Super Moderator
Staff member
Re: AMD Llano discussion

AMD Llano mobile to launch on 14th of June

J

Joker

AMD: Llano Is An Intel Shocker

APU smashed new IGP world records with Gigabyte A75M-UD2H ( 3Dvantage P6160 igp )

agreeing with a comment... "No more shi*tty intel HD2000/3000, nvidia GT220/420/430, that HD6555 oblitarates them all."

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

i hope the intel fanboys agree to it & these low on budget go for performance parts rather than jumping for the Intel stickers.

and this was expected. they are integrating lowend graphics GPU straight into the processor die. won't be surprised if ivy bridge fall short of that mark.

OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member

APU smashed new IGP world records with Gigabyte A75M-UD2H ( 3Dvantage P6160 igp )
This is how a real leak looks like. :p and I'm pretty sure that guy won't get samples anymore. lol.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...

Wow thats terrific. Now its not mandatory to jump in for a discrete card rightaway. One can actually enjoy the apu performance and go for a a discrete gpu when either budget permits or wait for a good enough solution to arrive that is worthy of an upgrade.

Now budget buyers can enjoy seamless graphics and gaming wich was previously impossible.I've even heard that the on-die gpu can also assist the cpu in performing x86 operations ( not sure) & will also enable a hybrid crossfire with the dedicated gpu plugged in the pci-e.

@ Sam

Yes even ivybridge gpu may fall short of this kind of performance unless some drastic changes are made to the underlying gpu architecture.

WELL DONE AMD :thumbs:

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare

Another thing is that unlike Intel, integrated GPU in Llano can wok on Hybrid Crossfire Mode when dedicated card of roughly same performance level has been plugged. It may be a HD6570, HD6670, HD5670 or HD6570. So adding just a entry level GPU like HD 6670 or HD5670, significant performance boost can be achieved due to Hybrid Crossfire.
This is possible since the GPU is integrated with the CPU with internal communication channel as a heterogeneous core itself whereas Intel use the PCI Express Bus to communicate with IGP.

OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Re: AMD Llano "fusion" discussion

2011 AMD Notebook Platform

These are coming out tomorrow as per my calculations. :p

Update @ today:

Reviews of the mobile platform are out.

Like expected, A8-3500M falls behind in the CPU front. And also like expected, wins at gaming and wins at battery life.

*media.bestofmicro.com/M/K/296300/original/Power%20-%203DMark.png
i5-2520QM has ~2x power consumption at load compared to A8-3500M.

add a discrete graphic card to Intel Core i5-2520M, expect more performance on the cost of worse battery life.

Dual Graphics "crossfire" needs driver fixing though. Would be done by the time notebooks start shipping.

OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member

Here's the full review: The AMD A8-3500M APU Review: Llano Is Unleashed - AMD’s Gambit

They uploaded the review on the Desktop site too for 5 minutes, but then removed it. Still Under NDA, I guess. :p Wait for 9:30am.

J

Joker

nice...really impressed with battery performance. major win for 28-40k notebooks. u might say cpu performance is short, but gaming & great battery life makes up for it. when u buy a laptop, battery life is a major cocnern.

amd has lined up 3 different architectures this year: brazos, llano and bulldozer. i hope bulldozer is competitive.

OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member

Here is the Desktop preview: AnandTech - The Llano Desktop Preview: AMD A8-3850 CPU & GPU Performance

Pretty much an Athlon II X4 645/Core i3-2100 like the review said. And great IGP performance.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

performance isn't anything to talk about, even on 32nm. graphics performance is good. now only thing left is sensible pricing & not the overpriced rate of Brazos.

but really surprised that even after die shrink & increased (double) L2 cache the performance in the cpu front is same as 45nm K10s.

OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member

^^ comparing with their old mobile Phenom II X2 N660, there is an improvement. Real CPU improvement will be when they launch Bulldozer + Radeon fusion i.e. Trinity.

At the end of the day, I'll sum this up like this:

Core i5-2520M humiliates A8-3500M in CPU performance. And A8-3500M humiliates Core i5-2520M IGP performance + wins bigtime in battery/power consumption when you are actually gaming.

If they are going to put these stickers and market these extensively, they will sell. No doubt.
*i.imgur.com/TPv2X.jpg

vickybat

I am the night...I am...

Considering pure cpu performance, its no match for current sandybridge cpu's. A quad core is often beaten by sandybridge dual core i3 2100.

So its going to be hit with a select set of customers who don't want anything more than the igp and currently that set is pretty high in india.

So amd might be all set in achieving some milestones in terms of processor sales.

This is strictly speaking in a desktop context. But on laptops, we have to see how much extra battery life it actually delivers. I will be interested if these can actually beat an i3 2310 + radeon 6470m combo in terms of pure performance and deliver significant battery life.. Dell is currently providing its inspiron line @ 36k all.

Anyway guys here is the review:

Source- tomshardware

Okay guys i have summed up quite a few things about llano which i like to share :

Frankly speaking, in terms of processor technology (fabrication, performance per watt, & pure number crunching performance), amd is almost a generation behind intel. The core i3 2100 beating a phenom 2 955 be in almost all benchmarks is a testament to this fact.
Amd themseves said that its almost impossible to beat intel in a fabrication point of view. So they decided to use their strength which incidently was intel's weakness & planned to capitalize on that. Out comes llano amd's newest kid which has promised a lot in terms of overall performance with some exceptional power mangement. So what is llano?

*img690.imageshack.us/img690/4844/apuandfusioncontrollerh.jpg

Llano is basically consists of 2-4 x86 cores + Graphics shader cores + Northbridge + FCH( fusion control hub a.k.a southbridge) all packed in one die. Amd calls this FUSION.
Now lets discuss the individual elements:

Cpu side:

*img59.imageshack.us/img59/5940/llanocpudieblocks.jpg

Basically llano's x86 cores are based on amd's previous k10 architecure employed in its phenom 2 and athlon 2 cpu's. Architecturally, they are same but llano cores have a 32nm fabrication process. Not only this but the l3 cache has been completely stripped down and l2 cache is doubled to 4mb. Now each core gets a dedicated 1mb l2 cache.

Amd claims that the cores give 6% more performance than the earlier ones owing to larger cache and an efficient hardware prefetcher. The prefetcher actually loads intructions into the processor cache for computation. AMD enhanced the prefetcher intelligence with Instruction Pointer (IP)-based prefetching. IP understands the instructions accessing the memory and finds a specific pattern and load the instructions in the cache accordingly. The buffer sizes are also made larger.

All these things give an overall 6% IPC (instruction per clock) performance to llano's computational abilities over its predecessors.

Gpu side:

*img641.imageshack.us/img641/8383/llanofusiona8kh29622513.jpg

The gpu part is based on discrete class radeon 5570 (redwood) following the vliw5 architecture. Its codenamed SUMO and though its similar to redwood, has fewer displayports and uvd3 instead of uvd2. But amd has a small trick up its sleeve which they call dual graphics.

This enables the on-die sumo gpu to for a bond with another discrete level radeon gpu and work in tandem. Its simply a crossfire but the fact is there need not be similarities in the gpu's architecture. Disimilar gpu's can also work together. For eg. a 6620g (apu) + 6630m (discrete gpu) will form 6690G2 (dual graphics). The llano apu' can also handle opencl codes which the traditional sandybridge cpu's cannot process on their own and needs a discrete gpu. But in a real world performance pov, the dual mode is actually having a performance drop and will be rectified in future driver releases. Another worth mentioning is that dual graphics mode work better in dx10 and dx11 mode only.

Apu:

There's something that differs llano from sandybridge cpu's and prevents them to be called a s FUSION parts. They are internal communication methods employed within llano.

There are five main components of Llano that have to communicate with each other: the CPU complex, the GPU complex, the northbridge, the traditional I/O block, and the DDR memory I/O block.

*img684.imageshack.us/img684/3264/llanonorthbridgeplumbin.jpg

Now we've seen cpu- northbridge interconnect before and its no different here. What's the difference here then?

That is two all new buses that are present between gpu - northbridge and cpu. The first one is called as RADEON BUS which allows the gpu to have full access and bandwidth to system memory. It kind of provides a priority access for high bandwidth operations.

Second one is the most important and is responsible for this chip to be termed fusion. Its the FCL ( fusion compute link) which allows the gpu to access the cpu cache minimizing bottlenecks. Previously, this communication was made possible using pci-e links. This also lends a big hand towards power efficiency.

Turbo core also finds its implementation here but slightly differs here than previous iterations because of the extra gpu here. Amd incorporated a hw module here called the APM (advanced power management). This consists of a p-state and a p-state manager.When its finds that there's more headroom, the state changes to p-boost and the clock speeds are incremented. But the gpu's clocks cannot be incremented but can only be decremented depending on the chips tdp levels.

Amd steady video

Here's an interesting result of amd's APP ( accelerated parallel processing) initiative and can be achieved using llano. Let's say you'sre shooting a marriage ceremony with a handycam. Now the human arm is prone to shakes and is never steady. This results in a shaky video. Now amd's steady video fixes all that and makes the resulting video completely steady for a better viewing experience. The hardware has to track video vectors and shakes, it has to compensate for the frequency of camera movement, and it has to add the missing pixels when the camera shakes off of the screen. The result is worlds better than poor source material. Now that is an innovation and amd's step towards gpgpu computing.

Performance:

Summing up the performance, the llano chip provides almost 56% more performance than a sandybridge i5 2520m with hd 3000 graphics in gpu intensive games. But with cpu intensive titles like dragon age origins, llano and sandy are neck and neck and we can owe this to llano's much weaker cpu.

In pure number crunching performance, again intel's sandybridge chips crush llano in almost all synthetic tests. Same can be said on productivity tests like winrar , 7zip etc.

Tom's hardware content creation tests also gave the same results with the entire adobe suite, blender and cinebench. Although llano was a bit better in the cinebench test which uses the gpu to show smooth viewport fps.

Even in media encoding tasks, sandybridge dual cores are well ahead. Remember that these are purely cpu intensive and intel even beats llano without using quicksync.

Though llano employs app ( accelerated parallel processing) to speed up computation in video encoding tasks by using its internal shader cores, its no match for intel's cpu based encoding and decoding. Turning quicksync on, turns up the heat and simply blows everything out of the water.

When it comes to content viewing, llano score more over sandybridge's igp when watching an hd movie. We can owe that to llano's superior gpu core. Though intel handle noise and skin tones quite nicely, it was poor in 2:2 Film Resolution cadence support, substandard contrast enhancement, and terrible chroma up-sampling and scaling performance.

So enabling video filters are better in llano than on sandybridge's igp. But a sandybridge + discrete gpu will do everything easily in the expense of battery performance.

Coming down to power, llano is a winner. A llano apu based laptop gave almost an hour extra backup than a sandybridge based laptop having intel hd graphics only. Now this is a big plus in the laptop community.

Ultimately it comes down to usage patterns to pick one. LLano shows strong gpu performance and sandybridge shows strong cpu performance. Ofcourse we know sandybridge when paired with a discrete gpu turns things around but sacrifices on power and battery. So llano can attributed with a decently specced system capable of giving a balanced performance with some exceptional battery performance. The only thing its lacking now is the cpu side performance but expect bulldozer based trinity cores to fix them.

In the end, fusion is the future of computing , a breakthrough technology and the start of a whole new era in the world of microprocessors.

In other words, its just the beginning.:smile:

Last edited:

Machinehead

Broken In

new to the forum guys.
plz be easy on me..........

WELL put Vicki bat,

though amd lacks in cpu performa it can well compensate it with the 400 core gpu, i presume they've named it 6620 this time with the A8. it is quite obvious that amd has shown a par performance with intel 2500 n 2300 based processors. power is n added improvement,u'd even have to consider the 4 core dimensions...coz application utilizng all the cores wuld run better on the llano.

i'd like some processors hitting the market soon. i dont think the intel's mkt share is going to be affected in anyway though.

OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member

Surely it is much faster than 56% if you crank up the settings and resolution. Not to mention DX 11 support over Intel HD 3000. For those who want to only game with exceptional battery life, this is the best thing which has happened all these years. i7-2630QM + GT 540M = 55k+. A8-3500M = (assuming 35k)

*images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph4444/38918.png (CPU intensive)

*images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph4444/38917.png

*images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph4444/38923.png

*images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph4444/38930.png

*images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph4444/38926.png

But the point is, the APU is bandwidth starved if we talk about memory.

In all fairness, I have no idea why Anandtech used DDR3 1333Mhz RAM overclocked to 1866Mh in their desktop preview. Should have used 1866Mhz RAM straightaway. The higher the memory is clocked, the faster APU's IGP performs.

J

Joker

AMD Llano Fusion - AMD's Llano Fusion - A Series APUs | [H]ard|OCP

vickybat

I am the night...I am...

^^ Impressive review. Tremendous gpu performance & will be the platform of choice in the 35-40k mark.

The dual card mode is fantastic and further driver optimizations will lead to much better performance in future.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard

The thing is, all these benchmarks and encoding, a VERY TINY percentage of people actually give a crap about these, all they care is price, portability and battery life.

And this llano I feel will give perfectly. Even 11-14 year olds, they'll play Counter Strike or at the most NFS(where intel will fail them most probably), and for them, Llano is exceptionally good, almost like god's gift.

Reactions: ico

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here

that is exactly what i wanted to say comp@ddict. Now for once amd has to strike proper deals with oems so that they advertise their product instead of intel's

Top Bottom