AMD Llano (fusion) mobile discussion

Re: AMD Llano discussion

[YouTube] AMD Llano demo (leaked) - Llano vs Sandy Bridge [AMD wins, CPU & GPU!]]

[YOUTUBE]1YfRh1FBkI4[/YOUTUBE]

Notice that one of the apps running in the video is HyperPi, a very CPU-intensive app... and AMD APPEARS TO BE AHEAD by some 1m digits. If I am seeing this right and am not in any way being fooled, AMD's Llano, which is only tweaked Phenom II architecture, is beating Intel Sandy Bridge with nearly half the clockspeed and half the thread count. And in an app that AMD normally loses in.

That's right, the Phenom II architecture scaled down to 32nm (with no L3 cache) at half the speed of Intel's newest SB architecture, and with half the amount of threads as well, is WINNING.

The GPU of course wins, it's 5670-class power vs 5450-class power as previously known.

If this is good, wait till Bulldozer, that's going to win even more. :D

Cilus

laborare est orare

Guys, another thing amout AMD's APU...what I was hoping for long.

In all the current generation fusion units where CPU and GPU die are integrated into a single die, the GPU won't work if an external GPU is plugged...at least not simultaneously.

But in Llano, at least for some of the models, the APU can assist the AMD 6000 series GPU in processing.

Here is the quote from wikipedia

Select models will support TurboCore technology along with a hybrid graphics technology that will allow the GPUs of select A-series APUs to assist a discrete graphics card in graphics processing, when paired with a Northern Islands (Radeon HD 6000 series) discrete graphics card. This is similar to the current Hybrid CrossFireX technology that is available in the select AMD 700 and 800 series chipsets.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

it'll be better if they allow something like Discrete GPU - integrated GPU switching that can make the external GPU to clock down to idle as completely turning off isn't an option i guess.

or say when there is video encoding going on, switch to integrated GPU & when gaming or heavy task, switch to external GPU.

J

Joker

*i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/news2/AMD-Llano-On-Die-GPU-Gets-Benchmarked-Deliver-Staggering-Performance-3.jpg

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

a bit about the resolution would have been more helpful still this is enough. everyone should keep an eye on the A4. it should replace the Athlon II X4s.

OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member

I have no doubt that these will be a hit with OEMs and ~25k configs.

baccilus

Cyborg Agent

I have no doubt that these will be a hit with OEMs and ~25k configs.

They will surely be a hit in other parts of the world. You can't say the same for India. Everyone is fixated upon Intel here.

utkarsh009

In the zone

They will surely be a hit in other parts of the world. You can't say the same for India. Everyone is fixated upon Intel here.

this is Really very very bad. amd should advertise their products even more. even the computer manufacturers only advertise their products which have latest Intel processors

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here

According to Donanimhaber, AMD’s top mobile processor for 2011 will be the Fusion A8-3530MX, a 32nm quad-core with a base clock of 1.9GHz. With Turbo, the new processor can hit 2.6GHz and it features HD 6620G graphics. At 444MHz the graphics core might not seem very fast, considering that the HD 6310 used in Brazos processors runs at 500MHz, it is worth noting that the 6620G packs 400 shaders, while the 6310 has just 80.

The A8-3530MX will use AMD’s new FS1 package and its TDP is 45W, which is pretty much the norm for high-end mobile processors. The new processor will support DDR3 up to 1600MHz and it will be available with A60M and A70M chipsets, which are very similar, but the latter offers USB 3.0 connectivity.

More mobile Llano specs leaked

vickybat

I am the night...I am...

^^looks good on paper but the pricing will be a huge decider.Besides, it also has to oust a similarly priced and spec based sandybridge notebooks.

Lets say you can get a sandybridge notebook with an i3 2310 or i5 2410 processor and dedicated nvidia gt 540 graphics @ 30-45k pricerange. If llano can best this in performance, then it will be a hit.

Last edited:

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here

its not just abt performance with llano , its also abt being power efficient which it will definitely be compared to a discrete gfx card

J

Joker

its not just abt performance with llano , its also abt being power efficient which it will definitely be compared to a discrete gfx card
yes. battery life is a huge deciding factor in laptops. and discrete gfx = more power consumption.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...

True but discrete graphics are starting to become more and more power efficient with the advent of newer architectures and smaller fabrication. Lets wait & see how much battery life llano provides as compared to the above sandybridge notebooks i mentioned.

I recon the difference won't be significant and therefore performance and pricing will be the decider.

J

Joker

u see llano is 32nm SOI. ;) both amd and nvidia discrete gfx are at 40nm at the moment. architecturally, llano has hd 6000 series gfx.

J

Joker

AMD Llano A6-3400M, A4-3300M and E2-3000M APUs Pictured - Softpedia

J

Joker

[H]ard|OCP - Leaked AMD Fusion Strategy Guide

Top Bottom