All Metalheads here

bikramjitkar

In the zone
I like listening to a few metal bands like In Flames, Dark Tranquility, Insomnium, Disarmonia Mundi, Soilwork and Amon Amarth. I believe these bands belong to the genre "Melodic death metal".

Not sure whether this qualifies me as a metal head or not :) , and I dont really like metallica(I hear they are a rage amongst metal heads).

My favourite metal song, In Flames : Drenched In Fear.

Cheers!
Abhijit

Well, let's put it this way- you may like tinkering with PCs but you will never be an engineer if you haven't even passed high school! :p

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
I heard this thing in some fb groups that some of us as just 'metalfans'-those who listen to metal occationally.whereas 'Metalhead' is the ultimate one -who dress up like a metalhead,go to shows,support the local scene etc.

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
Well, let's put it this way- you may like tinkering with PCs but you will never be an engineer if you haven't even passed high school! :p
Metallica is the most generic metal band often blamed for being 'sellouts' .It is easy to get in to it for a begginer,dont know why he has problem getting in to it:p

- - - Updated - - -

just appreciate the music no need to assign tags to them
No genre has more tags than metal.look at those diverse genres

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz

Since I actually am an IT Engineer I found this offensive, but I do get your point.

Actually my tastes in music are quite wide, ranging from mozart/bach and rafi/manna dey to these metal bands I mentioned.

I guess because of my proclivity towards classical music I like "melodic" death metal and not metallica.

- - - Updated - - -

Metallica is the most generic metal band often blamed for being 'sellouts' .It is easy to get in to it for a begginer,dont know why he has problem getting in to it:p

- - - Updated - - -

No genre has more tags than metal.look at those diverse genres

I dont like the way the guitar is played in metallica, I tried listening to a few songs like "Enter Sandman", but none of them gave that kick that I get from bands like In Flames and Insomnium.

I thought music is a matter of personal preference
and not everybody is inclined to like everything.

I am pretty sure that there must be a few metalheads who prefer a few specific bands over all others.

I may be wrong about this but isn't finland the "cradle of metal" and aren't finnish bands supposed to be pros ?

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
Actually my tastes in music are quite wide, ranging from mozart/bach and rafi/manna dey to these metal bands I mentioned.

I guess because of my proclivity towards classical music I like "melodic" death metal and not metallica.

- - - Updated - - -

I dont like the way the guitar is played in metallica, I tried listening to a few songs like "Enter Sandman", but none of them gave that kick that I get from bands like In Flames and Insomnium.

I am pretty sure that there must be a few metalheads who prefer a few specific bands over all others.

Metallica is everyones favourite(except for hardcore Megadeth and Mustaine followers:p)
Anyways some bands you like ,some not.
I cant dig melodic/symphonic death metal stuff or most the finnish/swedish bands except Opeth.

- - - Updated - - -

I may be wrong about this but isn't finland the "cradle of metal" and aren't finnish bands supposed to be pros ?

If you explore the roots of heavy metal/rock its noticeable that UK spawned most of the early prominent rock bands such as The Beatles,The Rolling Stones,Led Zeppelin,The Who etc while U.S had Hendrix though its an irony that he got his career lift in the U.K.
You mentioned pros-If you look up music from other countries like Sweden or Finland they also had a period of prominence of Rock and Metal in the 60s and 80s like in the U.S/U.K.So why these bands are not popular? because they were not brought in to the spotlight,i believe.
So there are no pros for a genre,its a matter of who gets in to the limelight.

bikramjitkar

In the zone
Since I actually am an IT Engineer I found this offensive, but I do get your point.

- - - Updated - - -

Lighten up man, I'm an engineer too and it was just a joke.

Secondly, Enter Sandman is from Metallica's most commercially successful era and is straight up heavy metal. They were one of the pioneers in combining classical music influences with metal. Listen to songs like "The Call of Ktulu", "Orion" or the middle section of "Master of Puppets". Also check out their "S&M" album.

Also, Finland is the cradle of nothing (except mobile phones that refuse to die). The "Melodic death" sub-genre originated from Sweden with bands like At The Gates and Dark Tranquillity. Metal originated from the UK (Black Sabbath/Judas Priest/Iron Maiden) and went big from the US (The big 4 of thrash).

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
Lighten up man, I'm an engineer too and it was just a joke.

Secondly, Enter Sandman is from Metallica's most commercially successful era and is straight up heavy metal. They were one of the pioneers in combining classical music influences with metal. Listen to songs like "The Call of Ktulu", "Orion" or the middle section of "Master of Puppets". Also check out their "S&M" album.

Also, Finland is the cradle of nothing (except mobile phones that refuse to die). The "Melodic death" sub-genre originated from Sweden with bands like At The Gates and Dark Tranquillity. Metal originated from the UK (Black Sabbath/Judas Priest/Iron Maiden) and went big from the US (The big 4 of thrash).

Well I will give metallica another shot and as I said I can be wrong about Finland. :)

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin

You kidding right? :D

Metallica also has melodic songs. Listen to Welcome Home (Sanitarium), One, Fade To Black, For Whom The Bell Tolls, The Call Of Ktulu (Instrumental), Orion (Instrumental), etc.

Perhaps you have not heard enough Metallica. No compulsion if you don't want to check them out, but I haven't seen anyone who does not like Metallica. People dislike them for being sellouts but everyone agrees that their first 4 albums are very good.

On a side note, the whole Death Metal scene is derived from the Thrash Metal scene and Metallica wrote the first Thrash Metal song "Hit The Lights". Therefore, if there were no Metallica, there would not be Thrash Metal, no Death Metal and consequently no Melodic Death Metal, Deathcore or Grindcore. Besides many of the modern day bands cite Metallica as an influence.

Even if you don't like them, always remember that they are a formidable force in metal and a very essential band.

Further reading : *en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metallica#Legacy_and_influence

What if I told you that the the techniques used by Metallica and other bands like In Flames are all similar? What exactly don't you like about their guitar technique? Tremolo picking or the key that they use? If its the key, all of their songs except The Unforgiven is in the key of E minor, the same key is used by In Flames and many of the scandinavian bands except perhaps Meshuggah, Vildhjarta and Enslaved, etc. That does not make their songs much different.

Metal is like a vast and deep ocean, if you get out of your comfort zone and explore, you will find amazing bands with distinct styles and sounds. That's how I found most of my favourite bands. Yes, music is a matter of personal preference and no one is forcing you to like everything, but nothing beats the satisfaction of finding a band that you like on your own without the TV, radio, your friends or parents to tell you what to listen to. That music would truly be personal and something that is yours and yours alone. Like a drug that is personalised for you alone that gives the ultimate kick.

Nope. There are a lot of good bands from the scandinavian countries, but the cradle of metal it is not. Metal would not exist if Black Sabbath hadn't recorded their eponymous debut album. Since then everyone and every culture that was exposed to metal assimilated it into their own cultures and made it their own. This is why metal has a mind boggling number of sub genres. This is also why the scandinavian countries have a distinct variety of metal of their own. Birmigham, England is the birthplace of metal, but as it were, there is no "Cradle Of Metal" anywhere in the world.

Also, what if I told you that all bands are pros.

Source : 10+ years of experience listening to metal.

setanjan123

In the zone
Guys check out this awesome song called Shaat Din by bangladeshi metal band Aurthohin. Its lyrics are in bengali so it helps if u are bengali ull be able to connect with the song more. The song is a 28 minute prog metal masterpiece about the last seven days of a inmate who has been sentenced to death. Even if u arent bengali it doesnt matter since the song has some great riffs and some very beautiful acoustic/symphonic verses. So yeah check it out! \m/

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Guys check out this awesome song called Shaat Din by bangladeshi metal band Aurthohin. Its lyrics are in bengali so it helps if u are bengali ull be able to connect with the song more. The song is a 28 minute prog metal masterpiece about the last seven days of a inmate who has been sentenced to death. Even if u arent bengali it doesnt matter since the song has some great riffs and some very beautiful acoustic/symphonic verses. So yeah check it out! \m/

Post link please.

setanjan123

In the zone
Here you go. Hope u like it. *m.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&rl=yes&v=dfgqtJ4j_qE&client=mv-google&gl=IN&hl=en-GB&guid=

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
*fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1.0-9/q72/s720x720/15175_611935002216439_4783921283155359310_n.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Here you go. Hope u like it. *m.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&rl=yes&v=dfgqtJ4j_qE&client=mv-google&gl=IN&hl=en-GB&guid=

Pretty dope song.

You should try listening to this. This song is completely in Sanskrit.

- - - Updated - - -

*fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1.0-9/q72/s720x720/15175_611935002216439_4783921283155359310_n.jpg

Actually is dyslexia.

setanjan123

In the zone
[MENTION=156672]Desmond[/MENTION] i dont see the link. Maybe becoz im on mobile. Just post the name ill find it. And what do u mean by dope? Im not very good with internet slang sorry. The dictionary has two meanings:- stupid and excellent lol. Which one did u mean ?

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
[MENTION=156672]Desmond[/MENTION] i dont see the link. Maybe becoz im on mobile. Just post the name ill find it. And what do u mean by dope? Im not very good with internet slang sorry. The dictionary has two meanings:- stupid and excellent lol. Which one did u mean ?

The Down Troddence - Shiva.

The Down Troddence is a folk/groove metal band from Cochin.

- - - Updated - - -

I meant excellent, I don't remember seeing dope being used for anything bad. :p

setanjan123

In the zone
Actually dope used in context of a person would mean stupid. Anyways will try out that song. Btw a little help here. M looking for a band that uses symphonic elements with vicious death/black metal. Something along the lines of the fear of the dark cover by cradle of filth. Dont like entire orchestras being used ala nightwish. Epic music with deep lyrics would be gr8. Any leads?

setanjan123

In the zone
Hey WTH!. Why is dis thread stagnant for almost a month? Did u headbangers run out of things to say. Well ill say somethng then. Found a decent folk metal band named Crimfall.

Top Bottom