Windows 7 to be officially named... Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Windows Seven is a good name, but there could have been something better. Using a numeric postfix was, i thought abandoned with Windows XP, but it seems Windows 7 puts it back. Vienna sounds good waise.

Windows 7 will ofcourse be a refined version of Vista with lot of focus on maintaining compatibility with "Made for Vista" applications as well as performance and bloating issues. We have already begun seeing these kind of changes with the news of removal of the Windows Photo Gallery and Messenger (am i right ::confused: ) from it. Microsoft has said officially that in Windows 7, the major focus will be these two things. i think they will tune out the plethora of technologies they introduced in Vista and make them faster and more reliable then ever. Interface, i guess, will also get some makeover but in some post beta 1 builds only, not before that. Lots of new features may appear as well. .NET based applications will get a definite boost in performance, that i am very sure. I think the platform will be very tightly integrated with the core of the new OS.

One thing that i am very happy with now (NOW, when i have my new AERO capable Dell Inspiron lappy :D ) is the shift to the new, hardware accelerated display architecture. It works fantastically well and the smooth and subtle animations it provides appear very pleasing to me personally. And this has also gave rise to Windows Presentation Foundation which allows declarative UI designing and with tools like Expression Blend 2, UI designing is a much more smooth and artistic affair then ever.

.....The interface is horrible.

Excuse me Sir, but for how much time you have been using the Vista Aero UI?? And for how much time you had used it without rehearsing to yourself that Vista or its UI is a crap. I think you should use it with +ve attitude and try exploring the small things that have been tweaked to give better UI experience. Personally, i love the new, dynamic AERO ui, the new explorers as well as the new dialogs and wizard styling. These things have become very user friendly, and easy on eyes. Ya, there are things that are not perfect, like clicking twice to get to the wallpaper changing options, but you have alternatives as well. I mean, for example, why do you need to go to Desktop Properties when you can change the wallpaper right from any explorer window where you see a nice snap! In my opinion that is more natural. Please do post your comments on that and try to elaborate why do you think so.

Last edited:

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Windows 7 will ofcourse be a refined version of Vista with lot of focus on maintaining compatibility with "Made for Vista" applications as well as performance and bloating issues.

I would definitely buy a license if it is a HIGHLY refined version of Vista, WITHOUT internet explorer and windows media player, and outlook express. They can give all these things in an addon cd for those who are really interested.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
@Krazy_About_Technology
Hey the Queen has not knighted me yet, so don't call me sir. My major problems with Vista is the feature bloat, memory usage of the interface and compromise on accessibility. Another problem is that older programs crash on the OS. Been using it for over a year now, and continue to do so because it gives me no virus problems.

@NucleusKore
IE is bound to be there

Indyan

Here Since 2003
I would definitely buy a license if it is a HIGHLY refined version of Vista, WITHOUT internet explorer and windows media player, and outlook express. They can give all these things in an addon cd for those who are really interested.

A computer without IE would be heavily crippled. For eg. IE is required to open help files (chm). I dont see how the presense of IE or WMP is gonna cause a problem. You can always use something else as the default.

The name sounds good. Neat, simple and professional. I hope the OS feels the same way. I want it to be completely modular. And I hope MS keeps up its old promise of WinFS. If they can't, they are always welcome to implement ReiserFS4 support in Window_7, since its expected to become stable around the time Win7 releases, and is the fastest file system in the world today.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Here see these too::

*www.overclockers.com/index.php?opt...whats-in-a-name&catid=58:software&Itemid=4264

*www.tech2.com/india/news/software/windows-7-officially-named-windows-7/49501/0

NucleusKore

TheSaint
A computer without IE would be heavily crippled. For eg. IE is required to open help files (chm). I dont see how the presense of IE or WMP is gonna cause a problem. You can always use something else as the default.

Is IE an ABSOLUTE necessary to view chm files?

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
^^ Why are you concerned about IE and WMP? You can always use Firefox/Chrome and VLC for that matter. :D

I personally like the name 7. Or maybe it could have Vienna as a nickname. Like Windows 7 : Vienna.

@ Anorion. Welcome! :)

Indyan

Here Since 2003
Is IE an ABSOLUTE necessary to view chm files?

Yeah. I had actually corrupted my IE v7 installation, so I did try looking online for alternate chm readers. Didnt find any decent ones. I did find one which didnt use ie engine but it was crap.

Btw, MS announced today that Windows 7 would have WIndows 6.1 core

Windows 7 sounds good, although releasing another OS just after Vista might be a bit to early.
But heck, after releasing a series of OSes in 2000-02, the final OS (XP) turned out to be the clincher
I guess thats the pattern they will follow :rolleyes:

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
Windows 7 sounds good, although releasing another OS just after Vista might be a bit to early.
But heck, after releasing a series of OSes in 2000-02, the final OS (XP) turned out to be the clincher
I guess thats the pattern they will follow :rolleyes:
its not early. Wiondows Vista was released in jan. 2007, and windows 7 is planned to be released in 2010..means gap of 3 years. 3 years is sufficients for new OS release.

Windows XP was first released on 25 October 2001, and windows 2000 was released on 17 February 2000, means just gap of 1 and 1/2 years.

Thanks for the facts..gotta brush up a bit :D
But there were rumurs that Vista will be the last major addition to the Windows Parivar
Thats been put to rest ever since we heard of Windows 7

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
But there were rumurs that Vista will be the last major addition to the Windows Parivar
Thats been put to rest ever since we heard of Windows 7
There will be no last major Microsoft winows OS. It will continue like this only.

Last edited:
Well, the same rumours existed back in 1999, when Windows 98 was said to be the last windows, since MS were making a "new" OS. But MS was no idiot. They kept the windows brand name, which formerly refered to a GUI extention for MS-DOS, and released the "new OS" as Windows NT. Maybe Midori too may end up as "Windows Omega" or something.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
A computer without IE would be heavily crippled. For eg. IE is required to open help files (chm)...

It is not. Have you tried this

*help-explorer-viewer.helpexplorer-software.qarchive.org/

Works in both Windows and Linux ;)

*s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj44/visio159/Unismilies/38large.png

Proof:

*img407.imageshack.us/img407/2839/chmpa3.th.png

Last edited:

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Yes, what I want to say is that there is no ABSOLUTE necessity to integrate IE with Windows. If I can open a chm in WINE using the above software then IE is not required to open chm files as Indyan seems to suggest.

Considering all the anti-monopoly suits they face, it would do them good to give all these things like WMP, IE and OE in an addon cd.

Personally I use kchmviewer in openSUSE but this thread is about windows 7 and not linux. I only wanted to prove that IE is not required to open chm files, hence the above post.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom