18 super moderators, 6 admins = 1 mismanaged forum called ThinkDigit forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
err...
Ok, I've seen mods being partial, and I've seen abuse of power too. But these things do not come in the way of good posts. There are people here who are admins/mods on other forums, and this whole "power" thing is an illusion.
The feedback is really appreciated, and keep at it, but don't be more aggressive than you need to be.
Spammers will be a step ahead of both mods and bots always, and are a pain. They usually get handled. Encourage the noobs too, everyone makes mistakes in the first few days or so.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
^^^
Well said...

And I don't have much problem in the forum anyways except that it goes down sometimes....and that has nothing to do with modship...

Could you guys (admins) please post when and Why the forum goes down sometimes?

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
@Anorion, as an Admin is visiting this thread (and reading it too!!!), I'm being too optimistic and posting some points which people here is asking/suggesting to improve the forum.
I've consolidated from "Measuring a thread..." and "Complaints/Whinning...." thread. Was too lazy to visit suggestions thread. (Sorry)

• close the thread older than 1 year. Let them be for viewing only. A simple sql query will do that if there is no option in vBulletin (by ichi)

• But don't close a currently opened thread in Chit Chat unless it becomes stale(after 2-3 days if it doesn't get buried itself) and you thought it was another spam kinda thread made by genuine members (by ichi)

• The admins can include a box that displays the forum rules one at a time like a "Tip of the Day" box. (by Alexanderthegreat)

• Close the thread if more than two guys report about it. And if everyone is happy then atleast let the thread run for 2-3 days and sink to the bottom by itself or close it manually by 4th day if mods suspect it to be buried deep. (by ichi)

• Move it to the top of the page where it is easily visible and update that option to have negative ratings as well.
  • 1 to 0 to +5 with zero being the default rating of every thread.
  • After 1 page of replies:
  • If the ratings go negative, thread gets deleted.
  • If the ratings stay at zero with votes, thread gets locked.
  • If the ratings stay at zero without votes, thread continues.
  • If the thread does not finish 1 page of replies after 3 days, thread continues unless it comes under rule 1 or 2.
  • Any positive ratings(1 to 5) let it be the criteria for the thread starter to judge how his/her thread is received by other members, with the thread being allowed to continue. (by afonofa)

• A new rating in the thread rating system should be added. It should be named "Spam". AND, in case a thread gets too many Spam ratings, it should be... wait for it... AUTOMATICALLY deleted. I can already see some wise guys pointing out how that would help the spammers to delete posts too. Well, I would like to suggest that new members should not be permitted to rate the thread as a "Spam".

• We can let mods vote for these old faithful people. Once those old faithfuls are selected, THEY can vote for more in the future. See a pattern emerging? (by Alexanderthegreat)

• There are not enough smileys! Instead of providing us with the same smileys with different code, TDF admins should replace repeated smileys with smileys for things like rofl and a better smiley for lol. (by Alexanderthegreat)

• Though I have set reply notification for subscribed threads to email me the moment someone replies, but I hardly get instant notifications. At times, it's after 5-6 hours after reply is made. Using gmail ID. Never got any notification when I provided a @luckymail.com id as my email address. (by thinkFree)

Last edited:
OP
victor_rambo

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
Ok, I've seen mods being partial, and I've seen abuse of power too.
Its a ray of hope to see that you are accepting. Else, till date, my experience was only that mods ban you if you try to voice against them.

*img139.imageshack.us/img139/4407/tcpipqn2.gif​
If you are getting so pissed, you can leave us alone. But let us finish the whole things for once and all.

Last edited:

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Its a ray of hope to see that you are accepting. Else, till date, my experience was only that mods ban you if you try to voice against them.

If you are getting so pissed, you can leave us alone. But let us finish the whole things for once and all.
Rohan and kalpik...plz stop fighting, if we want to proceed, we want you all.
@Rohan, Alone u can start but can't continue. U'll say u can but think deeply, can u?? Its not possible for us all. None is going to be permanent here.
Admins-Mods-Users will come and go..
This forum will stay
So, plz stop fighting...(ekbar to sunle yaar:()

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Heh.. Im not fighting dude! I really sometimes dont understand why people get so personal! I mean we all were discussing stuff.. The admins and mods were discussing matters in the public.. And then.. someone comes and goes all jehadi over it! Makes one loose interest in everything.. What does one mean by "With co-operation of all you members, within 7 days, I can make-over this forum from the mess it is today to one of the most smoothly run forums.". What he means is that all the people trying to run this forum are complete jackasses.. "gruesome bloodshed".. Really?

OP
victor_rambo

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
Heh.. Im not fighting dude! I really sometimes dont understand why people get so personal! I mean we all were discussing stuff.. The admins and mods were discussing matters in the public.. And then.. someone comes and goes all jehadi over it! Makes one loose interest in everything.. What does one mean by "With co-operation of all you members, within 7 days, I can make-over this forum from the mess it is today to one of the most smoothly run forums.". What he means is that all the people trying to run this forum are complete jackasses.. "gruesome bloodshed".. Really?
I never got personal and never named any person in this thread. But you took it upon yourself and hence I had too dirty my hands then.

red_devil

Back!
rambo seems over excited !!! :D

someone make him a mod for a week...lets see if he can devote enough time for the forum...if he walks the talk keep him...else fcuking BAN HIM :D

looks like rambo is way to pissed [or is he despo to become a mod ?? i have no clue :|] and comes up with what he thinks are "revolutionary" threads...like that "spamming is my birth right" and this one and possibly many other posts...

PS : Rambo for dictator :D

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Phir suru ho gaye...!!!:mad:

Now those who were visiting they would stop and this thread would die eventually...
Plz lock it or have peace.

red_devil

Back!
^ arey yar...start ho gaya hai...khatm bhi kar dete hain ... ya to is taraf ya us taraf...

personally I'd prefer to see the end of it... ban hote hain to hone do... but lets complete what has been started....bekaar ka jhamela kahe ko ??

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth

someone make him a mod for a week...lets see if he can devote enough time for the forum...if he walks the talk keep him...else fcuking BAN HIM :D

looks like rambo is way to pissed [or is he despo to become a mod ?? i have no clue :|] and comes up with what he thinks are "revolutionary" threads...like that "spamming is my birth right" and this one and possibly many other posts...

At least he brings up the issues, its like in-ur-face talk...
Ya, he's a bit over excited cz he's either frustrated or angry...
But he's wasting his time to help OUR forum, if didn't care at all he would've stopped visiting...

OP
victor_rambo

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़

^ Whatever happens...I will still have to my credit that I tried to make this forum a better place rather than just bystanding and asking "other" people like moderators and admins to make this a better place.

I can standup for what I want.

You may not be excited, you may not be pissed off, but you will not have any credit.

red_devil

Back!
At least he brings up the issues, its like in-ur-face talk...
Ya, he's a bit over excited cz he's either frustrated or angry...
But he's wasting his time to help OUR forum, if didn't care at all he would've stopped visiting...

exactly my point... lets see if he can do the job ... if he is all promise and no substance then kick him out...

^ Whatever happens...I will still have to my credit that I tried to make this forum a better place rather than just bystanding and asking "other" people like moderators and admins to make this a better place.

I can standup for what I want.

You may not be excited, you may not be pissed off, but you will not have any credit.

yeah well what i said was a step after what you've done... you in a dabi-dabaayi tone said that you want to take it on yourself to clean up the forum.. and thus i said, give him the power and see... if he does the job...good...else :D

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Yeah, we need all of us together to come to a conclusion, just don't make it a fight club now.

Here are some essential things which I would like to point out, please do see them as they are viable option:

Cosmetic changes:
1. Please change theme back to what it was. The worst thing is that this forum looks like from 90's.

2. Add some other smilies in addition to what we already have.

3. Add a tagging system for posts, searching will be easier. See ubuntuforum.

4. Increase avatar size, at least make it 100x100. Ok this one is optional.

Core changes

1. Users can mark a thread as spam instead of reporting them. If more than 5 users (with post count > 100) mark it as spam then it goes to recycle bin where mods can evaluate if it's really worth to undelete it or not. Some times we report the post bu it takes much time to take action, but this option will delegate some active privilege to users too and will work instantly.

2. Install some mod or run a sql query time to time to lock threads older than 1 year.

3. Make a Hall of Fame section, where chosen articles are archived. Remember to make subcategories in it for Windows, Apple, Open Sources and Tutorials/tips and tricks. A thread will move to hall of fame if it is solved (provide a solved tag when a problem is solved) and it is rated by more than 25 users for 5 stars. These thread should be closed too so that their primary mean is for direct reference to a problem.

Ethics

1. A user should not be banned for name calling or teasing unless he is reported by the victim. We usually do it for fun !

I hope it is not much to ask, see if these options are viable. Thanks :)

Last edited:

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
1. Upgrade forum to latest Vbulletin version.
2. Remove this bulky theme, give us old krish theme.
3. Install few plugins to make management work easy.

To make forum more attractive to members:
1. Increase PM limit.
2. Allow BB code in signature, but disable images, flash, html etc.

Last edited:

krates

Be CoOl rAp RuLeZ !!!
whatever we all want these fcuking error fixed

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107428

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom