3G iPhone announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Yeah, I’m not in support of the idea that the Internet should be a major consideration for your iPhone purchase if you don’t intend to have EDGE service enabled. It doesn’t make much sense to not have EDGE on the iPhone. Apart from the phone, iPod and a few small-time features, all of the iPhone’s features rely on a consistent connection to the Internet to function well.

My advice: Have EDGE activated if you go in for an iPhone. Of course, my other piece of advice is don’t buy an iPhone.

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
And why is it so?

Because every Tom, Dick, Harry, Ron and Hermione will have the iPhone then. And Aayush and all the current owners won't have that exclusivity factor that they have now. Just imagine Aayush trying to impress someone with his iPhone and that guy/girl pulls out two iPhones out his/her pocket. Imagine the look on Aayush's face.

Maverick340

Ambassador of Buzz
*www.gsmarena.com/iphone_3g_for_$199_or_even_free__but_whats_the_catch-news-521.php

Thats bad news for all those looking to buy it from balck marekt. Interesting approach by Apple.

blueshift

Wise Old Crow
w00t?? Earlier iPhone didn't have a 3G !

May be in next version, they will release with Bluetooth, its next with Video Recording... and it will be in news again.

But its good that iPhone atleast have a 3G now.

ctrl_alt_del

A Year Closer To Heaven
Because every Tom, Dick, Harry, Ron and Hermione will have the iPhone then. And Aayush and all the current owners won't have that exclusivity factor that they have now. Just imagine Aayush trying to impress someone with his iPhone and that guy/girl pulls out two iPhones out his/her pocket. Imagine the look on Aayush's face.

Exclusivity factor, eh?

And here I thought the aim of the Mac threads was to make more and more people join the bandwagon.

rockthegod

Dark Overlord !!!
Now.. Now.. the competitors are starting to compete.. how ????

Samsung Instinct to run $199.99 with Contract (Click)

This is specifically the point where I respect Apple... even if their products are less superior (in terms of features) than their competitors, their beauty in design and aesthetics of a product wins the hearts of the masses and soon all the competitors begin to follow/copy and innovate on same lines .... no matter what the bitter Apple haters would grudge about, at this point it can be said that APPLE brews INNOVATION ... even with its drawbacks the iPhone has and will pave the way for every mobile manufacturer out there how we are supposed to INTERACT with a mobile device and soon all of them WILL follow its direction (maybe not its lead).

f the idea of a sub-$200 3G touchscreen fashion phone sounds vaguely familiar, trust us, it's not just your noggin playing tricks on you. Sprint is apparently circulating documentation internally revealing that the Samsung Instinct will run $199.99 on contract after rebates, a move that doesn't really come as surprise; Sprint itself has worked overtime trying to play up the Instinct versus iPhone angle, after all, and it's entirely plausible that the carrier was holding out for Apple's announcement before settling on a price. Sprint will also be requiring that users sign up for an "Everything" plan when taking delivery of their Instinct, a move that smacks of AT&T's marriage of the iPhone to specific plans. The Instinct gets the jump on Apple's hardware by a few days thanks to a June 20 launch, so it'll be interesting to see just how much Cupertino thunder Samsung can steal here.

Last edited:

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Now, I don’t mean to dampen the cheery atmosphere around these parts but for those of you who were expecting to snag an iPhone for Rs. 9,000, I have some potentially bad news. I watched the keynote yesterday and I think Steve Jobs left a loophole in his same price “all around the world” proclamation. These are his exact words: “So, seventy countries this year. We’re gonna start with twenty-two of the biggest (the sixth-largest and second most populous country in the world apparently doesn’t deserve a spot on that list) and we’re gonna be rolling out the iPhone 3G at the same time in all of these countries, and we’re rolling it out on July 11th. And in almost every one of these countries, the price is a maximum of $199, all around the world.”

Now, since he said that it would be the same “all around the world” in the end, it might mean that he included India too. However, there is also the possibility that he only meant the twenty-two countries he listed, where the iPhone is dropping simultaneously on July 11, which are spread all around the world. Of course, this is just speculation, but Rs. 9,000 sounds too good to be true, at least to me, so I’m just trying to ensure that when the phone officially arrives in India, we don’t have a lot of sour, expectant faces around these parts. :)

---------------------

Also, for those of you who intend to purchase an iPhone, let me remind you that it (1) cannot forward text messages; and (2) gives no indication that you’ve crossed the 160 character limit when you’re typing a message, which means that you might inadvertently send two messages sometimes, instead of one.

Last edited:

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
If it's really that cheap as announced or heck even somewhere close to it then count me in that line for sure.I wanted to get this phone when it first launched but looking at the price I had to shy away.But this would be a steal at 12k.I care less about it being 3G or not but my main concern is the uber-cool screen & it's touch screen.:D Good going Apple.

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
Now, I don’t mean to damn the cheery atmosphere around these parts but for those of you who were expecting to snag an iPhone for Rs. 9,000, I have some potentially bad news. I watched the keynote yesterday and I think Steve Jobs left a loophole in his same price “all around the world” proclamation. These are his exact words: “So, seventy countries this year. We’re gonna start with twenty-two of the biggest (the six-largest and second most populous country in the world apparently doesn’t deserve a spot on that list) and we’re gonna be rolling out the iPhone 3G at the same time in all of these countries, and we’re rolling it out on July 11th. And in almost every one of these countries, the price is a maximum of $199, all around the world.”

Now, since he said that it would be the same “all around the world” in the end, it might mean that he included India too. However, there is also the possibility that he only meant the twenty-two countries he listed, where the iPhone is dropping simultaneously on July 11, which are spread all around the world. Of course, this is just speculation, but Rs. 9,000 sounds too good to be true, at least to me, so I’m just trying to ensure that when the phone officially arrives in India, we don’t have a lot of sour, expectant faces around these parts. :)

---------------------

Also, for those of you who intend to purchase an iPhone, let me remind you that it (1) cannot forward text messages; and (2) gives no indication that you’ve crossed the 160 character limit when you’re typing a message, which means that you might inadvertently send two messages sometimes, instead of one.

You are just trying to scare people so they don't buy an iPhone. :lol:

And as for the problems with the messages, it can be solved by not having the iPhone as the primary phone or the only phone. It can be used alongside another phone which can do all these things well. And now since the iPhone prices would come down, having two phones wouldn't be all that difficult. For example since I have the Nokia 5700 now, I can just get the iPhone when it comes out and keep my 5700 and then use them alternately, so that I don't miss out on anything.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
The final payment for the iphone will be very high.

8Gig ipod touch price is 15k approx in India $250 in USA. Taking this into consideration, there is no way that you can get an iphone for sub-10k. It will clearly be more than 20k when you calculate it's exact price on an x year contract.

Let the dataplan detail come out.

Certainly, it's more useful in countries with full fledged 3G than in others.

and I do think that Airtel and Vodafone will release this phone only when 3G is activated on their networks.

Last edited:

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
You do realise that, be it any phone in the world, you will have to pay for Internet access on it. In the U.S.A., no other carrier, except AT&T, offers an unlimited data plan. Blackberry's come with a limited data plan at $40/month. And even at AT&T's new $30/month tariff, customers are only paying $1.66/month more for 3G access over the iPhone's previous price. Sounds like a fairly good deal to me after careful consideration.

Plastic Back!WTF!What next?Metal looks and feels much better.
3G not here in India as yet so,no use of 3G too.What other 'cool' features have been added?

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
^^ GPS.

Btw I'm hoping that 3G will be provided by our service providers when the iPhone 3G gets launched here. So even if I don't get an iPhone 3G, I can still enjoy 3G on my current phone.

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
I'm gonna LMAO when Airtel announces the launch and availability of the iPhone.

---------------
Airtel is proud to announce the availability of Apple's new 3G iPhone*

*3G is not currently available as a service.
-----------

That'll be something interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom