AMD Llano (fusion) mobile discussion

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
[youtube]mdPi4GPEI74[/youtube]

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

Note: This video has been uploaded by AMD, so take it with a pinch of a salt.

Llano = optimized Phenom II + HD 6620M (?)

And two mobile platforms are being compared in the video. I don't think Llano would come close to Core i7-2630QM in crunching numbers (CPU power), but if a laptop with this thing is sold at 40k and you're looking for a gaming laptop - it might be _the_ thing to get just like Zacate is.

Piyush

Lanaya
Re: AMD Compares Llano and Sandy Bridge in Video

well 40 k is difficult
but who knows
AMD is better in this area
they can surprise us all by their sweet pricing

OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member

*www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/03/11x01038b73amd.jpg

Core i7-2630QM with a discrete laptop GPU will obviously be faster, but if you look from the view point of OEM, it will be much more expensive. Basically, this thing guns for 35-50k notebooks imho.

I also expect Core i5-2xxxM + discrete GPU power consumption to be higher than the APU previewed in the video.

Piyush

Lanaya

whoa!!!
128gb SSD
thats the another reason for its prices

pauldmps

Banned

Why they are running CPU benchmarks on different chipsets & GPUs ? Isn't is totally biased ?

AMD should stick to what it does best - GPUs.

Piyush

Lanaya

^^guess what
u missed processors in ur post

OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member

Why they are running CPU benchmarks on different chipsets & GPUs ? Isn't is totally biased ?

AMD should stick to what it does best - GPUs.
The whole point they are making is about the overall performance. And they're comparing mobile platforms. It isn't a desktop platform. You need _the_ ideal blend of perfomance with battery life and power consumption.

This is a single laptop chip which contains both CPU and GPU. They aren't gunning for a high end Sandy Bridge + discrete laptop GPU.

In a few months or so, you'll see mobile Sandy Bridge Core i3/i5 processors around 40k with and without discrete graphics. AMD is gunning for them. And I'll play games on my laptop, so I know what I'll have to get.

35k - Core i3-2xxx with no discrete graphics.
40k - Core i3-2xxx with discrete graphics.
45k+ - Core i5-2xxx with discrete graphics.

Now compare these to Llano equivalents. Excellent graphics and almost as good CPU performance.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

40k is impossible for a setup like this (i7 & AMD quad core) cause even if the on-die graphics is just 2-3% slower than a HD6550, manufacturers usually will go for the card & price the laptop at 50-55k. and put up a sticker in the laptop saying "1Gb graphics card. 2gb graphics card.. etc". its not that they don't know about the slim advantage of entrylevel cards over on-processor graphics but its to convince buyers to get a laptop costing 60k that is just a few percent faster than a 40k lappy.

but i wish that every manufacturer should at least release some performance lappy with GPU & instead put up stickers like "6-7hrs batter life". it mayn't attract everyone but they'll still sell well.

also if 6620M = HD5650M, theres no need for any GPU. a laptop having that config without the SSD if priced at 45k & offers 3hrs battery life will be a good buy for most.

OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member

My whole point is, this thing is going to be much cheaper to OEMs for entry + mid-level laptops if we compare to Sandy Bridge Core i5 + discrete GPU solution. And power consumption is under great control too.

TDP of a good laptop GPU is 30w. TDP of Sandy Bridge Core i5 processors is 35w. And TDP of this APU thing is 45w.

---------- Post added at 08:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

also if 6620M = HD5650M, theres no need for any GPU. a laptop having that config without the SSD if priced at 45k & offers 3hrs battery life will be a good buy for most.
HD 6620M = HD 5650M. :mrgreen:

J

Joker

wow...good days ahead.

this could turn out to be great vfm.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist

WOW...

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

CeBIT 2011: AMD Demos Llano Behind Closed Doors : AMD Demos Mobile Llano

vickybat

I am the night...I am...

I think sandybridge+discrete gpu should be compared with llano based notebooks at the same price point.
Llano cpu cores(stars) will be no match for sandybridge but the apu's will be the difference maker.

If sandybridge(i5) + dedicated gpu is 40k and a llano based notebook is 40k, getting the sandy is a no brainer.
But sandy+discrete gpu @ 40k is too much to ask and imo, it will be more expensive than that. But we never know.

OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member

[youtube]XqBk0uHrxII[/youtube]

---------- Post added at 03:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 PM ----------

If sandybridge(i5) + dedicated gpu is 40k and a llano based notebook is 40k, getting the sandy is a no brainer.
But sandy+discrete gpu @ 40k is too much to ask and imo, it will be more expensive than that. But we never know.
Battery. :p

vickybat

I am the night...I am...

^^ That is surely a decider as far mobile computing is concerned. But i highly doubt those stars based cpu cores and even if amd optimizes them i don't think they will do a great job in power management. Atleast they are not in the level of sandybridge cpu's.

Bulldozer based fusions will be better owing to their more ground up design. But lets see what these apu's have in store for us.

If amd prices themm right, they will be a killer deal and a more viable option to intel based notebooks which had been dominating for the past decade or more.:smile:

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist

that video is superb..amd is getting back seriously :razz:..its simply awesome. and if that is so powerful than sandy what will bulldozer do!

ico that shows amd sys consuming less watts.!

vickybat

I am the night...I am...

^^ Jas its not powerful than sandy but is more power efficient. Sandy still has a lot of edge in pure number crunching performance and only bulldozer is expected to beat that.

Like i said, the apu is the difference maker here and its obviously has more rendering potential than sandy igp. Its almost a 5650m.

Sandy+ discrete gpu will be way faster than this but at the cost of tdp and price.
Lets wait and see how amd does the pricing right. That will be the difference maker.

In the high end to upper midrange laptop market, intel will still remain unbeaten until bulldozer challenges. Sandy+gtx 5series m/radeon 6series m will BE SIGNIFICANTLY FASTER.

These stars based apu's will target the entry level to lower midrange notebooks.
But that is actually the sweetspot and revenue generating market.:smile:

vickybat

I am the night...I am...

See the power of sandybridge + discrete gpu HERE.

Last edited:
Top Bottom