Xperia Z or Xperia ZL!!! Plz Help..

abhilashthobias

Journeyman
Guys...Planning to buy a new phone...stuck between xperia z or xperia zl....liked xperia z for the water resistance.....xperia zl coz of IR blaster and better screen(reportedly in many reviews)...only thing I dnt like abt xperia z is the heating issues....and since I use my fon a lot I am not sure how much problems will I have coz of that....is xperia zl better than xperia z or they basically the same apart from the water resistance? Plz help!!!!

Empirial

Youngling
Kya Aap Har Sunday Pool Parties Attend Kartein Hain?
Kya Aap 1 Year Mein 4 Baar Rajasthan or Dubai Holidays Par Jaatein Hai?
If Yes then opt SXZ otherwise buy SXZL & save some cash!

randomuser111

Technomancer
Both Z/ZL do NOT have overheating issue. In FACT they heat up less than Xperia S/SL/Galaxy S3/ One X etc.

Just pick the one you like more, the difference is only in build and size. Screen is also same on both.

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
Both Z/ZL do NOT have overheating issue. In FACT they heat up less than Xperia S/SL/Galaxy S3/ One X etc.

Just pick the one you like more, the difference is only in build and size. Screen is also same on both.

My cousin used Xperia Z for a few days (demo unit in his showroom). He said Xperia Z had overheating issues... He is a geek, a tech lover, not your average shopkeeper. So, I trust his word.

randomuser111

Technomancer
My cousin used Xperia Z for a few days (demo unit in his showroom). He said Xperia Z had overheating issues... He is a geek, a tech lover, not your average shopkeeper. So, I trust his word.

Fair enough. But what I meant was while the Z does heat up, it heats up much less than 2012 flagships. And also since it's water resistant you can always dip it in cold water to cool it down. The HTC One and S4 heat up as much or more than the Z.

All smartphones heat up under heavy usage, with no exceptions. It's only the degree that matters

Why not buy a HTC One instead which costs only a little more than the Xperia Z?

A few reasons I can think of -

1. Smaller screen

2. 3G/4G weak reception

3. Build Quality inconsistencies and gaps, not durable

4. Overheating

5. Not close to stock Android

6. Poor Camera in Daylight, low resolution

7. No microSD card slot, no 64GB option in India

8. Locked bootloader, unfriendly attitude towards developers.

9. Less available RAM, 1.5GB vs 1.8GB on Z

If we look at it the other way ( One over Z) then we have

1. Slightly faster chip

2. Better low light capability

3. Optical Image Stabilization

4. Much better Speakers

5. Easier to hold due to smaller size (though ZL is as compact with a 5 inch screen)

6. Better screen on time on battery

Last edited:

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Build quality is inconsistent in HTC One? :facepalm:
You better be kidding.

Dipping phone in water just because it's water resistant looks funny & lame. Always going near a tap and dipping it in water because you can :rofl:

The changes made to the Android skin looks rather good. I donot think a stock Android user would complain.

Empirial

Youngling
@abhilashthobias You can also look at Lg Optimus G E975, one of the best high end android smartphone available in India :)

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Fair enough. But what I meant was while the Z does heat up, it heats up much less than 2012 flagships. And also since it's water resistant you can always dip it in cold water to cool it down. The HTC One and S4 heat up as much or more than the Z.

All smartphones heat up under heavy usage, with no exceptions. It's only the degree that matters

A few reasons I can think of -

1. Smaller screen but sharper

2. 3G/4G weak reception

3. Build Quality inconsistencies and gaps, not durable lolwut?

4. Overheating

5. Not close to stock Android

6. Poor Camera in Daylight, low resolution

7. No microSD card slot, no 64GB option in India hunto? that might change later

8. Locked bootloader, unfriendly attitude towards developers.

9. Less available RAM, 1.5GB vs 1.8GB on Z hardly makes a difference unless you like to run way too many applications simultaneously

If we look at it the other way ( One over Z) then we have

1. Slightly faster chip

2. Better low light capability

3. Optical Image Stabilization

4. Much better Speakers

5. Easier to hold due to smaller size (though ZL is as compact with a 5 inch screen)

6. Better screen on time on battery

Replies in bold.

If you're getting an Xperia then:

For Z

1. Good for use during adventure sports
2. very good looking

Against Z

1. can only take upto 32GB expansion when ZL can take 2x that
2. horrible camera

For ZL

1. better expansion capacity
2. cheaper

Against ZL

1. Not as good looking as Z
2. not as durable as Z but good enough for city life

IMHO, if the 64GB HTC becomes available in India, it might be a better investment than the sony.

randomuser111

Technomancer
Build quality is inconsistent in HTC One? :facepalm:
You better be kidding.

Dipping phone in water just because it's water resistant looks funny & lame. Always going near a tap and dipping it in water because you can :rofl:

The changes made to the Android skin looks rather good. I donot think a stock Android user would complain.

Do some reading before using the facepalm smiley. In fact I should use it for your reply now

HTC Admits Some Of The HTC One Have Built Issue, But Not All | GSM Insider – Gadgets News From The Insider

HTC One suffers from built issue, body no longer Zero Gap | GSM Insider – Gadgets News From The Insider

*forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2197732

*forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2227615

50 page thread on XDA about build quality and quality control inconsistencies

@Extreme Gamer

Z supports upto 64 GB microSDXC cards. So does the ZL

Last edited:

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
Do some reading before using the facepalm smiley. In fact I should use it for your reply now

HTC Admits Some Of The HTC One Have Built Issue, But Not All | GSM Insider – Gadgets News From The Insider

HTC One suffers from built issue, body no longer Zero Gap | GSM Insider – Gadgets News From The Insider

HTC One tiny gap between casing - xda-developers

Heat & gap concerns - xda-developers

@Extreme Gamer

Z supports upto 64 GB microSDXC cards. So does the ZL

with the next batch of the phones HTC should fix all build quality related issues.

randomuser111

Technomancer
Build quality issues have always been an integral "feature" of HTC phones of late. All their past flagships have had build quality issues. And I personally do not believe they will fix it as since 2 years their phones have had build quality issues and yet they did nothing to fix it.

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
yeah but the dipping the phone in water for cooling is a absurd argument. ( way to sell it though )

Build quality issues have always been an integral "feature" of HTC phones of late. All their past flagships have had build quality issues.

some links would be good.

randomuser111

Technomancer
yeah but the dipping the phone in water for cooling is a absurd argument. ( way to sell it though )

some links would be good.

xda-developers - View Poll Results

Can we trust HTC build quality with One after One X wi fi fiasco? - xda-developers

[Q] Build Quality and serial numbers | HTC One X > XDA

And they pay the price

*www.gsmarena.com/unaudited_q1_results_from_htc_show_98_decline_in_net_profit-news-5827.php

Lowest profits in HTC history for Q1 2013.

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
xda-developers - View Poll Results

Can we trust HTC build quality with One after One X wi fi fiasco? - xda-developers

[Q] Build Quality and serial numbers | HTC One X > XDA

And they pay the price

Unaudited Q1 results from HTC show 98% decline in net profit - GSMArena.com news

Lowest profits in HTC history for Q1 2013.

well in this case OP can wait to see which serial number models are not affected and then go for a htc-one or get a xperia z

but their profits are not connected with build quality issues

all minute details aside, htc one and xperia z are both really good phones. it depends on the OP if he seems to spend 6k extra on the htc one fit. If it were me i would choose xperia z anyday, i tend to leave my phone lying around it catches dust and throw it on the bed and all, so id love the extra ruggedness.

randomuser111

Technomancer
^

Serial numbers thread is on the One X, not One.

Also watch this video, you'll know what I meant when I said HTC One has poor 3G/4G reception

Last edited:

red dragon

Master troll
Go and read the review of One by Brian @ Anandtech
I have not seen One yet,but the display of Z/ZL(retail units not demo)is clearly inferior to Butterfly and I am sure anyone who has seen them side by side(not YouTube videos or reviews)will agree to this.

Another extremely annoying thing in Z is the delay in the launch of the camera app,when someone is coughing up 35k,these little things can not be ignored.
Moreover sq of Z through the hp out is not at all impressive(..and I do not expect htc to be any better given their past history and association with Beats)

randomuser111

Technomancer
^

I've explained to you a 100 times that retail Z/ZL have excellent screens but you still prefer to play deaf.

Here are two posts from a member at a forum you are a member at:

Post No.1 - Seeing a DEMO Z unit

3 - Sadly, what should have been the best feature of the phone, is the worst. The screen is really bad. Blacks are kinda Grey, and the brightness of the screen is kinda low. But the ppi is very impressive.

Post No.2 - After buying Z

I also got the phone today. Let's just say it's insanely incredible!

Apart from this I already posted display quality measurements in the Xperia 2013 thread that proves retail Z/ZL have 1500:1 + contrast ratio and excellent performance wrt greyscale and color accuracy.

Alternatively go through XDA Indian Z owners thread and read what Iphone 5 and Note 2 owners have to say about Z screen.

*forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2106241

You will see many complain about the screen being bad seeing demo units, but once they bought the phone they had nothing but praise for the screen.

Not ONE guy complained about a retail Z screen in that thread over 100 pages.

Anyway @OP

IMPORTANT -

I would honestly suggest you get the Z over ZL. But in any case if the following things worry you then you should buy HTC One or Galaxy S4.

1. You do NOT prefer natural colors but fake over saturated colors and oversharpened images.

2. Speaker loudness is important to you

3. You do not like the idea of opening and closing water resistant flaps everytime

4. You want the best benchmark score.

5. You want excellent low light camera performance only and do not care about daylight camera performance

If any of the above is the case PLEASE do not buy Z/ZL :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom