Windows 7 to be officially named... Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

sakumar79

Technomancer
On the one hand, people are talking about removing all the "unnecessary" addons in Windows... On the other hand, people compare the "out of the box" features provided by Windows with those of Mac and Linux... With Linux, the addons are open-source just like Linux and so, it blends with the interface and there is no talk of monopoly... But with Windows, the addons are propriety products of Windows, and so, providing these addons are considered monopoly practises... But if the addons are provided on separate CD and not with the default installation, Windows will definitely lose a lot of ground in the out of the box experience comparison...

My question is, why the hell is it so important that the addons are not installed with Windows? It just makes no sense to me... If a person wants to use a different software than the bundled addon, he is fully free to do it... If Linux did not or could not bundle similar addons, it would make sense to level the playing field... But if Windows is not allowed to bundle these addons while Linux can bundle similar addons, it is basically giving a huge advantage to Linux just because it is open source...

Arun

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Yes sakumar79 I take your point. At least let them be completely uninstallable ! When you install a linux distro you can choose a desktop environment. If there is no choice you can always download another desktop environment and install it later. In Windows you cannot uninstall IE or OE or WMP as these are locked within the OS. All I am asking is that they make it modular.

sakumar79

Technomancer
In Linux, to choose a different desktop environment, is it absolutely necessary to remove the existing environment? So, why is it necessary to remove IE, OE and WMP in order to use Firefox, Thunderbird and Winamp?

Also, these addons have been offered since Windows 3.x or 9x... They form a part of the Windows experience that most people are used to... It is only Open source activists that want to have these removed... They have an ulterior motive because this will give Linux a major advantage in out of the box experience... For common users, it makes no difference... Personally, I use Opera, Eudora and Winamp... But I dont care a damn whether IE/OE/WMP are removed or not...

Also note that IE is integral to Windows not just in terms of CHM... Many software (I think Quicken is one of them) use IE engine in the background to connect to the net... Many macros also may require IE engine... Since IE is in the background we dont know that it is being used and think that it is safe to remove it... But in reality, many internal components and thirdparty software need it... So whats the harm in letting it be?

Arun

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom