooler Master Real Power Pro 650W

Any better suggestions?, Also can u tell me how this will roughly cost? Thanx :)

Awesome man! Config is really nice.

Last edited:
Help me with these questions!

Please provide solutions for the following:

1. for a gaming system - what weightage should be given among the following
a. processor - how much percentage weightage
b. motherboard - how much percentage weightage
c. graphics card - how much percentage weightage

2. when selecting a processor, which should be given priority
a. frequency (or)
b. FSB (or)
c. L2 cache

3. what is hybrid graphics, can it be substituted with an high end graphics card. (or play any game in maximum settings)

4. if i can play games at a very high settings using hybrid graphics, what configuration should i go for.

5. How to compute FSB : DRAM ratio, what is its importance (in simple terms please)

Thank you.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
1) Get the best processor and Graphics card that you can buy. Get a mobo that has good overclocking potential and stable chipset
2) Frequency+FSB. I don't care much about Cache. A 1333MHz FSB proccy easily beats a 1066MHz FSB proccy. There are more to consider about proccy like die size coz the smaller the die size is the better the processor wattage is and more potential for overclocking
3) Hybrid graphcis means that you can use onboard GPU + PCIe GPU work together in Crossfire/SLI mode.
4) You can never beat a high end graphics card :) but hybrid graphics setup with high end graphics gets you more FPS's out of games
5) better go through overclocking tutorial for this

*www.compunamics.com/overclocking.htm

Last edited:
1) Get the best processor and Graphics card that you can buy. Get a mobo that has good overclocking potential and stable chipset
4) You can never beat a high end graphics card :) but hybrid graphics setup with high end graphics gets you more FPS's out of games
]

1. can you tell me what configuration i can go for if i want hybrid graphics.

2. does using hybrid graphics reduce my power consumption when not playing games.

OP
Choto Cheeta

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
@abhipal

Why it has to be Intel ?? Why not AMD, as AMD would give far better performance under your budget allowing a X4 along side of HD 3200 onboard graphics !!!!

AMD Phenom X4 9550 @ Rs. 7700 /- + VAT
GigaBite GA-MA78GM-S2H (Onboard ATi HD3200) @ Rs. 4400 /- + VAT
2 GB DDR-II 667 Corsier (1 GB x2) @ Rs. 2100 /- + VAT
DVD RW IDE LG @ Rs. 1050 /- + VAT
iBall Gamer without PSU @ Rs. 1500 /- + VAT
Cooler Master 600 eXtreme @ Rs. 3200 /- + VAT

TAX @ 4% Rs. 798 /-
Total Rs. 20748 /-

See HD 3200 is far better than any available Intel onboard solution !!! where as Cooler Master 600 watts is a really good PSU which would make sure at-least u never have to worrey about PSU no matter ho many accessories you add :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom