AMD Bulldozer News and Discussion

D

Deleted member 118788

I Think Bulldozer Will Be Delayed To SNB-E Released.

D

Deleted member 118788

Why would AMD do that if it can't even match the current Sandy Bridge?

Recent Bulldozer Benchmarks Shows AMD Has Something Left To Show. SNB-E will be Priced Higher as it a premium intel thing. If Bulldozer Can Beat 990X & 2600K at a low price during snb-e definately intel market share will drop into AMD Hands.

Example:

300$ Bulldozer Can Defeat 990X & i7 2600K & 10-20% Faster SNB-E Low End Models eg: 300$ SNB-E & if it Can Match Performance In Between The 400$ & 500$ SNB - E Bulldozer will be a steal.

Or if bulldozer even slighlty perform better than sandy bridge i7 2600K Then There Will Be Huge Price Drop In Sandy Bridge 2600K & 2500K as there snb-e will be also available in that period. Extremely Sorry For Very Bad English & Explanation.;-)

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
The leaked benches have an ES on B1 stepping, which is never going to see the daylight in retail as AMD is reportedly unhappy with the clocks and already working on B2/B3 stepping. So if a 3.2 GHz 8130P ES can compete with i7 2600k, the reportedly 3.8 GHz 8130P retail chip can be a real threat to 990X.

All these are theoretical right now. We are just couple of months away from reality. ;)

tkin

Back to school!!
Recent Bulldozer Benchmarks Shows AMD Has Something Left To Show. SNB-E will be Priced Higher as it a premium intel thing. If Bulldozer Can Beat 990X & 2600K at a low price during snb-e definately intel market share will drop into AMD Hands.

Example:

300$ Bulldozer Can Defeat 990X & i7 2600K & 10-20% Faster SNB-E Low End Models eg: 300$ SNB-E & if it Can Match Performance In Between The 400$ & 500$ SNB - E Bulldozer will be a steal.

Or if bulldozer even slighlty perform better than sandy bridge i7 2600K Then There Will Be Huge Price Drop In Sandy Bridge 2600K & 2500K as there snb-e will be also available in that period. Extremely Sorry For Very Bad English & Explanation.;-)
If the highly oc'ed BD(3.8GHz) becomes a threat to 2600k, intel will just release 3.8GHz+ 2700k and be done with it, and do not underestimate intel, the tech intel has is beyond what amd can come up right now, sandy E if 22nm will probably eat BD alive, with some ketchup.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's some interesting news ( Published about an hour ago ) ;-)

Bulldozer prototype suggests AMD shooting for Sandy Bridge performance

and this ;-)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
But to catch market attention AMD have to play with BD pricing to make them attaractive as Intel is preparing to win the cpu battle again with SB-E and only right pricing can make Bulldozer somewhat win the upcoming battle of CPU power and price ;-)

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some interesting read:-

AnandTech - Details on AMD Bulldozer: Opterons to Feature Configurable TDP

POST ADDED:-

And in not so good news, it may be delayed until October:-

InsideHW - AMD Bulldozers set for October release

And there may be no less than 7 FX parts ranging from quad to octa core:-

*www.insidehw.com/images/stories/news/products/AMD/amdfxserieslinel_1.jpg

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
That just sux. Oct is still so far away. AMD just pushing people to Intel by postponing launch like that.

Also 6 & 8 Core Will be practically useless for gamers as of now. I hope the FX 4120 has what it takes to take out i5 2400

tkin

Back to school!!
More delays, by god, BD will compete with Ivy and Sandy E, back to phenom situation I guess.

Also heard top BD clock will be 3.6Ghz with boost to 4.2GHz, seems amd is having trouble reaching that clock speed, so they are delaying, so BD atleast competes with sandy.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Tech_Wiz:

More and more games are using 3/4 cores now, and real cores, not HT for that matter. So 6 & 8-core are a bit future-proof provided the CPU is already powerful enough. Just a couple of years back games were utilizing just two cores, not now anymore.

@tkin:

I think you are right. BD has to compete with Ivy and Sandy E, provided AMD doesn't have any surprises in store.

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bulldozer won't be good. I personally have no expectations for desktops. It might sell for servers though.

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
What was so bad about the "Phenom situation". I would be happy if Bulldozer delivers good performance like Phenom did with less cost. For me it doesn't have to beat intel, it just has to beat all the games releasing in the next 3-4 years.

D

Deleted member 118788

Top End Bulldozer Chip will defeat 2600K or there is no worth releasing bulldozer.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
What was so bad about the "Phenom situation". I would be happy if Bulldozer delivers good performance like Phenom did with less cost. For me it doesn't have to beat intel, it just has to beat all the games releasing in the next 3-4 years.

Agreed. But even that is doubtful.

Top End Bulldozer Chip will defeat 2600K or there is no worth releasing bulldozer.

And defeat by a good margin. Remember it will be very late in the party so there will be no excuses.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ I too want that and amd has to do it in order to stay competent in the business. Lots of am3 users are eyeing a bulldozer upgrade. I guess amd won't dissapoint them.

Last edited:

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
@Tech_Wiz:

More and more games are using 3/4 cores now, and real cores, not HT for that matter. So 6 & 8-core are a bit future-proof provided the CPU is already powerful enough. Just a couple of years back games were utilizing just two cores, not now anymore.

Well I agree that more and more are closer to using 4 Cores as of now. But 6 & 8 will take more time. By the time games start supporting those a whole new league of Proccys will be out :)

I tend to agree with ico.

AMD's "Pure" CPU power is getting over powered by Intel so they are getting the Fusion & APU thing going so as to compensate for that.

AMD = Entry Mid Level (i.e masses) and Mid High + High will go with Intel.

Top Bottom