AMD Bulldozer News and Discussion

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Despite having faster cards, it was nVidia who got spanked in GT 2xx. Following the launch of HD 4850/70, there was like 30-50% reduction in nVidia prices instantly. You don't have to have the fastest product to win.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Maybe I misread it, full domination? They can do that right now with ivy, why wait for BD to settle?

I think they are having problems with 22nm 3D transistors, or maybe they are changing plans a bit (due to Fusion release), that's why Ivy Bridge got delayed 3 months.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
HD 4850 and 4870 sold like crazy. Really crazy. I remember the forum in those days. ;)

Yups. Everyone got them then. 4850 was like the "normal" pick up card.

I got mine then too..! The 48xx series started end of domination for nVidia. HD4890 was the icing, when it killed the GTX280 and bordered GTX285.

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Of course, the 3870x2. Till 8 series came, so its like 8, 9 and gt200.
I think Gefroce 8 series spanked X1950XTX and HD 2000 series. It was even much better than HD 3000 series. HD 3850/70 + dual variants were only a return to competition for ATi. 9 doesn't count as it was a mere re-brand.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Despite having faster cards, it was nVidia who got spanked in GT 2xx. Following the launch of HD 4850/70, there was like 30-50% reduction in nVidia prices instantly. You don't have to have the fastest product to win.

Agreed. Intel had tread a similar path during Athlon 64 days. Apparently they were selling overpriced products due to no/less competition. So even for Intel/nVIDIA fanboys, a win for AMD is just as good as an AMD fanboy.

Bottom Line:- Competition is always good for customers.

I got a 9800GTX+ when 4850 came up, mostly due to the heat issue **Hides in bushes**

That heat issue was rectified promptly with dual slot custom coolers. Even my "Palit" never went over 65C under load.

I think Gefroce 8 series spanked X1950XTX and HD 2000 series. It was even much better than HD 3000 series. HD 3850/70 + dual variants were only a return to competition for ATi. 9 doesn't count as it was a mere re-brand.

Particularly the 8800GT. It was a darling for a long long time.

comp@ddict

Yups. Everyone got them then. 4850 was like the "normal" pick up card.

I got mine then too..! The 48xx series started end of domination for nVidia. HD4890 was the icing, when it killed the GTX280 and bordered GTX285.

yep, same case with HD5850 and HD6850 and HD6950, always the 50s enjoy popularity :D

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Personally speaking, I hated ATi. Absolutely hated ATi. ATi used to be notorious. Drivers never ever worked in Linux. Never. nVidia always worked in Linux.

Real gaming scenario in those old days used to be this - nVidia winning in OpenGL titles whereas ATi winning in Direct3D titles.

Intel and AMD are very open source friendly. AMD's acquisition of ATi transformed ATi from open source enemies to friends. AMD released the GPU instruction set specifications and now pays their open source driver developers. nouveau developers on the other hand receive no support from nVidia.

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
^^ the older brother HD 5770 has been the largest selling DX 11 card followed by GTX 460, HD 5850 and HD 5870 in succession.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Even I was a nVIDIA fanboy since the 4850/70 comes out. The first review I read was on Anandtech, and instantly knew I was going to get one.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ the older brother HD 5770 has been the largest selling DX 11 card followed by GTX 460, HD 5850 and HD 5870 in succession.

Actually buddy my 5750 is giving 5770 framerates with a 100mhz oc and maybe even surpassing that. I have checked guru3d frames and i'm getting a bit higher than 5770 at stock whereas mine is overclocked to 100mhz i.e 800mhz core clock up from 700mhz stock.

Asus formula coolers are extremely good and the highest temps i get even in gpu intensive games after oc is around 67c.

In crysis2 with everything set to ultra, dx11 & high res textures on @ 1600x900, i'm getting 20-25fps in normal scenes. But during heavy firefights ,it drops to 15-18 fps. Consider my card is a 5750, these numbers aren't that bad. But i have to oc my card to get these numbers to 800mhz core clock and 1250 mhz memory clock.:smile:

nilgtx260

Maximum Craze
I have always been a nvidia guy since XFX 8600 GT, then I bought MSI 9800 GTX & then Palit GTX 260 & again MSI GTX 260 Lightning. I personally started liking AMD since HD 5xxx series, cause it was the very particular time when AMD turned the table. One of my fav card is HD 5870 (I like this card very much) among all AMD cards.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Now, now... enough of Radeons and Geforces. Lets come back to topic. ;)

Check this:-

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/cpu-motherboards/135848-amd-bulldozer-news-discussion-14.html#post1449779

And post your comments on this. :)

comp@ddict

nVidia winning in OpenGL titles whereas ATi winning in Direct3D titles.

that has changed so much now..

Anyways, ICO please read your PM, I need a few extra blank posts on the thread.

Top Bottom