Basic guide for the right power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Alright .. get whatever your budget permits but keep in mind whatever your rig might consume with upgraded/added components it's always better to go in for a higher spec PSU - say your whole rig will consume around ~500w and to be safe go for a PSu which can deliver 600-650w ;-)

BTW, there's two more PSus you might consider ie Corsair TX650v2 @ ~5.5k or TX750v2 @ ~6.2k

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
I would like to point attention to FSP Aurum series.. They are really great PSU but when it comes to FSP we only limit to Saga 2 500w..

The Aurum series is really great

Also the reviews are great...

*www.hardwaresecrets.chttp://www.xb...lay/fsp-aurum-psu_5.html#sect0om/article/FSP-
Aurum-Gold-700-Power-Supply-Review/1228/10

FSP AURUM GOLD AU-700 Power Supply Review - Test Results & Final Thoughts :: TweakTown Mobile

FSP Aurum 600 Watt 80+ Gold Power Supply

FSP Aurum Power Supply Unit Series: in Chase of Gold. Page 5 - X-bit labs

rajnusker

Sage of the Six Paths
@sumesara Price in India? Its not modular. If its priced right, then it is a good competitor to the AX750. But if I were to choose between them, I would prefer Modular one.

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
i will check for price in few cities and will post... the word from FSP is that it is available in India.. need to check with local seller...

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would like to point attention to FSP Aurum series.. They are really great PSU but when it comes to FSP we only limit to Saga 2 500w..

The Aurum series is really great

Also the reviews are great...

*www.hardwaresecrets.chttp://www.xb...lay/fsp-aurum-psu_5.html#sect0om/article/FSP-
Aurum-Gold-700-Power-Supply-Review/1228/10

FSP AURUM GOLD AU-700 Power Supply Review - Test Results & Final Thoughts :: TweakTown Mobile

FSP Aurum 600 Watt 80+ Gold Power Supply

FSP Aurum Power Supply Unit Series: in Chase of Gold. Page 5 - X-bit labs

great find ..

here's the e-bay price of FSP Aurum :

FSP Aurum | eBay

but at those price are they really VFM - I think better alternatives are available.

local availability would be just great as the prices might come down then ;-)

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
I checked with Prime for FSP PSU and they only have Saga II series.. And don't stock any other FSP PSU...

Will check with FSP as they need to make sure for the availability....

We can hope for a good compition if Aurum is available at good price and this may reduce the price for other also.....

Will post again

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
it would be great if anyone can find and confirm the availability ( price too ) of Corsair TX M series PSUs ;-)

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
I don't know I'd anyone shared this earlier...

But this article is very good

80 PLUS Gold: Four Efficient 700-850 W Power Supplies : 80 PLUS Gold Versus Mass-Produced Generics

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Check these out ;-)

Corsair TX550M Power Supply Review | Hardware Secrets
Corsair TX550M 550W Review
Corsair TX550M Modular Power Supply Review :: TweakTown USA Edition
Corsair TX550M Power Supply Review by VR-Zone.com

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
Yes when it comes to corsair, you always have good product...

Hope they also enter Graphic card and Mobo market also.....m

OP
The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Yes when it comes to corsair, you always have good product.
That's generalization and that's best if its avoided- even if a company makes good stuff. There are power supplies better than corsair, but the strong selling point is the availability, most models being good enough and a good RMA track record for the time being.

As far as good product label goes, CX400 is better than CX430. Newer VX450s have degraded considerably. Honestly, I would overlook gaming series. Relying on a brand is dangerous and its best if its not encouraged as a habit. There was a time people used to say the same thing for coolermaster power supplies- and that was not long time ago. I remember few guys here arguing about how VX450 is much better than CM Extreme 600w units in this forum itself- and they were still stubborn enough to risk other people's system by recommending it to them without even doing a proper search. Avoid generalisation- even service. There are times where a group of people leave a company with good track record all of a sudden- and then it takes time to slowly see the degrade of service and RMA, then slowly availability.

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
I am not saying to be brand loyal....... Corsair has showed they are serious about indian market....... Hence better service and porduct....

There are more better product than corsair... But they either not available or the service issue...

At end of the we all need better VFM so no point in Being brand loyal take whatever is the best in your budget....

jeetu

Broken In
My 2 Cooler Master Real power Pro 460W (80+ Breonze) are still running fine. I noticed they give around 11.8-11.9V instead 12V when my 9600GT is pushed to limit. However i never faced any restart issue or graphic corruption even with Crysis.
I needed 2 more comps build however CMRPP 460W was nowwhere in sight. So based on review of sites like Johnnyguru and similar i got Corsair CX430.V2 (80+) and Seasonic 520 S2 (80+ Bronze) , I field tested both with my 9600GT , these 2 PSU hold up fine. They gave steady 12V. Time will tell how reliable they really.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ these two are good psu - you can run more powerful gfx card with Cx430v2 and even more powerful gfx card with Seasonic S1211 520w ;-)

jeetu

Broken In
^^ these two are good psu - you can run more powerful gfx card with Cx430v2 and even more powerful gfx card with Seasonic S1211 520w ;-)

I know but i get little overpowered PSU. What's the best Graphic Card can be bought which doesn't push PSU over 80% of total load ?
Presently rest of my specs are - Core I3 540 , 2*2gb value ram , 2 Sata Hdd , 2 Dvdrw. 2*120mm fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom