3G iPhone announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
E-Mail requirs Internet, MMS doesn't.
Whoever told you that?! Of course MMS requires a gprs connection. How else would you send your file? And you also need to have an active gprs connection on your phone to receive the MMS.

Also here in Mumbai, Airtel charges me 5 rupees for sending one MMS. And that too has a 300kb limit. Whereas if I decide to send it via email, I can send it for free and there is no file size limit. The person receiving the mail have the convenience of opening it from his phone or from his pc as well. Also if it is a picture, I might just decide to upload it on Flickr or something and just send the url to that person so that he is not forced to wait till the file is received as in MMS.

Seriously MMS so passé. In fact, I don't think it ever was in fashion. There is no need to cling on to such useless features and to complain about its absence in the iPhone. Apple is not implementing a feature in its device just for the four people who might use it sometimes.

Now if its something like the lack of file sharing via bluetooth, then yes, it is something to complain about.

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
Okay, so @gx uses MMS without internet and does 3G video conferencing here.

Well said, @krazzy
Emailing the picture has so many more advantages.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
They just don’t get it when you put it in simple English. How to get your message across? One of the major reasons why the iPhone’s interface is so much better than all other phones is that Apple boldly goes where no other manufacturer dares to and excludes features that the majority of users do not use. Of course, that leaves a few people whining, but Apple could care less.

@krazzy,
Exactly. This is what I said earlier in this thread too. Complain about the lack of A2DP, file-sharing, Internet sharing, video recording, lack of copy-and-paste—those are all valid complaints. I’m not a big fan of video recording or file-sharing, but I will never say that those features are useless and shouldn’t be there.

But MMS?! God, just give me a break already. It’s like driving a BMW without a power steering (not the best of analogies, I know) and insisting that it’s the better way to do it because we’ve been doing so on our Maruti 800 and it gives your arms some exercise. :lol:

And I’m sick of the cribbing about Apple not giving users limited choices anyway. Yes, they do that. I know that, you know that and the whole world knows that. That’s their thing, that’s just how they roll. We, Apple users, don’t mind that as long as our products are sexy, work the way they are advertised and offer us the quality we pay for. Stop whining about it already because it’s not going to change anything.

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^^ lol. fanboyism at its core.

Remember one thing, However good BMW is, people still prefer to buy Maruti.

EDGE has become stale in lot of countries when compared to 3G but still people use it and is the best avilable connection in India.

internet has made inroads. But still MMS has it's use.

Apparantly some people dreaming of BMW doesn't know how many smiles Maruti brings in India. :)

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
and BTW,

Shock's yet to come.

ATT is going to increase the dataplan by atleast 10$ per month (for the 20$ unlimited data plan) that means. iphone users are going to pay $240 extra over the course of two years.

On top of that, if they have to use corporate email push or intranet connection, they have to get $45 dataplan.

More surprises to come.

As I said earlier, $199 price for the phone is just an illusion. At the end of 2yr, it's going to come out as a $400 phone due to the higher rentals.

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
Apparantly some people dreaming of BMW doesn't know how many smiles Maruti brings in India. :)

Normally, I don't participate in such conversations, but Maruti was all about utility. You could equate the SMS feature to Maruti .. cheap and effective. MMS would be more like Ford's new models. Good features, but no one buys them. :)

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
^^^ lol. fanboyism at its core.

EDGE has become stale in lot of countries when compared to 3G but still people use it and is the best avilable connection in India.

Yeah, well, that’s exactly the problem with India—people are so content with the smiles of Maruti that few aim for the BMWs of the world. We don’t have proper EDGE and 3G speeds because people are content with GPRS and MMS. We don’t have widespread use of Wi-Fi because people don’t mind wires. I only wish that people would set the same high standards from other products that they benchmark Apple products against. The moment you start deciding that you won’t settle for a touchscreen any less brilliant than the iPhone’s on your phone, we’ll start seeing change.

But no, as long as it’s Nokia, advertise a thousand features, implemented in any manner, tack on a cheap price and we’re sold. Where can we buy a few at a discount for the entire family? :rolleyes:

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
Which is perfectly OK. No one's arguing that. But complaining that BMW shouldn't have power steering because it's good for the arms, is not. Getting what he was trying to say there ?

True. EDGE is not bad. But no one is discussing that here ! Or is there ?

The point is, when you already have internet on the iPhone, emailing the image becomes a much better option than MMS, since the recipient can then get multiple choices to access it.

Heh, nicely put there :)

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^ There you go again. Always thinking everyone should spend all that they have over uber gizmo toys. :)

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
and BTW,

Shock's yet to come.

ATT is going to increase the dataplan by atleast 10$ per month (for the 20$ unlimited data plan) that means. iphone users are going to pay $240 extra over the course of two years.

On top of that, if they have to use corporate email push, they have to get $45 dataplan.

More surprises to come.

As I said earlier, $199 price for the phone is just an illusion. At the end of 2yr, it's going to come out as a $400 phone.

Time value of money. Discount those $10 payments at the govt. bond rate (not even the rate you could earn investing on the Sensex or the Nifty as they are risky investments) of about 5% p.a. That would be the present value of your payments.

Do you think big companies care about mobile rates? I'll give you an example of an investment bank here. They have a rule that when an employee goes home after 9 PM, they'll pay for the food and the taxi ride. My friend spends about £50 daily on those. That bank has more than 10000 employees just in London. :) Now, do you think they care for small change?

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^ Oh yes. They do. That's the main reason why they are sticking to Blackberry's and stay away from gizmo's.

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
Yeah, well, that’s exactly the problem with India—people are so content with the smiles of Maruti that few aim for the BMWs of the world.

Developing country. Who would care for a BMW if they have to feed their family first? Don't get me wrong, but Indians are the most optimistic and ambitious people I have seen anywhere in the world. Learn more about your country first. :)

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
^^ Oh yes. They do. That's the main reason why they are sticking to Blackberry's and stay away from gizmo's.

They had no choice before this. They wouldn't exactly want to use a Nokia or a Sony Ericsson.

Though, I am not going back to any fancy phone. I am very happy with my Nokia 8310. Now, that's a phone. The call quality is brilliant, it can send messages and the battery life is superb. For music, I use the radio on my 8310 or the iPod that I got free with my Macbook. For photos, I have an extremely portable Canon Ixus 70. :)

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
BTW,

Was listening to the Cnet podcast.

They mentioned that the exclusivity contract between ATT and Apple is about to end and so can expect unlocked iphone from Apple for about a 100$ more.

They can do that. They reduced the first gen's price by 200$ in two months of it's release.

Anyways, when ATT's new contract detail comes out, once the calculations are over, it will be noted that you will be paying more in a span of 2 yrs than what you are going to do for the first gen.

it's just another Apple illusion created by great marketing. :)

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
iphone2 got launched and in india is still waiting for iphone1 to get launch..

great...
No, India is not. India is directly getting iPhone 3G within the next couple of months.

----------------

@desiibond,
There’s no point arguing with you. The moment something starts to sink in, you divert the conversation with offhand comments like, “^^ There you go again. Always thinking everyone should spend all that they have over uber gizmo toys.” I can’t even begin to describe how stupid that statement sounds on a technology forum where people are discussing the ultimate “gizmo” (which is hardly a “toy”) around. You might want to save ridiculous comments like that one for a forum about Star Plus soaps, maybe.

And yes, the plans are more expensive now. That’s how subsidisation works. If you really expected the iPhone to sell for Rs. 8,000 without any catches (i.e. if you think that’s what it’s worth), then maybe you are better suited for the Maruti after all. And the data rates are more expensive for a reason—the network just got 3x faster and it requires money to set it up and keep it running. You can’t expect to drive at 100 KM/hr and expend the same amount of fuel as you would at 50 KM/hr.

Airtel charges Rs. 99/month for access to those crappy WAP sites and Rs. 249/month for full featured EDGE access. Similarly, AT&T charges $20 for EDGE access and $30 for 3G, which is the same for all other phones too. That’s how it’s supposed to work and I’m not even talking rocket science here either. It’s just plain common sense.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
They had no choice before this. They wouldn't exactly want to use a Nokia or a Sony Ericsson.

Though, I am not going back to any fancy phone. I am very happy with my Nokia 8310. Now, that's a phone. The call quality is brilliant, it can send messages and the battery life is superb. For music, I use the radio on my 8310 or the iPod that I got free with my Macbook. For photos, I have an extremely portable Canon Ixus 70. :)

Yes.

eg: Company where I work gives Moto Q's and Nokia E61's over Airtel corporate connection with unlimited dataplan in India and some other networks in USA.

First when I saw the price tag of $199, I was so excited but then came the reality. What really is the improvement except the 3G and what would be the data plan?

Now, I am pretty sure that in India, you will not get iphone for cheap. Either they will price iphone insanely high or put insanely high rentals.

No, India is not. India is directly getting iPhone 3G within the next couple of months.

----------------

@desiibond,
There’s no point arguing with you. The moment something starts to sink in, you divert the conversation with offhand comments like, “^^ There you go again. Always thinking everyone should spend all that they have over uber gizmo toys.” I can’t even begin to describe how stupid that statement sounds on a technology forum where people are discussing the ultimate “gizmo” (which is hardly a “toy”) around. You might want to save ridiculous comments like that one for a forum about Star Plus soaps, maybe.

And yes, the plans are more expensive now. That’s how subsidisation works. If you really expected the iPhone to sell for Rs. 8,000 without any catches (i.e. if you think that’s what it’s worth), then maybe you are better suited for the Maruti after all. And the data rates are more expensive for a reason—the network just got 3x faster and it requires money to set it up and keep it running. You can’t expect to drive at 100 KM/hr and expend the same amount of fuel as you would at 50 KM/hr.

Airtel charges Rs. 99/month for access to those crappy WAP sites and Rs. 249/month for full featured EDGE access. Similarly, AT&T charges $20 for EDGE access and $30 for 3G, which is the same for all other phones too. That’s how it’s supposed to work and I’m not even talking rocket science here either. It’s just plain common sense.

Oh yes. You think about BMW's, insanely priced computers, insanely priced phones. I think about best bang-for-the-buck products. You will never understand :)

Vodafone gives GPRS for free, gives 30 free MMS per month for postpaid customers. That's called CHOICE. You don't know that coz .. (you know what I am going to say) :)

After carefull observing, I would like to say that IT'S STILL NOT PERFECT.

but I will reserve that phrase till I see the dataplan in India.

and btw, the company where I work has shreddded out mac's coz they create more headache in corporate network than use.

They never think about mac servers
they never think about iphone

And btw, it's a Fortune 100 company.

and profits of 5000+ million dollars.

Reason: We don't believe in looks and keynote. WE believe in the core.

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Also here in Mumbai, Airtel charges me 5 rupees for sending one MMS. And that too has a 300kb limit. Whereas if I decide to send it via email, I can send it for free and there is no file size limit.

Aren't U paying for GPRS ?

You do video conferencing in India on your phone without 3G?

Next time I will add the example tag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom