AMD Llano (desktop) discussion

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
AMD A8-3850 Review: Llano Rocks Entry-Level Desktops : Meet AMD’s Desktop Llano-Based Lineup

So, basically you get an Athlon II X4 640 + a very good IGP in one package. Fair deal.

Core i3-2105 might be 10% faster CPU, but Intel HD 3000 is roughly 50% of AMD HD 6550D. i3-2100 has HD 2000. 1600Mhz/1866Mhz DDR3 RAM suggested as the GPU will perform better.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Amd LLano (Fusion) Desktop discussion

Amd has finally launched llano parts for desktop ( lynx platform). They come with 100w and 65w tdp variants.

The 100w does not have turbocore feature whereas the 65w models has it. The cpu part has 4mb l2 cache i.e 1mb dedicated per core, 32nm fab and the gpu (vliw5) comes in 400 and 320 shader avatars.

At launch , there are 4 sku's :

Model | GPU | TDP | Cores | Base CPU Clock | Max. Turbo | L2 Cache | Shaders | Gpu clock | Turbo Core A8 3850 | HD 6550D | 100W | 4 | 2.9 Ghz | NA | 4Mb | 400 | 600Mhz | No A8 3800 | HD 6550D | 65W | 4 | 2.4Ghz | 2.7Ghz | 4Mb | 400 | 600Mhz | Yes A6 3650 | HD 6530D | 100W | 4 | 2.6 Ghz | NA | 4Mb | 320 | 443Mhz | No A6 3600 | HD 6530D | 65W | 4 | 2.1Ghz | 2.4Ghz | 4Mb | 320 | 443Mhz | Yes

Check the review by tomshardware.

Llano is strictly for entry level users and will actually find its place ( highly desirable) in the 20-25k systems as a complete build.

Adding a discrete gpu higher than 6670 (rebranded 5670) renders the 6550D useless and dual graphics isn't enabled. So its better off to invest in a different platform than llano for people going for a good mid range or higher discrete card lets say a 6750 or higher.

Overclocking the llano is also a big no no because the bclk is now integrated and there are no unlocked multipliers. So when bclk is raised, other bus speeds ( pci-e bus, northbridge) also increase leading to severe limitation. Overclocking it to 3.4ghz lead to problems using ssd drives. So its not an overclocking platform unless amd releases some black edition parts in which the bclk will be untouched.

But overall, the llano platform makes a very good entry level build for he masses that is capable of doing a lot that previous builds couldn't do.

Check the anandtech review here.

ASRock A75 Extreme6 Review

Last edited:

ashis_lakra

Gaming Unlimited
Re: AMD Fusion (desktop) discussion

This LLano platform is sure going to hit budget conscious consumers as they can still take a taste of games at lower res without buying a discrete graphic card.

It has become a good platform for HTPC too.. nice work AMD =)

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard

BEST review so far

65W A8-3800 v/s Core i3 2105/2100

And not the 100W A8-3850.

True Fusion: AMD A8-3800 APU Review - X-bit labs

OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Re: Amd LLano (Fusion) Desktop discussion

Overclocking it to 3.4ghz lead to problems using ssd drives.
That has to be some sort of motherboard issue which should be resolved through a firmware update.

baccilus

Cyborg Agent

I really want to know about the performance of the IGP+HD6670. Which discreet graphic card would that compare to?

comp@ddict

IGP+HD6670. Which discreet graphic card would that compare to?

on and off, sometimes worse than discrete HD6670 itself, sometimes as good as HD6750(maybe).

kamal_saran

android lover

amd and no overclocking i don't believe :D , i think a8 3850 is gonna be my favourite for my new 25k pc. . . :)

comp@ddict

amd and no overclocking i don't believe , i think a8 3850 is gonna be my favourite for my new 25k pc. . .

The A8-3850 2.9GHz and the A8-3800 2.4GHz both overclock on stock cooler to 3.5GHz. Sadly, nobody tried GPU overclocking, only higher RAM speeds.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...

on and off, sometimes worse than discrete HD6670 itself, sometimes as good as HD6750(maybe).

Nope its nowhere near 6750 now but in future it may scale well in further driver updates.

But i must say that the xbit review was pretty much open and in short was excellent. Thanks for the link.

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare

Thanks all for the updates. A long waited product has come now. The best thing I like about it is working alongside with a discrete GPU. Although currently DirectX 10 and 11 enabled Titles can use it and it is nowhere near to its driver stability, in near future I guess those issues are gonna be solved and then think of it...just plugging a HD 6670, you can basically get performance closer to a HD 6850.

Comp@ddict, +1 rep for the link

OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member

I really want to know about the performance of the IGP+HD6670. Which discreet graphic card would that compare to?
That will only work for DirectX 10/11 games. It needs driver optimizations.

You are better off using discrete graphic card in the IGP+HD 6670 case.

comp@ddict

Nope its nowhere near 6750 now but in future it may scale well in further driver updates.

But i must say that the xbit review was pretty much open and in short was excellent. Thanks for the link.

Yep the internal drivers are doing so well, I expect by the end of the year Fusion drivers to have matured, and by the time TRINITY launches, we can expect a HELL of a Product!

Thanks all for the updates. A long waited product has come now. The best thing I like about it is working alongside with a discrete GPU. Although currently DirectX 10 and 11 enabled Titles can use it and it is nowhere near to its driver stability, in near future I guess those issues are gonna be solved and then think of it...just plugging a HD 6670, you can basically get performance closer to a HD 6850.

THanks

That will only work for DirectX 10/11 games. It needs driver optimizations.

You are better off using discrete graphic card in the IGP+HD 6670 case.

Yeah it works only for DX10/11 titles , don't know why. Something to do with the API?

Thanks for the links ico and comp@ddict ;-)

BTW, any idea about price ??

135$ for A8-3850, 125$ for the best motherboard, we are looking at 260$.

Maybe 14k

kamal_saran

android lover
hey guys check this review , it's awesome, and when these chips will retail in india . :)AMD A8-3850 Llano APU Review - TechSpot Reviews

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Waiting for some mini-ITX magic. ;)

Finally an IGP good enough for 720p gaming, fair deal for a family PC.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
hey guys check this review , it's awesome, and when these chips will retail in india . :)AMD A8-3850 Llano APU Review - TechSpot Reviews

this is also my question - but we might see some APUs and mobos on this month or next month

every mobo manufacturer is ready with their A75 line up and a couple of A75 mobos is already ready to grab on newegg but where's the APU - A75 mobo buyers might have to find it on wonderland ;-)

rajan1311

Padawan
am i the only one who loves the OCing on the chips? 700MHz with no multi change, not bad for a chip like this....or I am too used to using the multi... :p

Even IGP performance gain was pretty nice...Hope the 3850 comes for around 7k...with boards starting off at 2.5-3k...

just plugging a HD 6670, you can basically get performance closer to a HD 6850.

i saw a few benchies on anadtech, still needs a lot of work, gains were minimal.... any other site did the hybrid cfire test?

comp@ddict

i saw a few benchies on anadtech, still needs a lot of work, gains were minimal.... any other site did the hybrid cfire test?

the Hybrid CFx gains can be made with mature drivers, so that 'm not worried about.

But Llano's CPU and GPU, are terrible weak. Going by the specifications itself, Llano's GPU should have done 3-4x better than Intel's HD3000, but that's not the case at all.

Top Bottom